Why do you listen to headphones?
Sep 30, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #16 of 69
Listen mostly out of neccesity, but also sometimes for pleasur. Sometimes I prefer to listen to headphones, as it cuts you off completely from whats going on around you. Generally if I could all of the time, it would always be speakers though, as I find the experience less fatiguing.

Sep 30, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #17 of 69
I like my speaker setup as much as my headphones. I don't think I need to spend 30k on it (speakers) to match my headphone (although they are essentially one and the same in my case). The reason why I listen to headphones is that they give me a different perspective. At times, the music and especially vocals feel more intimate to me with headphones. Then again, there are also times when I crave for a more realistic soundstage with the performers spread out 5 feet in front of me, at which time, speakers just sound so right.

Sep 30, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #18 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
Can't really walk around campus carrying 50lbs of speaker and related accesorries...

Here at UCI there's this kid that walks around with speakers on his backpack blasting music (never actually saw him but heard from various sources)...so it can be done!
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #20 of 69
Can't afford decent speakers and don't want to disturb other family members (living with parents) at any time (particularily at late night). The usual story
tongue.gif

Sep 30, 2004 at 9:32 AM Post #21 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
  1. Better bang for buck by MILES
  2. I don't want to own a lot of stuff that can't be moved when I move countries next, which I tend to do occasionally.

Amen. I even kept my system strictly computer-based for this purpose, so that all my rig will fit in one small case.

Sep 30, 2004 at 9:35 AM Post #22 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by petery83
Here at UCI there's this kid that walks around with speakers on his backpack blasting music (never actually saw him but heard from various sources)...so it can be done!
wink.gif

Here there's a guy who wears a cape with Pi sign
blink.gif

Sep 30, 2004 at 10:22 AM Post #24 of 69
I have elderly neighbours below me (I live on the top floor so no neighbours above).

My apartment has really thick walls though... So it's only the bass from my speakers that travels down. As a consequence, headphones are a necessity for late night listening.

Also, I tend to listen to headphones when I'm working. The (animation) studio can be a dull place without the music... just the hum of twenty IBM's...

... I also use headphones when I'm editing music, going for a walk or a run.

The Kenwood radio/cd changer/iPod has music duties in the car.

Sep 30, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #28 of 69
I listen to headphones because they give the best value for money in terms of an audiophile sound when compared to huge amps and speakers. Really a diy amp plus sr-225s=mid-fi sound+ for budget money. However I do miss a real soundstage and bass feeling when listening to headphones sometimes.

Sep 30, 2004 at 1:22 PM Post #29 of 69
Most of the time I prefer listening to speakers. However, by the time I sit down to listen, my wife and my son are either sleeping or on their way. I think the next major upgrade to my set up will be some floorstanding speakers.

Sep 30, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #30 of 69
-I live in a small apartment, so I need to be quiet (and isolate myself from my less considerate neighbors).

-I can maximize my sound quality on a small budget.

-I can move my headphones from place to place, so I can have the same great sound wherever I am.

-Due to odd architecture, I can't really arrange my furniture to create a "sweet spot" for listening to speakers. With headphones I'm in the sweet spot all the time.

-I like the extra immediacy and energy of headphones. Lately I even find myself preferring closed over open headphones for this reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back