Why does everyone hate the Audigys?
Aug 5, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #31 of 52
Asmo,

Dont get me wrong, the sound quality of good sound cards are good.
They just aren't great.

Every digital out is perfect and if it's not the dac will make it perfect. By doing this you're pretty much taking the soudcard out of the equation.

Wodgy,

Aug 5, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #32 of 52
basshead.gif

I disagree with all your statements, I am not gonna argue this, i'm also not trying to say PC is better, but it can be just as good as any CDP setup, you are only replacing the CDP in the chain with your PC, a good dac and amp are essential in any setup. And your PC is gonna be better as a digital transport than a $25 CDP thats for sure.

Aug 5, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctn
Asmo,

Dont get me wrong, the sound quality of good sound cards are good.
They just aren't great.

Every digital out is perfect and if it's not the dac will make it perfect. By doing this you're pretty much taking the soudcard out of the equation.

Wodgy,

Okay bro, I'm just trying to follow your logic here. Am I correct in saying that you say a 20 dollar CDP is better than a PC with a decent soundcard? You listed a DAC+amp+headphones with the CDP. If you run a DAC+amp+headphones off of an Audigy it'll sound "much better" too. I don't understand.

Aug 5, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
basshead.gif

And your PC is gonna be better as a digital transport than a $25 CDP thats for sure.

I disagree.

Better, yep.
More accurate, nope.

Aug 5, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007
Okay bro, I'm just trying to follow your logic here. Am I correct in saying that you say a 20 dollar CDP is better than a PC with a decent soundcard? You listed a DAC+amp+headphones with the CDP. If you run a DAC+amp+headphones off of an Audigy it'll sound "much better" too. I don't understand.

No offence but, read it a few more times "bro".

Aug 5, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #36 of 52
Well, this is silly to argue about, I don't know what kind of gear your talkin about here, a lot of ppl have favored the output quality of the emu 1212m to many CDps costing upwards of $1000~ and not just referring to the CA meet, since then people have bought them and compared to CDPs they have owned, even recently another head-fi'er prefered it to his Arcam CD72T.

And I think a PC IS just as good, if not better than poorly made CDP for transport method. You'd have to come up with some sort of proof on why you think a CDP, a $25 CDP no matter would be better
evil_smiley.gif

Maybe we should be comparing DACs to Soundcards.

Aug 5, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
And I think a PC IS just as good, if not better than poorly made CDP for transport method. You'd have to come up with some sort of proof on why you think a CDP, a $25 CDP no matter would be better
evil_smiley.gif

I didnt say the $20 dollar cdp will be better. I said the 20 dollar cdp + dac + amp + headphones combo would be better. i.e. you can spend the money you spent on the PC on the dac/amp/phones unless of course you already have a PC and you want to go down that path.

Lets stop this pointless argument...

Aug 5, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #38 of 52
Ok, in that case I agree lol.

Minus the cost of a PC all together, yes.

Not to mention tweaking your computer, for noise, power, vibration, etc.

Oh well, have a good night Ctn i am off to bed
580smile.gif

Aug 5, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctn
No offence but, read it a few more times "bro".

I did read it. My point was that you stated "much better" in reference to sound quality. Then you stated your argument in reference to price by the end of the thread. Either way I disagree. Sorry about the "bro". I did not mean anything by it.

Aug 6, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #42 of 52
just installed chaintech av-710 after removing modded Audigy2.. this is no way better then modded A2.. closed sound, much less detailed, perhaps due to the output caps.. good card for the money, excelent digital output when flashed to some more pro card, but it can't beat modded Audigy2..

no real bass, too bad.. I admit, that Audigy2 card had LC filter with 680uH and 2200uF per rail, this indeed helps especially the bass..

edit: both cards hooked to PPA w/ diamond buffers, then to HD580.. no need to worry about bad conditions..

Aug 6, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #43 of 52
Are you using the AV-710 unamped? If so that's your problem (especially with HD580's). The AV-710 doesn't have a built-in amplifer on the alt-out so it can't properly drive headphones by itself. If you have a spare receiver or stereo around your house with line-in and headphones out then try hooking the AV-710 up to that and using it's headphone jack.

Aug 10, 2004 at 12:21 PM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by hybridamp
Each ear is different, each sonic preference is different, each interpretation of sonic signatures is different, and obviously each choice of music genre is different. So before you let someone on a forum change your mind about something, be sure to try it yourself. People usually tend to follow more respected others, rather than stand out from the crowd, even when they know that they prefer the other thing more.

Wise words, hyrbidamp.

I think it's very strange that i read tons of reviews all over the web, and this is the only place where (allmost ) everybody agrees the Audigy 2 ZS is crap.

I've ordered it, and i will decide for myself :)

Aug 10, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #45 of 52
Most places compare and review the card under the usage it is made for: gaming. It is simply the best gaming card on market right now. No comments on my part for the sound quality because I have never had the chance to use one. I do doubt a little that it's as bad as people are making it (sure it has some dumb design choices like the 48KHz thing, but then fix it by software resampling, after all many people here prefer resampled music even with the good sound cards).

And about that $25 CDP winning a PC for sound quality. With properly ripped cd's you get no reading errors at all (reading done only once, then you need not to worry about cd's getting scratched), but some cheap CDP will exhibit read errors on scratched discs while playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back