Why I think the K701 is an awesome 1st can...
Mar 14, 2006 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

GlendaleViper

Yep, words.
...True, it's a pretty big jump into the high end; but it seems to me that for someone looking to get into the really nice stuff, its price is quite fair.

My first real set of cans were Grado SR125s. I'll admit - despite the short time I was with them, I really miss their punchy, fun sound. But I was looking for more and sadly returned them. Meantime, the ten week wait for the AKGs is spent in old, half-blown Sony DJ phones. Ugh...

But then they did show up. Came in Friday night. I might have listened to them enough through to today to worry about my ears. Suddenly I understand why people go so nuts for canned hi-fidelity! Every detail, every instrument, everywhere! And I'm running a pretty weak setup...

Anyway, the beautiful thing about these... things, is they provide a neutral presentation. Sure. But now I have a solid foundation, or zero point to which I can guage other headphones in the future for their signature presentation. Infamous notables come to mind like DT880s, HD650s and of course, Grados.

It's a magnificent headphone to start with, and sets the stage for anorexic wallets. Should I love them or hate them? :k701: Heh. Do I love the K701? As much as the K701 loves me. *koff* (That's a lot).

Oh, and I find them so comfortable I've forgotten they were on at times.

Good night.
plainface.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 21
I understand the love and all, but aren't there like 300 other k701 threads you could've posted in?

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 21
True, but I thought it worthy of another post if people wanted an admittedly (unabashedly?) subjective opinion of what a good, high-end headphone would be for a first-time buyer, from a first-time buyer.

Snap.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 21
Nice jump, although I'm having trouble understanding your argument for first-time buyers. It sounds like you are recommending them only because they are better than lesser headphones.
tongue.gif

But I do agree with you. The reason I bumped up to the DT880 was because I didn't want to feel the need for upgrading soon down the road. I wanted to plant myself for a while. Really, I just felt like, if I was going to go up, that I might as well go as high has I could.

I think it is a good way to look at it for most people. If you are going to go head-fi, you'll save money in the end by not piddling around, cause you're eventually going to get your (most reasonable) dream phones eventually.
icon10.gif

Congrats on your buy, by the way. If time and money had been a little different, I might have gone that route.

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 21
See, I would actually argue against the idea of starting out with really high end headphones, because then it removes your appreciation of just how good they are. I, too, am moving up from SR-125s straight to them, but I've previously owned other expensive (though disappointing) cans that were considered hi-fi, such as the Sennheiser HD-570 and the Sony V600. If someone went straight from iPod earbuds to K701s, HD650s, 325is, Or DT880s, they'd just be like, 'What are you doing with that SR-60, or HD555? Those just suck."

Mar 15, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
See, I would actually argue against the idea of starting out with really high end headphones, because then it removes your appreciation of just how good they are.

There is something nice about the flow in moving from low to higher end gear. Start with a pair of moderate headphones, be happy, begin to pick up on its shortcomings, satisfaction fades, search for something new. It's a nice quest for the modern age, for those of us weird enough to find it relevant.

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 21
I agree and dis-agree.
Overall good move economically, but there is something to be said for the discovery route. The looking forward to the new sounds. The "hobby".
I started with my wife's diskman and supplied headphones to take my mind off exercising. On a whim, picked up a set of SR-60's.
Found myself listening when not exercising. Nice sound.
Started remembering my "hippie days" and dorm rooms with no room to turn around because of the speakers.
Was there better sound to be had by headphones? Little did I know.
Found headroom and this "darn place". Going to be my downfall.
Got a total airhead amp. Great improvement.
Upgraded my sound card to a Sound Blaster x-fi next.
Talked to headroom again about upgrading my headphones. Traded the airhead for a micro amp with desktop up-grade on their rec.
Added a pair of 580's.
Great sound after burn-in, but just a little laid back for my taste. The Grado's being just a little to forward on the highs and a little to bass light for my taste.
Ordered a pair of 701's today after extensive research.
Next will be the Micro DAC. A better source in the future.
It's a fun ride.
As they say, it's not all the destination, it's the trip in its self.
However you get there........... enjoy.
Jim

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 21
To each his own.......I'm 54 and like to take time to smell the roses. Or in my case the coffee to get my old bones going in the morning
rolleyes.gif

I don't enjoy wasting my money either, and don't consider any of these purchases a waste. YMMV.
Either way.......enjoy your music.
Aloha,
Jim

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 21
I totally agree with the transition, but the modest budget I have makes buying for the long term the best route. Truth be told, the "old, half-blown Sony DJ phones" were/are a beloved headset - and remain my portable can, but they are painfully showing their age.

The real bonus is, I saved enough choosing the 701 over the Beyers or Senns or whatever, that a new set of closed cans will be on their way soon enough. Time to start looking... again!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator
There is something nice about the flow in moving from low to higher end gear. Start with a pair of moderate headphones, be happy, begin to pick up on its shortcomings, satisfaction fades, search for something new. It's a nice quest for the modern age, for those of us weird enough to find it relevant.

This seems to me to be the perfectly articulated mantra of head-fi...

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #14 of 21
It's the journey that counts, that's what make headphones so interesting, you can have one pair then when you find the faults in it you move on and when you find the faults in your new pair you move on again, etc, etc. What's the fun in just going from a junk pair straight to a pretty good one? You'll never have the experience of listening to other headphones and you'll never be able to compare what sound sigs you like, for example if you've only ever heard ibuds than you upgrade to the Triports, the Triports will sound damn good to you (not that I'm comparing the 701s to the triports of course
biggrin.gif
) but if you experiment with other headphones you may find a diiferent sound that you like better, whether it's more or less expensive than the one you have right now. Just because something has been given high accolades doesn't necessarilly mean it will be the best set for you. When I listened to my gf's SA5000s I thought they would blow my mind away since they are so highly rated by a lot of the Head-fiers here but what I got was shrieking highs and ear bursting mids, some people like the SA5000s brighter tonality but me, I preferred the laidback sound of my 650s. If you never try different things then you'll never know if you like them or not right?

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #15 of 21
Agreed. Same people cannot afford that though... unless they buy with good return policies...

On the other hand, you could always go the fun upgrade source/amp/cables/mods route?
tongue.gif
There is always something to move up to. Good headphones initially might also allow you to appreciate better components than a "lesser" phone might--they might let you "see" the difference more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back