Why do you listen to vinyl?
Mar 21, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
I am sorry it wasn't up to your standards.
tongue.gif
But I had thought and hoped it provided a sufficient basis for someone with a general vinyl question to help them understand or appreciate why people prefer vinyl.

I'll be taking a look at your link and thanks for ensuring that things are complete and not oversimplified.
tongue.gif

Sorry. I wasn't intending to be negative. It's just that the site "Howstuffworks" can be very simplistic and often does not address salient points. The article you referred to was the very same article that had me misinformed for quite some time.... however, my ears always told me that I preferred the digital format.

Mar 21, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Sorry. I wasn't intending to be negative. It's just that the site "Howstuffworks" can be very simplistic and often does not address salient points. The article you referred to was the very same article that had me misinformed for quite some time.... however, my ears always told me that I preferred the digital format.

No worries. I didn’t take your remarks seriously.

After clicking on the link provided and reading the article I am just plain skeptical since I have not read any other similar type information that supports Chris Tham’s research and conclusion. I try my best to be objective and I don’t put too much stock into a particular person’s theory even if it is supported by their scientific research results. I personally would need some collaboration to be somewhat convinced. Yet I think Tham’s is just a digital pundit against the vast majority of vinyl analog research and articles available. He could be right, but based on what I’ve read it appears he is definitely digitals lone voice.

Based on what I heard so far I think CDs and vinyl have their strengths and weakness. I’ve heard incredible things with both. I am recently getting into vinyl and need more time to come to any firm conclusions, but overall I enjoy certain things about vinyl much more than CDs.

Without question, I preferred the Meridian G08 over my ESound E5. I wonder why the folks at Meridian and many other companies attempt to mimic analog audio with a digital player. And there are so many factors that could influence an individual to dislike or prefer digital over analog and vice verse that have very little to do with the format but more to do with the gear or even the extra skill and effort vinyl requires.

I am not pro-vinyl or anti-digital in any regard, but based on what you’ve written in this thread it appears quiet obvious that vinyl isn’t your cup of tea.

I am curious, what make and model CD player are you using for a source?

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
I am not pro-vinyl or anti-digital in any regard, but based on what you’ve written in this thread it appears quiet obvious that vinyl isn’t your cup of tea.

I am curious, what make and model CD player are you using for a source?

I'm actually not anti-vinyl... it just didn't work for me. I loved the gear, but I couldn't deal with the surface noise, however minimal it was. The recorded material definitely plays a huge role, but I feel that there is plenty of well recorded digital material that sounds amazing throuh my digital rigs. It sounds better to me than vinyl, but others would disagree.

I use a G08 in my headphone rig, a Classe Omega SACD2 in my 2.2. channel rig and a Denon 5910 in my 5.1 rig. I just ordered the Bel Canto PL-1a for my 5.1 rig as an audio only source.

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

I'm actually not anti-vinyl... it just didn't work for me. I loved the gear, but I couldn't deal with the surface noise, however minimal it was. The recorded material definitely plays a huge role, but I feel that there is plenty of well recorded digital material that sounds amazing throuh my digital rigs. It sounds better to me than vinyl, but others would disagree.

I use a G08 in my headphone rig, a Classe Omega SACD2 in my 2.2. channel rig and a Denon 5910 in my 5.1 rig. I just ordered the Bel Canto PL-1a for my 5.1 rig as an audio only source.

One last question, I am curious as to how you cleaned your vinyl?

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
One last question, I am curious as to how you cleaned your vinyl?

VPI record cleaner with Bugtussel. I had pristine vinyl, but every now and then i would hear a pop or click that would drive me nuts. I also couldn't escape the feeling that the "warmth" I was hearing was just distortion and surface noise.. but again, that was just my perception. I don't discount the opinion of the many vinyl lovers who feel that it sounds better.

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #21 of 25
Nostalgia, baby. Something about that static and fuzziness, well makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Plus there is the setup, the ritual of pulling the record out of its sleeve, cleaning it, and putting on the TT. Lift the arm and carefully position it...

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Quick question. The table in your pic. I recently got rid of my VPI Superscoutmaster and XR-10B. I don't regret it b/c it was too much rig for the little vinyl I care about. I also gave away my Technics SL12000GLD to a friend in need. My father-in-law has that exact Denon turntable sitting in his house and has offered it to me. I've thouht about grabbing it just so I have something to spin an occasional rare record. Is that table any good?

It's a Denon DP-59L, and it is considered to be one of the very best Denon made. It's a VERY good, quiet, reliable turntable. They go for $500-1,000 used, depending on condition.

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
It's a Denon DP-59L, and it is considered to be one of the very best Denon made. It's a VERY good, quiet, reliable turntable. They go for $500-1,000 used, depending on condition.

Cool. I'll grab it this weekend. I always thought it looked like a quality piece. It's in mint condition, although I 'll have to see if the cartrdge needs to be replaced.

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
I am sorry it wasn't up to your standards.
tongue.gif
But I had thought and hoped it provided a sufficient basis for someone with a general vinyl question to help them understand or appreciate why people prefer vinyl.

I'll be taking a look at your link and thanks for ensuring that things are complete and not oversimplified.
tongue.gif

Don't worry too much about Audiholics web site. They're famous high end haters (cables don't matter, tweeks don't work, analog is dead, etc...)

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Don't worry too much about Audiholics web site. They're famous high end haters (cables don't matter, tweeks don't work, analog is dead, etc...)

Yes, but not everything they have to say is BS... furthermore, I don't really have a problem with their typical technical analysis as it is usually based on sound logic and scientific principles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back