1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Why should I upgrade? (rambling)

First

Back
1 2
4 5
Next

Last
  1. legoman
    Membership in "Team AKG" does not preclude concurrent membership in other teams.

People that feel the need to overjelously defend their holy AKGs from other people with differing preferences harm rather than promote the case for a more widespread acceptance of AKGs as high quality headphones.

I love my 501s.

2. Neruda
    I don't have a problem with other people's opinions, vertigo; I have a problem when we try to explain our opinions and for some reason people get angry at us! I've seen it several times over the past few months, and I'm getting sick of it.

3. jude Administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
    I don't have a problem with other people's opinions, vertigo; I have a problem when we try to explain our opinions and for some reason people get angry at us! I've seen it several times over the past few months, and I'm getting sick of it.

One must admit that Team AKG is a feisty bunch! [​IMG]

4. wab
    Neruda and Xander, I am not angry or anything it's just that this thread was never meant to discuss AKG's. First there were 4 on topic replies and then "Team AKG" came in and there were 25 replies about why AKG is the best or not.

5. wab
    On topic:
    Am I the only one who feels like this? (about upgrading I mean). I especially think it's kind of weird to pair up high-end headphones with low end components like portables and stuff. When I listen to my HD495's on my Marantz CD6000 there is a HUGE improvement over my portables. Could a HD600 and a portable sound better than a HD495 and the Marantz? I should try that sometime..
    [​IMG]

6. pigmode
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

I have to smile when I see these issues pop up time after time. It's just really funny.

Part of it is that people sometimes take criticism of their chosen headphones as criticisim of their prowess as audiophiles. You can cite the graphs all day long but in an absolute sense, nothing in audio is truely transparent. Nothing. As everyone knows, once you reach a certain level, it's all a matter of personal taste.

The more in detail you discuss the listening of music, the farther you get away from it, because music is principly enjoyed at the instinctual level as opposed to the intellectual. The intellectual part comes in when we want to communicate the feelings experienced.

7. KR... Contributor
    This is all some pretty funny stuff! Team AKG sure are loyal to AKG's, I'll give them that. It's even funnier when every headphone that isn't AKG is desribed as honky, brittle, colored, and artificial. People who don't agreed with this have tin ears, never heard live music, hates live music, hates nuetral headphones, have bad sources, have bad amps, are not listening to the right types of music, is not an audiophile, bah, bah, bah.[​IMG]

It's also funny how they bash other headphones by grossly exaggerating even the smallest of faults, or if they don't have any faults, they just make some up. As well by exaggerating AKG's strengths, or by making some up. Also, it's funny how they bash headphones and amps that they never even heard before. That's cracks me up every single time![​IMG]

All of these things are used to PROVE for a FACT that AKG headphones are the world's greatest. Any attempt by anyone else to form their own opinion better get prepared to get flamed.[​IMG]

Well, now that I think about it, it's more sad and pathetic than funny. [​IMG]

(it should be noted that not all AKG owners are like this, most are mature enough not to do the things described above)

8. Xander
    Personally, I think you guys are attacking US more so then the other way around. The first insult always seems to come from someone else, and in this thread, they seem to dominate the immmature aspect in which you speak about.

I've listened to the HD580s on the Creek OBH11 (is this bad? I'm trying to be nice) and my findings were the same as Nerudas. Maybe it's because we come from a more audio related background, whereas you guys are just casual headphone phenatics? Theyre great sounding headphones, though. No doubt about that.

Then I've got Tomcat, who blabs about how boring the AKG's are, whos telling me what Beyers to listen to for exciting music. I hunt them down and drive for an hour to get to the proper audio shop only to find gobs of bass and treble and something in between called midrange. Can you guess which Beyers I listened to?

The AKGs, on the other hand, are FAR from neutral. HOWEVER, they don't have too much bass, or mids, or treble. They're a very balanced sounding headphone, with a somewhat lean low-end response, and a large soundstage, which I DONT believe is false for more then several reasons. It's definatly better then the 2D in your head soundstages you guys are enjoying, anyway...

I've never said anything to offend any other phone, accept for the ones I had previously only heard. The Grado SR80s, which sound like ****. And yeah, I'm flame bait for that one. But it's true. The HD570s, which sounded even worse, and the AKG's.

9. Tomcat Contributor
    Quote:

Then I've got Tomcat, who blabs about how boring the AKG's are, whos telling me what Beyers to listen to for exciting music. I hunt them down and drive for an hour to get to the proper audio shop only to find gobs of bass and treble and something in between called midrange. Can you guess which Beyers I listened to?

Xander:
    Did you take your AKGs along to compare the Beyer 770s to them? [​IMG]

Why don't you post a review and end this ubiquitous 770-hype once and for all. I say, it's about time. [​IMG]

10. pigmode
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xander
    Personally, I think you guys are attacking US more so then the other way around...

