Why is everyone selling their Headfives?
Sep 30, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #16 of 70
rolleyes.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #17 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1
Is it another flavor of the month thing? I loved the amp, upgrade-itis got me, true for everybody? It also wasn't my only amp.....

Perhaps the amp itself is thought in that light, i.e., intended to give people a taste of the good stuff but not be enough to leave you replete & defeat upgraditis... Just speculation.

Sep 30, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #18 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Perhaps the amp itself is thought in that light, i.e., intended to give people a taste of the good stuff but not be enough to leave you replete & defeat upgraditis... Just speculation.

Or, perhaps people are thinking:
"Wow, if this sounds so good at $250.oo, I wonder what ______ sounds like for $400-$500 . . . I want more?"
rolleyes.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #19 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
"Wow, if this sounds so good at $250.oo, I wonder what ______ sounds like for $400-$500 . . . I want more?"
rolleyes.gif

Well mine's the glass half-empty perspective, yours the glass half-full. The "supposed fact" this thread is concerned with lies somewhere around the border line.
tongue.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #20 of 70
1) At $250 it was an excellent entry point for people who hadn't really had and an amp before. Now that they've soaked up the experience, many of them are probably considering an upgrade or change.

2) Because of the price there were a ton of HeadFives sold (especially to Head-Fiers) in a short amount of time, meaning there are a lot of them in this community. More volume means more amps on the for sale forum.

3) Touching on the last points, amps like the MPX3 or GS-1 are present here in smaller volumes, and given their price are considered to be much more serious purchases. Most people who go out and spend ~$1200 on an MPX3 are fairly aware of what their tastes are, and know what they want. There's also a significantly smaller number of these floating around waiting to be sold.

4) This is Head-Fi, it's what we do.

Sep 30, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #21 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
rolleyes.gif

Exactly... And as an entry level desktop amp with onboard P.S. , crossfeed with excellent build/fit/finish, designed by a highly regarded professional with a sucessful track record here in higher end amps; I can only regard the HeadFive as an overwhelmingly sucessful product @ $250 shipped. Reliability & Longevity should also, not be overlooked,however sadly maybe when comparing amplifiers, the workhorse in any chain of components. I'm sure quite a few folks will be making a change for its own sake, paying more and realizing perhaps a sideways move, hopefully for a slightly different sonic presentation, and in that tradeoff not equal those HeadFive qualitys listed above.

Please do comment if you have a valid opinion AND have actually heard/owned this Head-Fi sanctioned product as I am very curious as to which amplifier satisfactorily replaced the H5 for you as a sonic upgrade. And, at what price point?

Sincerely,

Sep 30, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #22 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
Please do comment if you have a valid opinion AND have actually heard/owned this Head-Fi sanctioned product as I am very curious as to which amplifier satisfactorily replaced the H5 for you as a sonic upgrade. And, at what price point?

Well, the GS Solo amp I upgraded to is an entirely different beast that the Headfive can't even hold a candle to. That much was clear from the first listen.

On the same price bracket, there is the Creek OBH-21 that I actually prefer to the Headfive. Comparatively more forward (my preference), neutral and has better handling power (in regards to controlling Senns). Headfi community may curse and lament on the Creek brand, but this is how I found things to be.

Cheers!

Sep 30, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #23 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
Well, the GS Solo amp I upgraded to is an entirely different beast that the Headfive can't even hold a candle to. That much was clear from the first listen.

On the same price bracket, there is the Creek OBH-21 that I actually prefer to the Headfive. Comparatively more forward (my preference), neutral and has better handling power (in regards to controlling Senns). Headfi community may curse and lament on the Creek brand, but this is how I found things to be.

Cheers!

Thanx,
So, you enjoy the $309 shipped Creek with DC outboard power supply for its presentation which you prefer.

The $800 Slee Solo, was that with the stock outboard P.S. or with the PSU1. This is about a $179 ? Agreed, leagues different indeed.

Sep 30, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #24 of 70
Quote:

Thanx,
So, you enjoy the $309 shipped Creek with DC outboard power supply for its presentation which you prefer.

As well as for its relative neutrality and better power handling. The Headfive does not control the HD-650 well enough and sub-bass extension is a far cry from what the Creek can whack out of the phones.

Quote:

The $800 Slee Solo, was that with the stock outboard P.S. or with the PSU1. This is about a $179 ? Agreed, leagues different indeed.

I use the PSU1. Details, imaging, power handling, refinement, you name it. All are superior on the Solo.

Cheers!

Sep 30, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #25 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea

No, "upgraditis" is simply inherent to our hobby. I think that amp is even doing a remarkably good job at its price point to defeat it.
I've counted 18 headfives for sale here over the past 5 months, I don't think that's really a bad ratio for a product you need to buy unseen(/-heard). Also, indeed probably quite a few people may have bought it more out of curiosity than a real need for an amp. This includes myself, but my headfive won't be going anywhere anytime soon and has earned a permanent place at my bedside.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #27 of 70
Quote:

Thanx,

Yes, I'd like to see some more input as to what it costs to better the Head-Five.

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #28 of 70
Me, I simply know I don't feel sorry for having missed the Headfive. I don't know if that's for good, or just caprice. But I don't think it's caprice to be uninspired. That's all, please don't flame
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #30 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
Did you wilfully choose to ignore my other part of posts?
wink.gif

nope . . . . didn't you see the word 'more' in my statement?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back