Why even include USB?
Jul 13, 2011 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Trasselkalle

100+ Head-Fier
I've been enjoying my NuForce HDP a while and thought I'd try out the USB connection just for fun, and I couldn't believe how much of a difference the optical cable has made for my first impression. I don't get it, really - why is even USB included on dac's? Sure, convenience, but paying good money and not wanting full return on it doesn't add up to me. I'd much rather have additional optical inputs than this USB crap. It's as if USB is fighting to get things right, while optical is sitting there sipping an espresso and relaxing at the same time. Oh, the arrogance of excellence in detail and nuance!

DISCLAMER: While I mention the HDP, I don't mean to say that their USB implementation is poor in relation to anyone else's. I'm sure others have had similar experiences with all the other brands. I really like my HDP, and this post is only intended as a rant for more optical inputs as well as a reminder for all to use their optical inputs.

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 28
Its all convenience. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 28
It just irks me that USB is included over additional optical in. That is actually useful after all.

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 28
It would be necessary for those without optical outs, would it not?

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 28
Indeed, my crappy old computer with all my music on it doesn't have any SPDIF out, USB is the only way to connect to my DAC.

On a side note, my other computer (without much music) has SPDIF and I honestly could not hear a difference between USB and coax/optical. Is it something minor or did I go deaf already? 
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:
It would be necessary for those without optical outs, would it not?

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 28
Well yes, but how often does something have USB out but not optical out? 

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 28
Time for a random soundcard with optical out, I would say? Cheap is better than nothing.

For my HDP, the sound opens up fully and nuances are simply much more present. Voices and strings (incl. electric), brass, drums... all come out and play like they mean it rather than just being around. You can absolutely live with USB, but I'm surprised at how clear the difference comes out on my dac. I don't want to sound like I know this for a fact regardless of brand, though. I'm just ranting from how big the difference was for me.

Quote:
Indeed, my crappy old computer with all my music on it doesn't have any SPDIF out, USB is the only way to connect to my DAC.

On a side note, my other computer (without much music) has SPDIF and I honestly could not hear a difference between USB and coax/optical. Is it something minor or did I go deaf already? 
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 28
I think it has a lot to do with implementation / trying to have the best of both worlds in order to appeal to a wider market without appropriating funds accordingly.  There are plenty of great dacs out there with, or strictly using, usb.  I'm sure some of the time it's an add-on feature for the sake of convenience and doesn't work out quite as well because the same amount of integration, cost, and whatever else have you didn't go into it.  I'm not pointing fingers at the HDP by any means;  I'm just saying that I don't think USB itself is what is necessarily flawed here.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 28

Quote:
I think it has a lot to do with implementation / trying to have the best of both worlds in order to appeal to a wider market without appropriating funds accordingly.  There are plenty of great dacs out there with, or strictly using, usb.  I'm sure some of the time it's an add-on feature for the sake of convenience and doesn't work out quite as well because the same amount of integration, cost, and whatever else have you didn't go into it.  I'm not pointing fingers at the HDP by any means;  I'm just saying that I don't think USB itself is what is necessarily flawed here.

I have to agree.  Many folks using DAC's that implement asynchronous USB transfer prefer the USB connection by far over optical out.   I'm using a W4S DAC-2 and like all the other users I know are thrilled with the USB over any of the other options.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 28
I don't want to start a big sound-off here but I have noticed I like the sound of my Mac better than PC laptop with the usb and Nuforce Icon. The laptop seems to have a sluggish bass feel? I'm no expert here but it is amazing how this stuff all sounds different.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #14 of 28

Quote:
Newby question:

My headphone out is S/PDIF.  If I line out from this to my DAC is my POS soundcard involved in the DAC'ing and amping?

It took me a second to figure out what you were trying to ask.  No,  your dac will do all of the sound processing.  As long as your card / integrated sound is sending the information in a reliable manner (read: it's working at all) to the dac you're fine.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #15 of 28
Maybe I should rephrase.
The same port I plug my headphones into has the lettering S/PDIF over it.
If I have a double male-ended AUX cable and connect it from this S/PDIF headphone AUX port to the Line-in on my Mav D1 will the D1 be doing the converting?
I was under the impression that the signal was analog once it had reached this port, which is what I don't understand.

Quote:
It took me a second to figure out what you were trying to ask.  No,  your dac will do all of the sound processing.  As long as your card / integrated sound is sending the information in a reliable manner (read: it's working at all) to the dac you're fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back