Why does mainstream America not care about food?
Aug 15, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #61 of 72
This is an astonishing display of elitism and self-loathing going on here.

Listen, the answer has already been given more than once, and it's in evidence everywhere, not just America. America happens to be a country of 300 million people and the wellspring of international culture, though, so it serves as a good example.

Lets line these things up:

Myth 1: Europeans walk more. I hear this all the time from Americans who spend a few weeks in major European cities that have central transportation plans that are more than 500 years old. Sure, some Europeans walk plenty, but it's hardly some magic European constant. People who don't live in major urban areas with public transportation still drive cars.

Myth 2: Americans are lazy. This is patently untrue. Americans work more hours, with fewer vacation days, than most of the EU. Europeans aren't lazy, either, for that matter. You don't build a hegemon out of laziness.

Myth 3: Europe isn't fat. I'll let you take one guess at the nation with the highest rate of obesity, per capita, in the world. That's right, the US. Wanna know who's second? France.

There's one definitive causality here: meal habits.

When I lived in Turkey, I spent two hours a night eating dinner. Dinner was huge, bigger than anything I would normally eat in the States, but I lost weight consistently.

If American culture valued mealtime the same way as traditional European culture does, Americans would, on the whole, be in better physical shape. American culture, however, is different. Everywhere in Europe that adopts a more American attitude towards work and life sees an increase in productivity at the expense of things like meal time and passive physical fitness.

I love living in Europe, which I do about half the time, but try as I may I can't live like a European in America. C'est la vie.

P.S. thanks for the foodie link. No matter what country I'm in, I love me some good food.

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #62 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simple food doesn't have to be bad just because Applebees sucks.

I should have just read this first before I posted a freaking thesis. Well said, Superpredator, all of it.

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #63 of 72
The typical American diet is loaded with Fast-Food (McD, Taco Bell), Junk-Food (Doritos, Frozen Pizza), with very little in the way of wholesome vegetables and whole grains.
Hell, even when people do eat a salad they smother it with fat (salad dressing) and cheese and turn something healthy into something fattening.
Then there is what the average American drinks: Coffee for breakfast (usually with sugar and cream), Soda for lunch and Beer for dinner.

Not to mention all the TV Americans sit on their fat butts and watch for umpteen hours.

This is why we are the fattest and have the most heart disease of any country.

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #64 of 72
Americans tend to put cheese on everything, or some sort of fatty ingredient. Herbs and spices are where it's at! Also, fresh ingredients are higher in nutrients so you don't have to eat as much and consume the rest of the crap that comes along with it.

I've been doing a lot of gourmet cooking for a while now, it's not really that expensive if you shop in the right places. Farmers markets are awesome! Not only is the produce outstanding, but you find all sorts of new stuff to try. The internet has really made cooking for yourself easy with sites like Epicurious, Foodtv, along with the countless food blogs (I frequent simplyrecipes.com and cookthink.com)

Food shouldn't be an afterthought, it should be an experience.
beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #65 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Listen, the answer has already been given more than once, and it's in evidence everywhere, not just America. America happens to be a country of 300 million people and the wellspring of international culture, though, so it serves as a good example.

Lets line these things up:

Myth 1: Europeans walk more. I hear this all the time from Americans who spend a few weeks in major European cities that have central transportation plans that are more than 500 years old. Sure, some Europeans walk plenty, but it's hardly some magic European constant. People who don't live in major urban areas with public transportation still drive cars.

Myth 2: Americans are lazy. This is patently untrue. Americans work more hours, with fewer vacation days, than most of the EU. Europeans aren't lazy, either, for that matter. You don't build a hegemon out of laziness.

Myth 3: Europe isn't fat. I'll let you take one guess at the nation with the highest rate of obesity, per capita, in the world. That's right, the US. Wanna know who's second? France.

I find that very difficult to believe about France. I was there recently and even in the suburbs. It was hard to find a fat person and I am an avid people watcher. In all fairness, Europe and Asia is getting fatter according to statistics but nothing on the level of what I see in the States.

Keep in mind that I am not bashing America. I know a few Europeans who live in the states and they also have big tummies like the rest of us. We are a fat nation no matter what origin we are from.

We are getting too fat!!! Help!!

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #66 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Americans tend to put cheese on everything, or some sort of fatty ingredient. Herbs and spices are where it's at! Also, fresh ingredients are higher in nutrients so you don't have to eat as much and consume the rest of the crap that comes along with it.

I agree and many food lovers also agree too. We Americans don't balance the flavors as well as people in other nations. We love to eat mediocre chocolate too. We also love to eat these candies and cakes that are way too sweet. Great desserts in Italy are not too sweet and more balanced. The problem with people's tastes is that they are so used to the industrial artifical flavors.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #67 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Whaaa???

If there is something obviously wrong, I would love to address it. It's not about being a high level elitist. This is definity an issue that's spreading. The quality of food is becoming more industialized in the main stream and we are getting fatter, thus diabetes and cancer is a concern as well.

In all fairness, there is lot's of great food in America but compared to elswhere, it's not as as good.

The supermarkets in America are terrible compared to the ethnic grocery stores. Look at the center isles and see the enornous amount of packaged foods made by the industries. Those foods in those boxes will be more convienent for the busy workers like us but we sacrifice real flavor.

And to add insult to injury, they are packed with calories which leads to obesity and cancer.

ugh!!

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #68 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In Asia, food is the most important topic of the day...

Really? Then those are some pretty dull people. And yes, I'll have fries with that.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #69 of 72
I also want to add that we do have time to cook our own meals. The average American spends 2 hours a day watching TV or the internet. It only takes about 30 minutes or so to cook a home meal.

We need to cut back on TV and internet and go back to nature.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #70 of 72
This is why I'm learning to cook, and to cook right. You either spend colossal amounts on food to not eat garbage, or you use fresh, local produce and prepare good food from scratch every day. The latter does take a lot of effort, but it's either that, or follow the rest of mainstream america into obesity. I'm not going down that path if I can help it.

It's pretty ironic that the most youth, looks, health, and thinness-obsessed nation also has the highest obesity rate and some of the worst health habits around. But I suppose it makes sense from a marketing perspective. If you have a population of overweight trolls you can sell them all the beauty products you want, as long as they don't work of course - because if they do, you're suddenly out of a market.

Though when it comes to trolls, I should really be talking
rolleyes.gif
though at least I'm a skinny troll, and slowly getting into shape.

Aug 17, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #71 of 72
2 hours of TV a day? Oh I can't imagine how the US would look if that in fact the case. Creativity among the general public and fitness might jump up through the roof. The real number is in fact a staggering 30 hours/week. See for example this article:

Average home has more TVs than people - USATODAY.com

I mean, these numbers more or less correspond to another job. There has to be more to life than working, sleeping and watching TV. I looked up the swedish numbers, and they are not quite as bad but still quite high. 2 hours and 37 minutes a day is the average here. Still, that is 12 hours less than the american average.

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #72 of 72
Watching too much TV and the TV commercials here advertise these packaged convenient food products that taste nothing like real homemade old fashioned food. People buy up these products and watch more TV.
popcorn.gif

I want to be fair here and say that it is also spreading globally. I don't want to see Asians and Europeans becoming fat too like us Americans but it could happen in the next 20 years. Soon, it will be hard to buy pants for skinny people. I'm worried and I don't know how to make DIY clothes. In recent reports, China and Japan is getting fatter.

China grows fat while embracing Western lifestyle - USATODAY.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back