Why does the AKG K540 sound so bad?
Jun 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dakanao

Headphoneus Supremus
I used them for like 10 minutes and they sound really bad, my $15 headphone sounds better, will they improve a lot if they're burned in? And how long do they take to burn in?

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 5
"Burn in" at best is a slight change - it won't change the overall characteristic of the headphone. If you don't like them now, you are unlikely to after "burn in."

They are something of a bad compromise. Halfway between a portable, and halfway to a true hifi headphones.

With that said - sometimes switching from one type of headphone to another can be jarring. You might give them an hour or two with a variety of music and see if you warm up to the way it sounds. Otherwise, I'd send them back. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
"Burn in" at best is a slight change - it won't change the overall characteristic of the headphone. If you don't like them now, you are unlikely to after "burn in."

They are something of a bad compromise. Halfway between a portable, and halfway to a true hifi headphones.

With that said - sometimes switching from one type of headphone to another can be jarring. You might give them an hour or two with a variety of music and see if you warm up to the way it sounds. Otherwise, I'd send them back. 

The vocals are drown out by A LOT and they really WARM, I mean it's unbelievable how warm they sound...

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 5
Could it be that you're listening to the wrong genre? I read in another post that you listen mainly to hip hop... I haven't heard the 540's, but I've listened to two other AKG cans and they're not very hip-hop friendly IMO.

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Could it be that you're listening to the wrong genre? I read in another post that you listen mainly to hip hop... I haven't heard the 540's, but I've listened to two other AKG cans and they're not very hip-hop friendly IMO

Yes I listen to hiphop mainly, they sound awesome with house though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back