Why don't more people worry about earwax in IEMs?
Jul 10, 2022 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

jenkinsontherun

100+ Head-Fier
Let me elaborate. Our ears have wax. That wax naturally exits the ear. When we're listening for hours on end on our daily driver IEM, some of that wax can get deep in the nozzle. Sure, you can clean the sides of the nozzle with a brush, but some wax may get stuck. Don't people worry about this? Wax in the tubes surely changes the sound. Is it insignificant?

As far as I see, comply eartips are the only ones that have a wax guard thing.

The reason I asked is that I'm receiving a pair of trios (bought for a great priced used), and I'm afraid of getting wax into the nozzle. There seems to be a metal mesh on the trio's nozzle, but the mesh spacing is too large, as far as I can tell, to withhold wax from getting into the iem via the nozzle. Hence, why I ordered comply's with the wax guard to protect from this issue. But, now I am reading that comply eartips change the sound too much :/.

Any solution here? Any other thoughts/advice? It would be awesome if a high quality brand like AZLA made silicone tips with wax guards.

Peace.

Jul 10, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 28
1657490871857.png

Jul 10, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 28
I clean my ears after every shower. Do I still get wax? Sure. I get some but not much and it's rare to reach the nozzle before I clean the iem. Yes I use swabs but I do in such a way to not pack it in or damage my ears.

I think everyone worries about ear wax as a given consideration with IEMs.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 28
Same as above (goodvibes), and I check the tips after every use. Usually any wax flakes have only adhered to the inside of the tips, and have not reached the wax guard on the iems. A flick or two removes them.

Jul 14, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 28
Azla literally does. Azla Max.

I’ve been using these for a couple days now. They’re very good. It’s medical grade silicon that feels extremely comfortable in my ears. They create a solid seal for me, just like the Xelastic, the Crystal and the Standard. AZLA has their fit dialed in, for my ears at least. Audio profile wise, they sound pretty balanced to me but I haven’t a/b’d them with anything yet. They’re too comfy to swap out right now.

Jul 15, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #10 of 28
Let me elaborate. Our ears have wax. That wax naturally exits the ear. When we're listening for hours on end on our daily driver IEM, some of that wax can get deep in the nozzle. Sure, you can clean the sides of the nozzle with a brush, but some wax may get stuck. Don't people worry about this? Wax in the tubes surely changes the sound. Is it insignificant?

The reason I asked is that I'm receiving a pair of trios (bought for a great priced used), and I'm afraid of getting wax into the nozzle. There seems to be a metal mesh on the trio's nozzle, but the mesh spacing is too large, as far as I can tell, to withhold wax from getting into the iem via the nozzle. Hence, why I ordered comply's with the wax guard to protect from this issue. But, now I am reading that comply eartips change the sound too much :/.

Any solution here? Any other thoughts/advice? It would be awesome if a high quality brand like AZLA made silicone tips with wax guards.

Peace.

There are little wax guard stickers u can buy on aliexpress for a few cents for a huge row of stickers. They come in different diameters and they do not change the sound signature. Just stick it on the nozzle of iems without a wax guard for some insurance.

Jul 16, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #11 of 28
Same as above (goodvibes), and I check the tips after every use. Usually any wax flakes have only adhered to the inside of the tips, and have not reached the wax guard on the iems. A flick or two removes them.

Easy as that! Nothing to worry about minor things like moderate / usual earwax production.

Jul 16, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #12 of 28

Peace.
If you Shower every day and clean your ears, you wouldn't have to worry about wax at all, I used iem average 8 hours a day and have never have any issues with wax

Jul 16, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #13 of 28
If you Shower every day and clean your ears, you wouldn't have to worry about wax at all, I used iem average 8 hours a day and have never have any issues with wax

Yes and no. Of course everyone should stay showered and clean, but all ears are different. Some people produce a lot of wax. Some not much at all. Others suffer from psoriasis and similar conditions that cause skin to shed at a faster than normal rate. The issue isn’t always simply hygiene.

Jul 16, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #14 of 28
Yes and no. Of course everyone should stay showered and clean, but all ears are different. Some people produce a lot of wax. Some not much at all. Others suffer from psoriasis and similar conditions that cause skin to shed at a faster than normal rate. The issue isn’t always simply hygiene.
We talking about wax, not skin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back