Maybe it's because we come from a more audio related background, whereas you guys are just casual headphone phenatics?

How can comments like that be interpreted as anything but a personal attack? It doesn't bother me to tell you the truth, because I can fully understand the ramblings of a Young Turk for what it is, but it's got to be one source of the problem, don't you think?

11. Vertigo-1
    Quote:

I just heard them recently on a OBH11... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, you guys have to be on CRACK to think they sound bad. Maybe you're just still too used to severely colored sound and 2-dimensional sound stages...

Quote:

It's definatly better then the 2D in your head soundstages you guys are enjoying, anyway...

I have no idea where you're getting the idea that the AKGs have a better "3d" soundstage than any other headphone. To this day, there isn't a single pair of headphone that I've heard that can render a stereo recording in the same fashion as a simple binaural recording, which TRULY sounds three dimensional on absolutely any headphone. Unless you're listening to binaural recordings where the rest of us are not, the AKGs are NOT anymore 3d than the next headphone.

Also, Xander and Neruda and Beagle all believe the AKGs have the most realistic soundstage, the most neutral, evened out sound, and that it presents music the way it really should be, so these are THE holy grail headphones. I see it a totally different way. To me, all the strengths as listed by "Team AKG" is simply the signature sound AKG gives to their headphones, especially the spacious soundstage. It even makes sense as their ultimate headphone is based upon creating the largest soundstage possible on a headphone over anything else. I'm also not surprised AKGs are tonally more neutral than other headphones...AKGs have a stong market and place in the professional industry, where accuracy and neutrality play a far bigger role than musicality. The point is, AKGs are NOT any better than the next headphone, because I believe they simply have their own signature sound, just like every other high end headphone that's out there. I do not doubt they are good headphones...I've heard the K501 before, and it was indeed worthy of being with the HD-600, RS-1, CD3000, the typical bunch of good headphones. But, I wouldn't go so far as to call it the reference headphone, just because it has a bigger soundstage, or sounds more evened out. That's just simply the signature sound in that product lineup.

12. Xander
    Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode

How can comments like that be interpreted as anything but a personal attack? It doesn't bother me to tell you the truth, because I can fully understand the ramblings of a Young Turk for what it is, but it's got to be one source of the problem, don't you think?

I bet you had to go and read my profile before you made that comment. You're comment is probably the aphex of the horrible maturity level in this thread, too.

I'm trying to tell it like it is. And theres plenty of times where others have insulted fellow head-fi'ers headphones, however, this is the first time I've done that, and only because I'm fed up with the comments coming from the other end.

It seems to me that most of you arent all-out audio phenatics.. Which is what my comment was trying to portray. After listening to the Beyers, I honestly don't know what to think anymore. I didnt listen real long, and I didnt compare to my AKGs, but I definatly didnt like what I heard. I'm sure you're all very serious about your headphones, but in my opinion, someone who swears by the Beyers definatly enjoys fun, colored sound, and NOT neutrality. Theres nothing wrong with this. The point I tried to make with that comment was that, theres two seperate groups of people here.. Ones who enjoy fun sound, and those who enjoy listening on more neutral headphones. I definatly didnt want to insult anybody with my comment, but I can see now how it might do just that.

This is the first comment of such nature that I've made as well, so It's apparently not part of the problem. Atleast, not until this moment. Maybe you don't pay attention enough? It's funny how I'm allowed to be insulted, attacked, and so forth, but when I fight back, I'm completely swamped by comments like these...

Also, I thought I might add. The Young Turk comment and ones like it are highly over used. This is the most common point made by anyone who is old enough to be assumed mature, but isnt...

13. pigmode
    No, I didn't bother to read your profile. I do recall somewhere that you were either in high school or college.

It doesn't matter anyway. I don't mean anything personal, and I don't think you mean it that way either. I know what I've read and that is what I was responding to.

14. Xander
    heh.

15. Xander
    I dont feel like arguing any more. But I have to say a few things.

I don't feel the AKGs are more "three dee" then any other headphone, other then a few, and a lot of cheaper ones that I've heard that arent worth mentioning.. I don't think theyre better then every other headphone in their class. I don't think theyre the most exciting headphone to listen to. I enjoy them because, to me, they represent the most neutral reproduction I could find without auditioning headphones. It seems myself, and Neruda are both seeking the same thing. Neutrality, while otheres seem to just head for the sound they enjoy the most. I want most of my recordings to sound good on my headphones, and as I type this, they do. Especially some bass heavier CDs, which I feel would sound WAY too dark if my headphones had any more bass then they already do. When I was a big hi-fi buff, the idea was to get the music trough, without hearing the system.. I'm still applying this same rule to headphones. It's not just a matter of sounding "good" but un-colored, as well.

First

Back
1 2
4 5
Next

Last