Why FLAC is better.
Nov 18, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #152 of 176
anyways... choose flac so your bits don't go flying everywhere.
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #154 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, there was a moral behind this thread?

Troll threads are fun to participate in.
dt880smile.png

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #155 of 176
Quote:

oh, there was a moral behind this thread?

Do not believe everything you hear or read!
wink_face.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #156 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do not believe everything you hear or read!
wink_face.gif

Some people just have to go and troll while we are having a dead-serious conversation......

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #158 of 176
Quote:

Some people just have to go and troll while we are having a dead-serious conversation......

This was never a serious thread. The OP is the troll.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #159 of 176
i degauss my hard disks every week, this keeps the audio databytes on them in perfect condition!

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #160 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by googleborg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i degauss my hard disks every week, this keeps the audio databytes on them in perfect condition!

So... extrapolating from that statement, rapid-spinning hard disks can be utilized as Gauss guns? The ones that generate much electromagnetic power they propel objects at high speeds?

...oh, so that's why bits of data are mysteriously disappearing from lossy files. They're essentially shot out of existence from the hard drive medium!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 31, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #161 of 176

I have a PhD in Digital Music Conservation from the University of South Carolina. I have to stress that the phenomenon known as "digital dust" is the real problem regarding conservation of music, and any other type of digital file. Digital files are stored in digital filing cabinets called "directories" which are prone to "digital dust" - slight bit alterations that happen now or then. Now, admittedly, in its ideal, pristine condition, a piece of musical work encoded in FLAC format contains more information than the same piece encoded in MP3, however, as the FLAC file is bigger, it accumulates, in fact, MORE digital dust than the MP3 file. Now you might say that the density of dust is the same. That would be a naive view. Since MP3 files are smaller, they can be much more easily stacked together and held in "drawers" called archive files (Zip, Rar, Lha, etc.) ; in such a configuration, their surface-to-volume ratio is minimized. Thus, they accumulate LESS digital dust and thus decay at a much slower rate than FLACs. All this is well-known in academia, alas the ignorant hordes just think that because it's bigger, it must be better

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #163 of 176
Quote:
I have a PhD in Digital Music Conservation from the University of South Carolina. I have to stress that the phenomenon known as "digital dust" is the real problem regarding conservation of music, and any other type of digital file. Digital files are stored in digital filing cabinets called "directories" which are prone to "digital dust" - slight bit alterations that happen now or then. Now, admittedly, in its ideal, pristine condition, a piece of musical work encoded in FLAC format contains more information than the same piece encoded in MP3, however, as the FLAC file is bigger, it accumulates, in fact, MORE digital dust than the MP3 file. Now you might say that the density of dust is the same. That would be a naive view. Since MP3 files are smaller, they can be much more easily stacked together and held in "drawers" called archive files (Zip, Rar, Lha, etc.) ; in such a configuration, their surface-to-volume ratio is minimized. Thus, they accumulate LESS digital dust and thus decay at a much slower rate than FLACs. All this is well-known in academia, alas the ignorant hordes just think that because it's bigger, it must be better

On a related note, next week I begin sale of digital dust covers. An absolute necessity for audiophiles, these covers are hand-crafted in America by illegal immigrants from 100% imported sweatshop cotton. They will not only prevent all future dust buildup, but improve the transparency and "presence" of the files. These covers come in two sizes. There is Lossy, which fit several popular lossy codecs like MP3, OGG, MPC, WMA, and are suitable for files ranging in size from 1 to 20MB. And, of course, there is Lossless, which are suitable for FLAC, APE, and WAV files between 10 and 200MB. Unfortunately AAC and ALAC are not supported because Apple said so.

For the first week or so I will hold preorders. During the preorder period I will hold a special introductory price of 10 cents per Lossy and 25 cents per Lossless cover. I will also offer two additional services free of charge. Send your files to me (DRM-free only) and I will personally clean the dust from them and install your covers for you. After the preorder period prices will increase to 25 and 50 cents respectively, and these additional services will cost 10 cents per file each.

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #164 of 176

Quote:
Unfortunately AAC and ALAC are not supported because Apple said so.

What, you didn't know that Apple's format are protected by certain Reality Distortion Field and are immune to any form of digital dust and are capable of withstanding a nuclear explosion? Come on dude, that is one of the main difference of going mac! No viruses, spyware nor digital dust!

OTOH I may need to preorder a couple thousand of your covers... but to they come already burned in? Can I buy them separately or do I need to send my music to you?

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #165 of 176
Quote:
What, you didn't know that Apple's format are protected by certain Reality Distortion Field and are immune to any form of digital dust and are capable of withstanding a nuclear explosion? Come on dude, that is one of the main difference of going mac! No viruses, spyware nor digital dust!

OTOH I may need to preorder a couple thousand of your covers... but to they come already burned in? Can I buy them separately or do I need to send my music to you?

Actually, they told me it was because they wanted to sell their own. I was going to ask them when they came up with the idea, but their lawyers cut my phone line.

I can burn them in for you for an extra 10 cents per cover. Otherwise I recommend about 50-100 hours for maximum protection and sound quality.

You can buy them separately and put them on yourself. I charge a flat rate $50 for shipping from the Chinese factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back