Why everyone should have a Grado as their 2nd headphone.
Jan 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

rgs9200m

Headphoneus Supremus
Most of the flagship phones that sound so nice have a Vulcan-mind-meld presentation where you are at one with the sound, a kind of super intimacy.
This seems pretty standard, and is mesmerizing, but after a session with one of these, when I get tired of listening,
somehow I find it very refreshing to put on my Grados (GS1000is are my favorites) for a breath of fresh air, an openness,
a little distance from the sound, the drivers, almost like switching to speakers.

Then, I can keep listening with a new sense of discovery, a new perspective, and more joy.

For this, I love my Grados, as they stand alone in this regard. Thanks to Joe and company for standing apart from the crowd.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 81
I hate Grados. 

:D

I've tried every model except the rare ones and the 1000s and none have really struck my fancy at all.

I definitely get why some people love them though.

Quote:
Most of the flagship phones that sound so nice have a Vulcan-mind-meld presentation where you are at one with the sound, a kind of super intimacy.
This seems pretty standard, and is mesmerizing, but after a session with one of these, when I get tired of listening,
somehow I find it very refreshing to put on my Grados (GS1000is are my favorites) for a breath of fresh air, an openness,
a little distance from the sound, the drivers, almost like switching to speakers.

Then, I can keep listening with a new sense of discovery, a new perspective, and more joy.

For this, I love my Grados, as they stand alone in this regard. Thanks to Joe and company for standing apart from the crowd.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 81
The only Grado I've liked are the HP1000 and also the only one I've been able to wear without my ears hurting (literally) after around 20 minutes. The Magnums based off the Grado drivers I liked as well.

I'm not a fan of the current production ones but if the HP1000 was available I would certainly be tempted

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 81
I really enjoy Grados as a second headphone.
Mine are el-cheapo MS1i modded with cocobolo cups.
The sound sure aint sublime. They have an in your face, upside the head sound with rock music.

I welcome these dynamics as a change from the sterile, ultra-detailed Staxen. Although I love them too. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 81
I find the Grado 325is and 80i to be excellent headphone's. I feel they are very exciting, fun and involving to listen to. I'll keep them as my 1st headphone's (325is). If I felt the need for more than 1 set of headphone's I would  purchase a pair of Alessandro MS2i's which I currently traded for the 325is. The MS2i was a little too lay-ed back for me, I just preferred the more aggressive 325is.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 81
i have an MS1i as a secondary/portable pair as well. kinda nice to have some bright sparkling sound for a change once in a while

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #7 of 81
I'll get another set of them someday, when I have more money. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 81
An SR80 was the second pair of "audiophile" type cans I picked up during my life, first was the Koss KSC-35. I had a SR325 original model which sounded nice with the flat pads.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #9 of 81
What you described is why I go back to speakers so often

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #10 of 81
I couldn't live without my Grado's, the polar opposite to my HD650's, its fun to change them. they get a fairly even amount of headtime. its split equally between hd650/q701/sr225i to be honest.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #11 of 81
This thread is not helping my wallet much!  LOL!
When I get some spare $$$ I would like to get a pair of RS-2i as an alternative to my Q701 and DT880s.
Whenever I try on a pair of Grados I seem to have a bit of an "Ahhhhh!" moment.

I just heard a pair of SR-80i driven by an iPhone (I ran into a guy in a camera store walking around with that set-up), I could easily hear why the owner likes them so much, he actually said he prefers them to ATH-M50s (he said the Grados sounded more fun).
BTW, I have never heard a pair of M50s.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 81
Jan 12, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 81
Jan 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #14 of 81
Its not that they are bad.
they are fairly decent for the price.
its just after something is hyped up so much, like they were on here
"need sr-009 upgrade"
"M50!"
"my computer is making a strange noise, anyone know how to fix it?"
"M50!"
etc

You just couldn't help but feel disheartened by the M50, which was by all means agreeable.. apart from a painful treble, i feel anyhow.

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #15 of 81
Personally I am sick of the O2 and ODAC hype.
I'm sure they are very good products, but I see too much of:
Q.  need to upgrade my amp, what to get?
A.  O2 is the answer!
Q.  need to spend a large pile of cash on a headphone 'cos that's how i roll, baby! What should I blow my money on?
A.   No!  buy the O2!  It is the Final Headphone Amp!
Q.   what is the world's greatest DAC, like, um, ever? Rilly!
A.  ODAC is the answer!

BTW, I'm also sick of Jennifer Lopez, can someone shoot her into outerspace, please?
Please?
PLEASE?
PLEASE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back