Why Obscure Prices on Sold Items?
Apr 24, 2015 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

GregH

New Head-Fier
Not trying to start a war here but, rather, I am legitimately curious: what is the reason for obscuring or deleting the price at which an item was sold?
As a newbie it is helpful to me to see how used pricing compares to new. I am shopping for value and considering a wide variety of equipment so seeing the prices along with the equipment descriptions helps quite a bit.
How does it aid the seller to delete the price on an item which sold?

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 12
The price is part of the listing form that you use. Once you mark a classified item as closed, it automatically removes the price from the listing unless the person put it in the text of the ad.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #4 of 12
The price is part of the listing form that you use. Once you mark a classified item as closed, it automatically removes the price from the listing unless the person put it in the text of the ad.

cel (nice avatar, btw),
I am actually asking about the text within the ad. I've noticed that a number of sellers will edit out the price, within the text of the ad, with "SOLD" or simply delete it. I wish they wouldn't do that as it removes information useful to buyers doing their homework.
Why do they do it? How does seller benefit?

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 12
I think its one less aspect (and potential source of conflict between members) for forum moderators to moderate.

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 12
cel (nice avatar, btw),
I am actually asking about the text within the ad. I've noticed that a number of sellers will edit out the price, within the text of the ad, with "SOLD" or simply delete it. I wish they wouldn't do that as it removes information useful to buyers doing their homework.
Why do they do it? How does seller benefit?

Obviously, in multiple item ads, people are replacing the price with sold to avoid confusion over which item is still available. With single item ads, perhaps they just want to leave no doubt as well that the item is sold so people don't bug them. Also, this is a common practice on Internet sales forums everywhere, in my experience.

Sure, might be nice if no one ever did that for those that want to look up previous prices. But they do. Not sure what you expect to find out since who knows why people on the Internet do different things? All we can do is wildly speculate.

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 12
One of the big reasons from my understanding is so that old prices do not influence later prices (and expectations). You'll see trends in pricing for some items where they go up or down, and this lets later sellers get the most for what they are selling without a bunch of people referencing the one listing 15 months ago that sold it for 10% less

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 12
Not sure what you expect to find out ...

Nothing nefarious, just trying to get a framework for what prices for a particular device were "reasonable" at a particular time. I understand adjusting for time value of money and the seller sets his own price as he sees fit. Again, the extra information would be helpful to prospective buyers.

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 12
  I think its one less aspect (and potential source of conflict between members) for forum moderators to moderate.

^ this ...

It's actually quite surprising that the For Sale section is still going strong.  One would've thought it w​ould be a focus of abuse a long time ago.  Perhaps that's due to the rules and the excellent moderation. 
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 12
^ this ...

It's actually quite surprising that the For Sale section is still going strong.  One would've thought it w​ould be a focus of abuse a long time ago.  Perhaps that's due to the rules and the excellent moderation. :wink:  

+1

The rule of don't use PayPal gift is one that makes a difference. Makes it harder for scammers to come in and try to fleece people with PayPal policy backing the transaction as a product sale.

Apr 25, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 12
+1 on good moderation.
I'm a mod on a motorcycle board and it is a never-ending job to keep the spammers and general internet nuisance-makers from causing trouble.

Note: I was not trying to be a nuisance with this thread. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back