Why even include USB?
Jul 14, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #16 of 28

Quote:
Maybe I should rephrase.
The same port I plug my headphones into has the lettering S/PDIF over it.
If I have a double male-ended AUX cable and connect it from this S/PDIF headphone AUX port to the Line-in on my Mav D1 will the D1 be doing the converting?
I was under the impression that the signal was analog once it had reached this port, which is what I don't understand.

I think certain designs do combine the line out with the spdif out.  Are you using a mac?  Even if this is the case though you need to use an optical cable in order to take advantage of it and not that auxiliary cable,  and likewise it should be going to the optical in on your dac.

This is what you'd want to use (click to enlarge)

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #17 of 28
It's an ASUS gaming laptop.  Lord knows it has every other port known to man. I was upset I didn't have a coaxial but this seems like what I've been looking for.  Much thanks!

Quote:
sidel said:
I think certain designs do combine the line out with the spdif out.  Are you using a mac?  Even if this is the case though you need to use an optical cable in order to take advantage of it and not that auxiliary cable,  and likewise it should be going to the optical in on your dac.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #18 of 28

Quote:
It's an ASUS gaming laptop.  Lord knows it has every other port known to man. I was upset I didn't have a coaxial but this seems like what I've been looking for.  Much thanks!

I checked and it looks like the headphone out is indeed shared with the spdif out in those high-end asus laptops,  so that should do the trick just as I suggested.  No problemo.

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #19 of 28
As I noted as I posted the first one, I understand the convenience argument so we're all on the same boat there. It's interesting to hear that some DAC's actually have ppl prefer the USB over the optical, and the essence of my first post was to encourage all to actually try what is available to hear what they prefer.

I still say, however, that the USB implementation problem doesn't even exist with optical out as it simply works. This hints towards the USB path being a more problematic (and likely more costly) path for manufactures (which still has uncertain end results). I'd willingly pay extra (despite this actually being cheaper to implement) if manufacturers allowed the USB parts to be removed and additional optical in would be offered instead. From a marketing perspective, I understand that not including a USB in is asking for having this listed in the 'minus' column of reviews.

Finally, even I (as an avid anti-Mac person) can willingly admit that the USB implementation of a MAC is far superior. Ouch... that left a bad taste in my mouth. 
redface.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #20 of 28

Quote:
I have to agree.  Many folks using DAC's that implement asynchronous USB transfer prefer the USB connection by far over optical out.   I'm using a W4S DAC-2 and like all the other users I know are thrilled with the USB over any of the other options.

x2

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #21 of 28

Quote:
As I noted as I posted the first one, I understand the convenience argument so we're all on the same boat there. It's interesting to hear that some DAC's actually have pp. prefer the USB over the optical, and the essence of my first post was to encourage all to actually try what is available to hear what they prefer.

I still say, however, that the USB implementation problem doesn't even exist with optical out as it simply works. This hints towards the USB path being a more problematic (and likely more costly) path for manufactures (which still has uncertain end results). I'd willingly pay extra (despite this actually being cheaper to implement) if manufacturers allowed the USB parts to be removed and additional optical in would be offered instead. From a marketing perspective, I understand that not including a USB in is asking for having this listed in the 'minus' column of reviews.

Finally, even I (as an avid anti-Mac person) can willingly admit that the USB implementation of a MAC is far superior. Ouch... that left a bad taste in my mouth. 
redface.gif

Well it's not just that the Mac has a better implementation of the USB. NuForce is suspect also.  My dealings with that company has taught me this.  

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #22 of 28
Optical is pretty good. It's a cleaner signal and the cables for USB tend to be much cheaper made than TOSLINK. I've known this for a while, I use my X-fi as a transport to a lot of people's DAC/Amps and I haven't used my USB for years.

Optical doesn't transmit a power signal I believe, I think it's just raw data?

Anyway heres a nice read for people who are a bit skeptical of TOSLINK

http://www.digikey.com/Web%20Export/Supplier%20Content/Toshiba_264/PDF/Toshiba_BCE0037_catalog.pdf?redirected=1

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #23 of 28
I've been using the DACport via USB with my Mac to the AD2000s for a while now and for the first time since i've been on head-fi, i can really say i'm completely satisfied with the combo, so much so that i've not felt the need to upgrade or change anything and have even bought brand new earpads just in case they run out of stock in the future.

I used to own the HDP and i loved it while i had it but the DACport is on a different plane altogether. While i had owned the HDP, it was tapping the USB from a self built PC and comparing the sound quality to the Mac USB with DACport, the sound quality from the DACport is miles ahead. I never knew the audio quality of USB between Macs and PCs are that different and looking back, i'm not sure if the vast improvements i'm hearing now is entirely due to the DACport VS HDP but could be Mac USB VS PC USB too.

Thanks for starting this awesome thread!

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #24 of 28

Quote:
Optical is pretty good. It's a cleaner signal and the cables for USB tend to be much cheaper made than TOSLINK. I've known this for a while, I use my X-fi as a transport to a lot of people's DAC/Amps and I haven't used my USB for years.

Optical doesn't transmit a power signal I believe, I think it's just raw data?

Anyway heres a nice read for people who are a bit skeptical of TOSLINK

http://www.digikey.com/Web%20Export/Supplier%20Content/Toshiba_264/PDF/Toshiba_BCE0037_catalog.pdf?redirected=1

Do you prefer plastic or glass?

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #27 of 28

Quote:
I've been using the DACport via USB with my Mac to the AD2000s for a while now and for the first time since i've been on head-fi, i can really say i'm completely satisfied with the combo, so much so that i've not felt the need to upgrade or change anything and have even bought brand new earpads just in case they run out of stock in the future.

I used to own the HDP and i loved it while i had it but the DACport is on a different plane altogether.

Thanks for the kind words!

The reality is USB is a very complex beast and simply blaming it in isolation as a "bad technology" is not quite fair. Like any technology it is the implementation that matters. Similarly there will be good implementations and not so good implementations. It is very important to consider all the other technology chunks (power, grounding, correct PCB layout), not just the USB section by itself when designing a DAC that offers a USB input.

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #28 of 28

Quote:
LOL! forgot about that movie!    For Toslink cables ,  Glass or plastic?

I've never seen glass before, I use the Cables Unlimited ones.

I can't believe there is a market for high end USB cables when a generic fiber optic cable is going to be much better! I mean I build the **** things for crying out loud yet I don't even use them myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back