Why is noone competing with Xin?
Mar 11, 2006 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm just curious. Xin seems to be in a class of his own as far as superportable amps are concerned. In the three+ years I've been a member of Head-Fi, no-one else seems to have shown up with a product to compete head-on, yet we have ostensively pocket-sized [size=xx-small](I don't think so, especially if you consider you have to pocket a DAP as well)[/size], cigarette-packet sizes and up amps coming out of our ears as it were.

For their dimensions alone, given that all his amps do a decent job the Xin amps are the only ones so far which I would actually use, and would recommend to people who actually want to go amped-portable.

But I'd like more choice. Why isn't anyone competing?

Mar 11, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 48
A very limited niche market? I guess that presupposes no-one is interested in portable music as exemplified by Ipod-Nano. Maybe the more correct answer is that no-one has correctly zeroed-in on that "niche market" as well as Xin. It seems to me that Portaphile comes quite close - but the prize still goes to Xin in this category - no-one does it better. Mate a Xin Supermini ( amputated Sik)/ Nano , and the only wish I'd have is for Sik to markedly shorten their cable [I prefer their small connector to those of the other makers in this instance]).

Mar 11, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 48
What do you mean? There is the Portaphile, Super Mini Moy, Go-Vibe, amongst others that use the same small Hammond enclosure as the Xin amps. Out of those, I've only owned a Portaphile V.2 and it's an excellent amp.

Now Ray's Hornet is even smaller!

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 48
oski - the Xin Supermini is smaller than the others and does NOT use the Hammond case. Even smaller is his Supermicro. But, I'd also agree that Portaphile is an excellent amp (I have a X3 [plussed] and will purchase a 2^2 maxxed in aprox. 6 weeks - but these are for a different use), but does not provide all of the features and smaller size of the Xin Supermini.

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 48
I'm sure this will get the pro-Xin crowd jumping all over me, but I've always been a little bit turned off by the Xin approach, especially with the Macro. I'm sure it does sound good, but the schematics on that amp must be so complicated. IMO, if you lose the extraneous stuff (bass boost, crossfeed, whatever) and focus all the design effort on the SQ, you've got a definite winner.

Peace,

Graz

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
I'm sure it does sound good, but the schematics on that amp must be so complicated. IMO, if you lose the extraneous stuff (bass boost, crossfeed, whatever) and focus all the design effort on the SQ, you've got a definite winner.

Let me assure you that it does sound good despite all the options other amps can only dream of
wink.gif

I too have no idea why there are no other ultraportable amps. Maybe there truly is too little market and/or the effort to beat what Xin has already out there would be too high.

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The Supermacro gets into the 'other amp' territory. I'm talking about the Mini and Micro.

Supermini has always been my favorite amp. For me it's the perfect balance between sound quality and portability. Xin is the only amp maker that uses AAA batteries, I think it helps to reduce the weight and size significantly.

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

But I'd like more choice. Why isn't anyone competing?

imo answer is a SQ point which deminuish returns
btw size of ipod + Hornet is not that different from size of ipod + Supermini

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Let me assure you that it does sound good despite all the options other amps can only dream of
wink.gif

I too have no idea why there are no other ultraportable amps. Maybe there truly is too little market and/or the effort to beat what Xin has already out there would be too high.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Dr. Xin has established himself as one of the more innovative and skillful designers of ultra small amps with features that are indeed hard to beat. Seemingly everyone is interested in smaller and better designs. Xin has capitalized on this and has become the benchmark of sorts for truly small, well built, and feature-rich portable amps.

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #13 of 48
Who is Noone?
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 48
“Why is no one competing with Xin?”

My guess is Xin probably works like a madman meeting orders and probably makes minimum wage for all his time and effort. Few sane people are willing to put in that much time and effort for such little actual return on thier investment.

Even with his volume it’s probably not reasonable to do large assembly orders to reduce costs to increase profits.

So all that combined probably makes the effort involved more than the potential profit. I feel most of the small guys do it for the fun and satisfaction of creating something that is respected and enjoyed by people.

Who was the DIY guy a few years back that tried to increase the price of his amps in an effort to reduce demand so he could have a life? And even that approach was untenable.

I think it’s really a market for enthusiasts and not as lucrative as people might think.

Mitch

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

For their dimensions alone, given that all his amps do a decent job the Xin amps are the only ones so far which I would actually use, and would recommend to people who actually want to go amped-portable.

I could not agree more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back