Why is anyone still using Internet Explorer??
Mar 29, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 53
double firewall
tongue.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 53
There are still quite a few sites that only work properly with IE. For those times however, IETab is your friend.

Mar 29, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 53
I've never come across a site that FF/Opera wouldn't work with.

Some people hate change. For them there is plenty of spyware & adware waiting
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 53
Well for one, its just a browser. When my friends started using opera in 2003 I didn't understand what the big deal was and they couldn't really explain it to me. Basicaly "just try it". Its one of those things where I did and fell in love with it. I think most people don't realize how clunky ie is because they have just gotten used to it being cumbersome.

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 53
Sorry for the ignorance but every time this topic arise the same question crosses my mind: what those guys do online, that I can not with any version of IE???? I have used other browsers as well, but IE my whole life, and I feel that the rest navigate just as IE, browsing I do not feel any difference, once you have a good ISP and a solid and fast internet service any will work as well, security is not an issue for me as I have absolutely no important information in my PC so you are welcome to browse all what you want in there....What I'm missing from the others, I installed the IE7 and remove it the same day, what a crap!!! Some pages don't even open, are those new browsers as IE7???

Those articles about bugs in Microsoft Windows are always interesting, but the funny side is that never tell you that bugs exist in mainly all operating systems, not only in windows. Other point to consider is that also mainly all manufacturers do software for windows and mac, while for other operating systems they do not, and we have a very few to none options....in other words what is the use of a very good operating system if you have no software to work on it???

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Sorry for the ignorance but every time this topic arise the same question crosses my mind: what those guys do online, that I can not with any version of IE???? I have used other browsers as well, but IE my whole life, and I feel that the rest navigate just as IE, browsing I do not feel any difference, once you have a good ISP and a solid and fast internet service any will work as well, security is not an issue for me as I have absolutely no important information in my PC so you are welcome to browse all what you want in there....What I'm missing from the others, I installed the IE7 and remove it the same day, what a crap!!! Some pages don't even open, are those new browsers as IE7???

Those articles about bugs in Microsoft Windows are always interesting, but the funny side is that never tell you that bugs exist in mainly all operating systems, not only in windows. Other point to consider is that also mainly all manufacturers do software for windows and mac, while for other operating systems they do not, and we have a very few to none options....in other words what is the use of a very good operating system if you have no software to work on it???

True, IE does stuff that firefox doesn't do ... like make it easier to spread spyware and viruses. IE also displays non-standards compliant code.

True, all software has bugs including Operating Systems. Microsoft probably gets a worse rep than they deserve (and this is coming from a senior computer science student who is an avid linux user). The amount of hardware that they support greatly increases the complexity of the software, which in turn causes more bug. IMO though it's the integration of all of their software with security as an afterthought that is the real problem with most microsoft software. That and there is a high amount of "user error" involved with a lot of the bugs that get media attention.

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallstreet
True, IE does stuff that firefox doesn't do ... like make it easier to spread spyware and viruses. IE also displays non-standards compliant code.

Well I got Spybot and Ad-Aware, and Norton AV, long time ago, and I have never heard of those things here....
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
Also just visit safe sites and period....

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I'd uninstall IE if I could.

That is another issue, we can't, so why using another software to do what we can with IE, and not that bad neither, if it were a horrible software, well it is more justifiable, but it is not that bad neither.....also if we could uninstall it, well that will be another story, but having two at the same time taking space....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

I now that IE is not better than those but I do not feel the difference, is like getting a better headphone if you are half deaf, what for??? Maybe I'm a half deaf browse user....LOL...

Another question for the gurus out there, how many media players do you have? Is there any real universal one that plays 100% of all file and formats, everytime someone recomend me one, it fails to play this or that file, so I ended with a bunch of crap here, that honestly I would like to get rid off...windows media player, quicktime, realpalyer, nero showtime, winamp, monkey audio, and the list goes on......any suggestions here???

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
beats me??

ONLY time I use IE is to download firefox on a new PC

I'd uninstall IE if I could.

there are still some good uses for ie.

windows updater only works thorugh ie... for manual updates anyways.

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #15 of 53
IE is the industry standard. I hate it when some companies only allow you to view their webpages only on IE, which is frustrating. Also, my school also uses IE, and blocks off any access to download firefox or any other browser for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back