Why is the AKG K540 headphone so unknown on this site?
Feb 14, 2014 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dakanao

Headphoneus Supremus
And all the other AKG's are, like the new K545? I mean, they're $100, but seriously can compete with the Shure SRH-840! So it's weird that a headphone with such a great value is quite unknown over here...

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 18
My friend has them, I listened to them a little bit last year, they're okay I'm not familiar with other headphones at that low of a price range but the form factor was a big turn off for me,  they're on ears but they're massive and aren't easy to transport (compared to other on ears)

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 18
  My friend has them, I listened to them a little bit last year, they're okay I'm not familiar with other headphones at that low of a price range but the form factor was a big turn off for me,  they're on ears but they're massive and aren't easy to transport (compared to other on ears)

On ear? They're definitely OVER-ear for me... I also think they TRUMP the Shure SRH-440, Philips CitiScape Uptown and Philips Fidelio L1 if we're talking about naturalness of the sound, and all those headphones are at the same price range like the K540's.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 18
It's obvious. The K540 wasn't marketed in the US, and actually it's rather hard to find, except via international stores. So if not many people have it, then obviously there's not going to be much of a discussion.

Plus, it sits in the $100-150 range which is saturated with so many good sounding headphones. Sorry, unless it sounds exceptionally good, it won't get much traction here at Head-Fi (Hype-Forget).

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 18
  It's obvious. The K540 wasn't marketed in the US, and actually it's rather hard to find, except via international stores. So if not many people have it, then obviously there's not going to be much of a discussion.

Plus, it sits in the $100-150 range which is saturated with so many good sounding headphones. Sorry, unless it sounds exceptionally good, it won't get much traction here at Head-Fi (Hype-Forget).

Well, if you don't consider the sound quality that sounds similar to the 840's, only with more bass and slightly more clarity, but thinner midrange not exceptionally good in that price range, I sure as hell don't know WHAT is exceptionally good at that price. 

The headphones I described in my first post are considered some of the best in their price range ($100), but I think it's fair to say that they kind of suck compared to the K540's. There just is no competition.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 18
I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying very good products are forgotten here simply because of FOTM cycles and the huge amount of new products entering the market.

Even if you think they sound amazing, and even if you manage to convince some people to try the k540, in another month or two it'll be forgotten...

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 18
Oh? I think I might buy one. Care to post a few pictures for me?
EDIT: You posted a review that says they suck a few months back? Hmm.
I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying very good products are forgotten here simply because of FOTM cycles and the huge amount of new products entering the market.

Even if you think they sound amazing, and even if you manage to convince some people to try the k540, in another month or two it'll be forgotten...
Nah. Some things don't die out. Take for example the HD650 appreciation thread and how it just reached 20,000 posts. Good cans are never forgotten entirely.

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 18
Oh? I think I might buy one. Care to post a few pictures for me?
EDIT: You posted a review that says they suck a few months back? Hmm.
Nah. Some things don't die out. Take for example the HD650 appreciation thread and how it just reached 20,000 posts. Good cans are never forgotten entirely.

That was with my previous soundcard and before they were fully burned in. But they broke since April, and now I have the JVC HA-S680 which sounds better.

Nov 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #9 of 18
It doesn't help that they apparently changed the design somewhere along the line which causes them to sound different.  Between myself and 2 friends we have 5 pairs of AKG K540 headphones.  We each have a pair that's older that came from a few deals at the Musician's Friend in late 2011 / early 2012 time frame.  Two of us have a second newer pair sourced from Asia in 2014.  The newer ones from Asia don't sound good IMHO.  Whereas the older pairs are fantastic.  The new ones are sibilant and sound like they have a tipped up treble response and recessed mids (likely from the treble dominance).

I'm trying to get a second pair that sounds like the first older pair I have, but it is proving challenging.

Nov 11, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #10 of 18
It doesn't help that they apparently changed the design somewhere along the line which causes them to sound different.  Between myself and 2 friends we have 5 pairs of AKG K540 headphones.  We each have a pair that's older that came from a few deals at the Musician's Friend in late 2011 / early 2012 time frame.  Two of us have a second newer pair sourced from Asia in 2014.  The newer ones from Asia don't sound good IMHO.  Whereas the older pairs are fantastic.  The new ones are sibilant and sound like they have a tipped up treble response and recessed mids (likely from the treble dominance).

I'm trying to get a second pair that sounds like the first older pair I have, but it is proving challenging.
oh? Well this is interesting indeed...

Nov 11, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 18
oh? Well this is interesting indeed...

I'd describe it more as very frustrating.
mad.gif

We did a shootout of the three older pairs and found them to be indistinguishable from one another.  The new ones you can pick out with even A/B'ing them to the old ones.

Nov 11, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 18

The old pair could get sibilant as well on slightly overly bright/slightly lower quality recordings. They also lacked detail compared to my JVC HA-S680 which I have now.

But they did have very good clarity though.

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #14 of 18
  Well, now you've gone and made me buy a pair of the HA-S680s...

Those are a very good value for your money. The treble quality is waaaay better of the JVC's than those of the AKG's (they basically never get sibilant, even with poorer quality recordings), mids are more forward, even more realistic and clearer than the K540's.

And on overly bright recordings, they can sound truly amazing.

But the bass can be boomy and overwhelming a lot of times.

But the mids and highs sound better than the Sennheiser Momentum even, and that of 6x less the cost!

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #15 of 18
Those are a very good value for your money. The treble quality is waaaay better of the JVC's than those of the AKG's (they basically never get sibilant, even with poorer quality recordings), mids are more forward, even more realistic and clearer than the K540's.

And on overly bright recordings, they can sound truly amazing.

But the bass can be boomy and overwhelming a lot of times.

But the mids and highs sound better than the Sennheiser Momentum even, and that of 6x less the cost!
Heh. I found the Sennheiser Urbanite lags behind all the cans I already own when I auditioned them for a week for my preferences. My favorite cans I currently own are the AKG K240. I was looking at the HA-S680's, but I doubt they'd give me anything I don't already get from my other portables, but if they are that great I may as well go ahead and buy them and give them a fair review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back