Why no love for Fubar III USB DAC/Amp?
Dec 14, 2007 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jpstereo

500+ Head-Fier
Is it really that bad? Is the iBasso D1 that much better? Looks to be a solid unit. Help me choose a USB DAC/AMP for under $250.

Many thanks,

John
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 13
Hey there jpstereo,

I myself wondered that same thing when I was heavily researching DAC/Amp combos. I think the D1 may be considered a bit more "portable", putting it in another category, but compared to others, it's still not that small.

The Fubar products certainly look nice. Well constructed and a reputable company AFAIK. I think, as with all forums of this type, there is a type of "pack mentality" (for lack of a better term) that makes certain products extremely popular for awhile. During that time, they overshadow many other perfectly good products. After a bit of time has passed, you'll start to see some D1's FS I think. I know there's a cute term for this phenomenon, but I can't think of it right now.

BTW, I ended up going with a simple SuperPro DAC707. It was really cheap, yet has pretty good internals for the price. I already had a serviceable amp, so all I really needed was a DAC.

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Flavor of the Month"
tongue.gif
. I personally didn't like the Fubar III, and many of us, that have tried it, don't like the sound sig very much, so the Fubar isn't mentioned.

Many thanks for your responses. Souperman, I noticed that you had/sold the iBasso. Can you offer additional suggestions for a USB/DAC AMp in that price range. I am aware of the Leckerton, iBasso, Fubar and Sheck H1. Perhaps the iBasso is the best of the bunch.

Regards,

John
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpstereo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it really that bad? Is the iBasso D1 that much better? Looks to be a solid unit. Help me choose a USB DAC/AMP for under $250.

Many thanks,

John
smily_headphones1.gif

I have tried the fubarIII with the supplier.

Lack of dynamic and impact.
No excitement at all.

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried the fubarIII with the supplier.

Lack of dynamic and impact.
No excitement at all.

Even with the upgraded power supply? That doesn't bode well. Looks like I am leaning towards the iBasso D1. Many thanks for your impressions.

John

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Even with the upgraded power supply? That doesn't bode well. Looks like I am leaning towards the iBasso D1. Many thanks for your impressions.

John

Yes with the upgraded power supply. I never heard without ...

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Many thanks for your responses. Souperman, I noticed that you had/sold the iBasso. Can you offer additional suggestions for a USB/DAC AMp in that price range. I am aware of the Leckerton, iBasso, Fubar and Sheck H1. Perhaps the iBasso is the best of the bunch.

Regards,

John
smily_headphones1.gif

I sold it because I needed the money more. I think the D1 would be your best bet right now. Or you can wait for the D2 to come out next month. It should be smaller, and possibly a better amp section as it's using 4-channel technology. Personally I'm waiting for the D2 (part of the reason I sold the D1). The D2 should be cheaper according to sources (<$200) because of the lack of other inputs (I don't use any other than USB anyways), but don't quote me on that. I would wait
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 13
Are there any good DAC that are around the same price range?

I don't need a portable DAC and I have a better portable Amp too. So D1 really don't suit me...

I can only think of USB Monica..

Dec 16, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any good DAC that are around the same price range?

I don't need a portable DAC and I have a better portable Amp too. So D1 really don't suit me...

I can only think of USB Monica..

Alien DAC.

Dec 16, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #12 of 13
The D2 is supposed to have the same amp section as the P2. It has a discrete output and has plenty of get up and go. I don't think the D2 will have any problems driving most phones and the amp section of the P2 is shaping up to be extremely good. The D2 is supposed to also offer dip's so you can mold the sound to your liking. While not being as small as a Pico or Predator the price and other options are very alluring. I have also been impressed with the soldering and component layout of the newer iBasso products. As with the RSA and HeadAmp qualities of build and components, others are also joining this higher end of portability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back