Why do you like bass ( deepness , impact , blablabla ) ??
Mar 23, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #16 of 56
Bass is part of the rhythm section. Good bass helps the music keeps the beat and is in time with the drums. On top of that, it is deep and can be felt as well as heard. It is non-directional, which is why sub-woofers work. You can't really tell where they're placed. Bass really shouldn't be the focus of the music but the foundation, helping keep the tempo. Tempo is what gets most people tapping their toes.

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #17 of 56
I consider bass as spine and bones of music and mids and highs as flesh. Without bones, music falls flat and powerless like flesh. But also without flesh covering bones... you get the idea.

I like strong bass. Stronger the better AS LONG AS IT DOESNT COVER A DAMN NOTE on other spectrums. I also love detailed highs and mids which are really important for me!

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #18 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
I consider bass as spine and bones of music and mids and highs as flesh. Without bones, music falls flat and powerless like flesh. But also without flesh covering bones... you get the idea.

I like strong bass. Stronger the better AS LONG AS IT DOESNT COVER A DAMN NOTE on other spectrums. I also love detailed highs and mids which are really important for me!

QFA. Bass draws me to the music, the rest of the spectrum helps keep me there.

That's just me, though.

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #19 of 56
I need to feel my guts jiggle.

basshead.gif

Seriously though - it is what sets the beat for most types of music. Easy to follow along to the *thumps*. Yeah, I'm caucasian
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
I don't think anyone likes bass to where they want it at the total expense of the midrange/high. That would mean 100% of the notes are bass notes!
biggrin.gif

Hmm, good point.
340smile.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #23 of 56
I like bass in the way playing accompaniment.

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #24 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Simply put, bassheads aren't audiophiles. They aren't even really enjoying their music properly...

There is no "proper way" to enjoy music, that's the beauty of music. Music is all about perception and what makes people happy. What one person calls "dark" others call "veiled", what some call "sparkly" others call "screechy". Besides, if there were a "proper" way to listen to music, we would all be listening to the same cans and speakers... the ones that musicians and engineers use to record and mix.

Let the bassheads love their bass and let the audiophiles love their equipment.

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #25 of 56
it gets me pumped up when i work out...probably adds +5% to whatever i can do...It gives the music the BANG it needs...however mids are very important too!

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #26 of 56
Me? I love good, deep powerful bass. It is fully one third of the musical equation unless you like chamber music etc. Bass is the foundation, the beat and the bit that get's my toes tapping. Without it in sufficient quantities the music sounds thin and wishy-washy. I'm not really a bass-head, rather a bass appreciator.

It's supposed to be there and it should be represented in full measure. It is every bit as important to me as the mids and highs. Most people are happy without full extension at either end of the spectrum as we're brought up on a diet of crappy TVs, radios and car audio and sundry other musical torture devices. Once you know what you're missing however, you should rail against these limitations at every opportunity.

I like bass, I want bass and if I can't hear it properly I will EQ it or change 'phones. Bad bass is not good whether flabby, boomy, one-note or whatever but we all know that. Good bass, well reproduced can bring the music alive.

Mar 24, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #28 of 56
speaking in the masses' perspective... i believe bass is so overhyped because it has been traditionally absent in various electronic devices with a speaker (e.g. am radios, tvs, telephones even)

so when joe consumer hears something with bass, even if its boomy uncontrolled bass, he automatically assumes 'this is good sound!' he could never hear this boom in his tinny tv speakers, so to him this is awesome.

also, i believe adding a boomy sound is easy for the manufacturer and could be considered a 'feature' (mega bass anyone?) for marketers to jump all over

Mar 24, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Audiophiles strive for good sound, not for good types of a certain sound. Bass is most recognized because the body can actually feel the waves that bass creates - deep, punchy bass is felt when emitted, and it therefore implements more than just the sense of hearing when it is let out. This so-called "tight", "deep" bass is normally not even close to natural. An acoustic plucked upright bass does not sound like it does through those 'basshead' speaker systems.

If your quest in audio is bass, then you might as well get a 14 inch subwoofer and strap it to your head. Then you'd actually be able to enjoy only what you're wanting to enjoy and leave the rest of the music out of the picture, thereby eliminating any other distractions.
rolleyes.gif

Most audible sound in real life is in the 'midrange' category. It is thus most important to make sure those sound good, before you get into the bass and the treble. While they're all equally important, the midrange is the sound you'll be hearing the most, so it should sound the best. That's why you have to climb very high up the speaker ladder before midrange becomes a quality, and not a fault.

Simply put, bassheads aren't audiophiles. They aren't even really enjoying their music properly, since bass is a foundation for beat and rhythm, and often times not a melodic or compositionally-complex aspect of the music. It's time to look at the forest, and not just the individual trees.

Thank you for explaining to me that I am not an audiophile because I like a certain sound. Also, thanks for explaining how to listen to music, I guess I've been doing it all wrong. I guess enjoying music doesn't actually involve enjoying music.

Or you're just a pretentious idiot... Yeah let's go with that one.

Mar 24, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #30 of 56
The market for the masses is rife with cheap, crappy sound which is artificially bass-boosted as this lends instant 'in shop' impressiveness. We all know real bass should be in balance with the rest of the sound and aren't quite so easily swayed by cheesy demos. However, this usually leads people to see hi-fi in very colored tems and it's difficult to educate them as to what it should be like. This though, is a discussion amongst the enlightened who know bass and who know what balance and moderation (in our sound) is about. I find it difficult to understand why anyone should like a bass-light system if that bass isn't of poor quality or overwhelming. It is a part of the music and needs to be there or the sound will never be faithful to the spirit of the recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back