Why don't women like Headphones
Nov 7, 2008 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 145

jerryjg

New Head-Fier
They just arent intereasted( in general). I mean, they don't get it. When I say some phones cost 1000.00, and then put my AD2000K on her head it just doesent register.
Help me understand this.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 145
I have a feeling most women don't like headphones because it cuts them off from being able to socialize.
redface.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 145
My wife likes headphones. The smaller the better. She has liberated my Grado SR-60's for her ipod. I bought her a pair of Yuin PK2's and she simply adores them (they are really nice--so nice I got a pair of the PK1's--but I don't mind amping my music player). She did ask me the price. I told her about 70 bucks. She was rather dismayed by my "reckless" spending. Then she told me how much she loved them and uses them all the time.

She likes my Sennheiser HD 595's (I never mention cost unless she asks and then I tell her how I got them on sale--which is often the case), but they are too big and clumsy for her. My 9 year old son has fallen in love with them (nice that his Sony Walkman has a volume limiter).

My wife likes my stereo kit. She complians about how much it cost (all pieces used or refurbed and rarely new) and then when she hears the new component or speakers, she comments on how much better it sounds (of course she lets me know how much a spendthrift I am) and we all live happily ever after.

Weird. If it sounds good, my wife "gets" it. She explodes at first and then grooves to the msuic. Hi ho!

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 145
When I found my dad's old HD580's in our garage and yelped in happiness, my family could not understand why I cared so much. "What's so great about them?"

I'd try to show my mom the differences, and it took FOREVER for her to realize (aka I had to play Turandot, her favorite opera, through my X-fi for her to notice)

I think part of it is womens' general skepticism of technology

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 145
so I tell my gf, what's with you and shoes? Isn't one pair or two enough? Well she says the same to me about my headphones.

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think women in general don't like music, at least good music. What do they listen to other than the crappy radio-friendly tunes?

I know more girls than guys who are into good music and headphones.

OP, I would agree with not caring about how much a rig costs. I couldn't care less whether someone's phones are $50 or $500 if the $50 ones sound better. I really hate it when people claim to me that things are good as a function of costing more. Though it can be true, it is not at all a hard an fast rule.

As far as not caring about the sound, it is probably because everyone is used to pop music/rap sounding terrible off ibuds and the radio, so it is no wonder that they don't care for hifi.

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as not caring about the sound, it is probably because everyone is used to pop music/rap sounding terrible off ibuds and the radio, so it is no wonder that they don't care for hifi.

lol, playing Avril Lavigne in FLAC off my rig atm..lols.
darthsmile.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #14 of 145
(shakes head)
Fortunately, my one-who-must-be-obeyed has good tastes in music, as well as appreciation for audio gear. Her dad is a serious vinyl lover, and she grew up on likes of Mozart, Chopin, Rachmaninov, and so forth. She occasionally steals my audio gear to listen, so I had to buy a 2nd pair of ad2k, until O2 mk1 funds are ready (and one ad2k is going to my office)

she has ESW9 and TF10 pros as her portable rig, so she's very supportive

also,
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/do...o-much-369593/

apparently I'm the only one with this concern.

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #15 of 145
Jeez.... how many of these threads have we already had!

First, by headphones, I assume you not including ibuds, etc. I also assume that by "like", you mean like enough have as a hobby. Now, there are girls and women who like headphones. I myself am a woman and I love them - the bigger the better (well really, the "better" sound the better). I don't know any guys (except for the people that I have met on head-fi) that are into headphones so in my world, it is the guys who "don't like headphones." Anyway, it is probably the case that, in general, one should not make sweeping generalizations like this.

If you want to ask why there aren't as many women as men who LOVE headphones, then that is a different story.

My 2 cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back