Why I think the K701 is an awesome 1st can...
Mar 16, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #16 of 21
Hi Glendale Viper,

I did exactly as you did. Ordered the K701 and these are my first ever "high-end" headphone. Prior to this I had a Labtec that I used for the computer and a Sony wireless for the TV, so they don't count.

I decided to go straight to the 701's coz I didn't want to get caught into the buy and sell activities of upgrading.

I've been lost so much (financially) in upgrading my two channel audio system so I didn't want to go through that with Cans. I just got them today and so far I like what I hear. I got headphones only because I live in a Condo and after 9pm it's a bit unpleasant for my neighbors if my system is blasting away...so in come the headphones. But it couldn't be just any set of headphones as it would have to come close or better my main system.

Thought of the K1000's but I just don't like the way they look.

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #17 of 21
Personally I like having a collection of cans to choose from. No can is perfect IMO. There may be certain cans that are good all arounders but each headphone will have a flaw within a certain circumstance. This is just my opinion. Have I heard the K701 yet? No. I do intend to add it to my collection once they are back in stock.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #18 of 21
I should clarify, that buying a high end headphone by no means indicates that I want to "plant" myself with one set of cans. As you may notice, a lack of headphones is not my only trouble - my sources are terrible!
So I bring to the front the comment posted earlier, regarding sources: Now I get to have my fun trying to find the right source components to really make my 701's bloom.
Of course, the inevitable result is then finding a new set of headphones to expand my repertoire and (wallet screaming, just thinking about this), then finding just the right source combination for them! The fact is, I have a number of hobbies making budgeting for new audio hardware a very thoughtful process.
So to those who insist that I should rise through the ranks (and with whom I do not wholly disagree), please consider that "stepping up" to a new price point in no way indicates there will never be any listening experiences in between. Again, I have just spent $500 Canadian on a set of headphones and already I'm looking to spend a modest amount on closed, travel-friendly cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

In fact, allow me to toss a challenge back: If there are qualities good and bad in all pricepoints and brands, why should I be confined to a strict linear approach governed by monetary value? Another thing to consider is that I like my headphones. Love 'em! As such, I never plan to sell/trade a single pair (unless I'm unhappy with them). This will make my collection a very slow process, essentially forcing me to become intimately familiar with their individual signatures and strengths in music. As the collection grows, it gives me a warranted reason to bounce back between one and the other - cheapies and bank-breakers alike - depending on my mood and musical inclinations at the time!
I hope I don't come off as offended by the opinions that have been presented contrary to my approach - nor do I wish to sound confrontational to your own. But I stand by this approach because it works for me. I like headphones more than speakers. Convenient, as I have a much better chance of collecting, enjoying, caring for and sharing these wonderful speakers than their full-sized counterparts. So, with the first-time buyer who was looking to get into higher-end headphones in mind, allow me to reiterate and further solidify my stance that the AKG K701 is a very neutral headphone that satisfies the high-end desire without breaking the bank, and sets the stage for later purchases (high end or not) as your ears will be trained to a neutral standard, allowing you to really hear and feel the differences in sound, helping you experiment with - and ultimately choose - a new can that moves you.

I'd like to hear your thoughts; this has turned into an unexpected and pleasantly philosophical thread! :K701:

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #19 of 21
Darkninja your photo is hilarious. You look like you're searching for some elusive frequency. It really captures the essence of the audiophile. Plus it's just downright funny!

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #20 of 21
GlendaleViper...........Well stated.
As I stated to start, I agree and disagree.
Now I agree a little more than before.
tongue.gif

Jim

Mar 18, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #21 of 21
I don't think anybody will disagree with you that acquiring good headphones doesn't mean you need to spend more money than you did on your last pair. I for one still return to my HD515s quite often and have even recently began to think about modifying them. There is no rule that states cheap headphones are bad, look at the Koss KSC-35-75s they are dirt cheap yet have a huge following here, it's just that most of the time as you go up the price ladder the headphones get slightly better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back