Why do you listen with headphones?
Mar 14, 2006 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

mcygn

New Head-Fier
What's the profile of a headphone devotee?

Wes Philips of stereophile, etc, is an audiophile to be sure, and a musician, and yet he'll chose to use
senn hd600's; equinox cable, x-can v3
http://www.onhifi.com/product/musica...ty_xcan_v3.htm

Other folks have a portable player and a custom set of IEM's and that's their main audio joy
http://t2prot2i.freewebpage.org/T2PROT2i.html

For other folks, perhaps like myself, this is both the most affordable and practical way to hear high-quality audio, via something like wes philip's or simiar rig: even if there were an option to multiply by 10 and get the same quality stereo, living circumstances predicate against turning up the volume the speakers deserve.

So, why do you choose headphones? when?
If you have a stellar stereo, why and when cans?
Do you only wear them on the go, in the office, in transit?

Whether you are here because you're looking for a good recommendation on how to spend a few quid for ipod replacement earpieces, or are dipping in here because you are a headphones devotee, and are questing after the next cable upgrade, or better tubes for your headphone amp, where and why do headphones fit into your audio life?

looking forward to your stories.

mcygn

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 48
I don t always listen with headphones, and actually I d rather not have anything on my head, but it s much cheaper than quality speakers.
I use K1000 at home
I m trying to get into IEMs, but my ears are reluctant

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 48
Mainly so I don't have to hear the cows at work and their crappy music, at home it is so I can blast music without disturbing the wife. And of course on the go - why torture myself with crap sounds?
smily_headphones1.gif
On occasion though I still prefer cans vs speakers depending on the track or what condition I'm in.

At this point my headphones ARE better than my stereo... that's next to upgrade!

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 48
I don't care much for portable audio.

I have had speakers in the past. They weren't very useful, as I didn't have much freedom over when I could play them. Living in dorms and apartments, and travelling around a lot, the only way for me to have good musical enjoyment is with the relative transportability and privacy of headphones.

I could buy a good-sounding speaker rig which would have advantages over any headphones. But owning it would be a total pain to me and others. I couldn't easily take it with me when I visit home or go to work in another city, and I couldn't use it late at night when I do most of my listening.

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 48
I started out with speakers...Maggies (which I still have stuck in a closet) and while I love to listen to music, I couldn't use my speakers as freely as I wanted. I'd always have to check to make sure the volume was not too loud--a problem since I like to listen late into the night.
Also, I move around alot as well, so that's another inconvenience.
That's why I'm willing to put so much resources into a great headphone system. I get the freedom to enjoy music anytime I want to.

And after listening to the Orpheus system, I've finally found what I wanted when listening to music and I don't regret at all not listening to speakers.

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 48
I really enjoy my speaker based set up when I can listen to it, but I now have two little kids, and I don't get nearly as much as I would like. With headphones I can listen most of the day and late at night without bothering anyone (or being bothered by anyone). I listen while working, when I want to really *listen* to music in the evenings, and when I travel.

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 48
You can go really high end without being a millionaire. Unlike with speaker hi-fi, or sports cars, or electric guitars, or most other things in life.

And they make my music sound better, and make me fall in love with music again and again.

And Head-Fi is a cozy place in the cold world that is the internet.

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 48
I choose headphones because they're much more convenient than speakers for the situations that I find myself in. I live in a dorm and I study mainly at the library, so not only is the size of my dorm room not work for speakers, but the noise level would probably drive some people crazy.

I'm always at the library too, so I like having my portable amp and portable cans to keep my ears happy while I study.

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 48
1) Listening Time (I mainly listen late at night when at home)
2) Listening Environment (I can't use speakers at work, or at the library)
3) Cost of entry (same quality or better for a lot less vs. speakers)
4) I actually like the headphone presentation. I feel closer to the music.

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth

x2

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #12 of 48
I listen to headphones for two reasons: mainly so the music can go with me as I work around the house, and many times I just like the music "in my head" so I can really focus on what the muscians are doing. I just got some Grado 225's and a HeadRoom AirHead. After breaking in the headphones, it sounds great!
I must say that I still really enjoy listening to high quality speakers and having a more live presentation to the music.

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 48
I'm just going to go ahead and agree with what everyone else wrote - headphones are much cheaper for quality than speakers. I don't have to worry about the volume (I'm getting closed headphones, so I really don't). More portable.

I also like that when I'm listening to headphones, I feel a little more like it's *my* music. :) There's no one else listening to my music right now - just me. There's no one else being annoyed by my music - just me. :wink:

There's one last thing - it's been a lot of work researching headphones. But for the love of god, it's nothing compared to researching speakers! It's like headphones + room acoustics + positioning + where you're sitting. If I wanted to have to sit in a specific spot to have the best audio, I'm more than covered with headphones, aren't I?
580smile.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 48
I used to be into listening to music portably, and I came here looking for recommendations on earphones that could isolate sound. When I tried out the UE Super.fi 5 Pro, I was blown away by the detail and quality it had over my Sony earbuds; however, they were not comfortable with the foam tips, and the soft rubber tips would not seal well--so I sent them back. But, since then, I have not been able to use my Sony earbuds--ever. So I got the HD595, and it sounds even better than the SF5P, but, again, comfort is an issue--so I'm selling them to a guy I know once my K701 comes in.

But these headphones have turned listening to music into something that I do with focus; rather than listening to it as background music or as something to drown out the people on the bus. I recently decided to just not even bother with portable music at this point.

If I could have a high-end stereo system, I would much rather buy that than use headphones. However, my current residence is not well suited for that, and I don't have the money to set something like that up anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back