Why live ?
Mar 7, 2006 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

]|[ GorE

500+ Head-Fier
I would like to state foremost that this thread is not a depression kinda thread after all my troubles.

My situation is that i am satisfied in life.Good home,good parents who do fulfill most of my desires.I am not religious any longer(lost faith in god about 2 years ago.Stopped bible study) and theres just no will power left in me.The fact that i havent been doing well academically recently adds even more flame to my condition...and the girl troubles bad too.
At this moment in my life,i dont see ANY reason to go-on living.Theres no ambition,no dream,no short term goal/aim,nothing.I dont have my parents with me neither are my best friends.Stuck in the university trying to pass each exam as they come...........and thats that.I also happen to be satisfied with my current audio equipment.

Why and what for should i live ?
eek.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 99
Here we go again. Didn't you already have a long thread like this already? About wanting to die and not having a reason to live? I'm starting to think you just want attention.

Go a see a doctor. If we didn't get to you before, we sure as hell ain't gonna now. You need professional guidance. I'm not being sarcastic, go to counseling.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 99
I recall that earlier thread too. At the time I recall advising you not to enter a relationship before you "righted your own ship" so to speak, because adding a relationship to the pot wouldn't improve your mood in the long run - just the opposite, it just complicates things and might cause even more depression - plus the fact that it wouldn't be fair to your new partner going into it blind.

I hate saying "I told you so" but in this case I have to say it's time for the stopgap emotional measures to stop, and it's time for some counseling. There's no shame in it, getting help is an admirable thing, and ultimately the people around you will appreciate it as much as you will appreciate it for yourself.

Headphones are fun, and girlfriends are fun, but if you have an underlying issue that overshadows your ability to enjoy these things, take it seriously.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 99
Good question.

I've often contemplated on suicide in a purely academic way.

I'm content to selfishly absorb art, media, and information, every moment I'm alive I learn something, so it appears I'm passionate about living, but in moments of introspection even this seemingly positive plan can seem depressingly deterministic--if you've been thinking along with Hideo Kojima, our whole purpose is just to spread genes and memes; hardly seems noble.

Basically everything I do in life, I can ask 'what's the point' and have no satisfactory answer besides maybe 'it makes me feel good'. When I'm fishing or riding my skateboard or listening to music, these feelings don't manifest themselves, so I do those things as much as possible, but that reeks of escapism....
Macroscopically, the human race is pretty much about grabbing power and killing people more efficiently, and stamping on people...even academia and technology are based on this.

Basically life is kind of pointless without a good religious faith. And religious faith seems like another form of blind escapism to me.

So basically I will float through my life, fulfilling my duty as a meme/gene host, attempting to gain as much power as possible, while selectively feeding my brain enough of the right kind of art/information to convince myself that I shouldn't just go jump off a building, thereby contributing to the perpetuation of a clueless, hairless race of bipedal beings on a small planet in the Milky Way.

That probably didn't help much, except maybe in letting you know that you're not the only 'undepressed' suicidal person in the world. People will tell you to go to a doctor so that they can brainwash you and drug you back into 'health' as defined by the medical establishment. But basically, if you want to kill yourself, that's ultimately your choice IMO, unless you hold responsibility for family etc.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE
...I am not religious any longer(lost faith in god about 2 years ago.Stopped bible study)...

Maybe this is where your problem stems from.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 99
Quote:

At this moment in my life,i dont see ANY reason to go-on living.Theres no ambition,no dream,no short term goal/aim,nothing.I dont have my parents with me neither are my best friends.Stuck in the university trying to pass each exam as they come...........and thats that.I also happen to be satisfied with my current audio equipment.

Why and what for should i live ?
eek.gif

See that last sentence? Say it over and over again and then find something.

Go out and give back to others that are less fortunate than yourself. Do something to give back to the community in order to make you feel good about yourself deep down.

I already made the suggestion to you, in your last depression thread, that you really should consider taking up weightlifting. Any building up of the physical body results automatically in building up of the mental and emotional states as well. When you start to see physical improvements in your appearance you will get a feeling of success, accomplishment, and achievement. The same feelings you got when you were a little kid learning new things on a daily basis that made life such a stupendous joy. That's what you have to get back to.

Find something that makes you love life again. Odds are that won't involve sitting in front of a computer.

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 99
But train, the intellectual pursuit of the question "why" is the driving force behind your continued desire to exist in order to satisfy that curiosity in you, and even to determine what drives that curiosity.

Gore's situation is a little different. It sounds like he's starting not to care why, and wants to opt out without considering any of the reasons why he shouldn't. Those kinds of things can't be approached purely from an academic stance, and instead might be an indicator of actual depression.

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 99
Quote:

I am not mentally unfit.And i definitely dont wanna die.Just looking for a reason to live.

Coulda fooled me. Seriously man, get some help. I really think you're just yearning for attention, for us to feel sorry for you. Well I do, but not in the way you want. Start trying to fix your problems instead of continuosly whining. We gave you advice then and now, yet you still ignore us.

If you guys think I sound harsh, well, I've been in the same boat, so I have an idea of how it goes.

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #13 of 99
Quote:

I am not mentally unfit.And i definitely dont wanna die.Just looking for a reason to live.

Say that line out loud to a counselor and see what he/she says. It couldn't hurt just to go in there and talk it out, could it? After all you're posting it out to us, and we're not as qualified to give you an answer as a pro would be.

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #15 of 99
Maybe i should go see a psychiatrist tomorrow.....

Edit:I dont want the psy. to call up my parents/grandparents and stuff like the phone number/address etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back