1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Why do we like it so much?

1. Pepsione1
    Anyone know the answers to my questions? What makes us humans like these noises, or the so we called music, so much? How does our brain process these information fed by the ears and what are the decisive factors when we classify the music as gold or junk? Surely there are many narrow minded people that like generalize and have bias opinions about certain types of music. I like calling it music discrimination.[​IMG] IMO, listening to music is as visual as looking at pictures. What I mean is music is about pattern recognization. I know this fact is pretty obvious but not everyone realize that. Our brain is constantly doing pattern matching in order to process the info collected by our senses. For example, when your eyes look at an object, first you would analyze its shape, form and color. Then your brain would make assumptions or guesses and verify each guess to see if there is a match. This is happening every second of our life and this process is usually done in a fraction of a second. But think back to the last time when you were starring at a picture but couldn't figure out the objects in it. That's because your brain couldn't find a close enough match to convince you that your guesses were valid. Anyway I am pretty sure this applies to music too. That's why music that are more complex has to be listened over and over again before it will be appreciated. But why do we get bored of music we once liked? Its because we've memeorized its pattern so well that its not simulating anymore? There is no longer a need to analyze the information anymore and it has lost the attention our the brain.[​IMG]

Yeah its friday night and i just came back from my one hour of mindless driving. Through out the whole trip I couldn't stop thinking about it so I thought I should post it here. lol[​IMG]

2. wallijonn
    Music hath charms to soothe the savage beast. Or make him a raging lion.

It depends on whether or not you have a physical connection (via a lover) or if the music is unknown.

In either case one associates a cord or a riff from a past experience and it unleashes the mind to fondly remember past events.

In the case of music, it evokes an emotional response. In the case of lyrics it evokes intellectual responses. In the case of social events the hormones released by others trigger a response.

If one is depressed and after listening it makes us happier, we tend to associate that response and wish to re-experience it later.

In the case of music we no longer like, it is either because our ears are now tuned to a better sound, or we have bad associations with it, but most likely because it no longer evokes an expected response (especially if we associate it with a broken heart).

Why is cetain music "hits"? Because it elicted the same response with many people.

3. Tom M
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pepsione1
    Anyone know the answers to my questions? What makes us humans like these noises, or the so we called music, so much? How does our brain process these information fed by the ears and what are the decisive factors when we classify the music as gold or junk? Surely there are many narrow minded people that like generalize and have bias opinions about certain types of music. I like calling it music discrimination.[​IMG] IMO, listening to music is as visual as looking at pictures. What I mean is music is about pattern recognization. I know this fact is pretty obvious but not everyone realize that. Our brain is constantly doing pattern matching in order to process the info collected by our senses. For example, when your eyes look at an object, first you would analyze its shape, form and color. Then your brain would make assumptions or guesses and verify each guess to see if there is a match. This is happening every second of our life and this process is usually done in a fraction of a second. But think back to the last time when you were starring at a picture but couldn't figure out the objects in it. That's because your brain couldn't find a close enough match to convince you that your guesses were valid. Anyway I am pretty sure this applies to music too. That's why music that are more complex has to be listened over and over again before it will be appreciated. But why do we get bored of music we once liked? Its because we've memeorized its pattern so well that its not simulating anymore? There is no longer a need to analyze the information anymore and it has lost the attention our the brain.[​IMG]

Yeah its friday night and i just came back from my one hour of mindless driving. Through out the whole trip I couldn't stop thinking about it so I thought I should post it here. lol[​IMG]

Interesting question. Interesting avatar too.[​IMG]

4. wallijonn
    because it feels good.

5. Rizumu
    Because I have a final in 5 hours and an essay due and it is the only thing that can soothe my nerves...

6. Old Pa
    *Sorry* - I thought from the thread title that this would be about sex. [​IMG]

7. Spareribs
    I had a teacher who once said that music is the mother of all the arts.

One of the basic foundations of music is rhythm and beats. Even in classical music and in ancient chant music too, there is that element of pace.

People like rhythm and pace and music makes it blossom into something engaging.

Of course, there have been books written about music so the lists could go on and on.

8. youngarthur
    I was introduced to music at the age of 11, by a brother in law, who played in the Ted Heath Band. Now at 79 years old, and a HiFi nut, I decided its about time I learnt to play the Drums!. I love Jazz/Dance/Big Bands, and have a great system to use, detached property, and no one living nearby. Why the love of music?. No idea, but it gives me great joy.

9. Spareribs
    There can be many answers on why boredom in music exists. But the thing is that many people like variations. I know that many musicians like to play a song differently especially in the world of jazz. A song can be interpreted differently and is flexible. In classical music, musicians like to play the pieces differently too which includes changes of phrasing and tempo. So boredom can come if the song always sounds the same.

Also, people like cover versions of songs and a different version can breathe life into a song again so if you got bored with the song, a new singer or even a new live version can make it alive once more.

Another reason why we get bored is that many of us move on. In high school, I used to listen to heavy metal and I still love bands like Black Sabbath but I felt that I needed to move on to new sounds. I recently went through a phase of listening to Japanese pop music and that was fun.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  10. Redcarmoose
    Music is like visual art in that the colors could be correlated into parallels........in which the whole is much greater than the individual brush strokes. Thus sound could be one color........ but put many colors together and they start to represent more; maybe a landscape or a mood which is reflective of a human emotion or memory from the past? This abstraction is why there are many meanings........ just as in life........a sunset could represent nighttime or a feeling of romance depending on how the mind is taking it all in. Maybe all this “stuff” has coordinates related to time and place?

Why music can all of a sudden become boring while other music stays fresh like bread is a big question? Maybe there is a connection to style and fashion where some things represent their time........later become dated? Though other music is classic and will always be. The question is why do the sounds also lose fascination to us? Some sounds just by themselves may be classic? But colors too have a time to be “in”. Are these things controlled and suggested like a fashion trend or do they represent more like an era? Do sounds only sound special because they are new and non-explored? Surprisingly musicians look for these sounds, as they need to be fresh but also integrate with what the musician is saying. Are sounds like words, which go out of fashion? Why are some sounds cool? Why is some music dated? Most-likely it’s all due to perception of the individual. At times the past gets reintroduced and becomes new once more, but of course to a generation which hasn’t heard it before.

Yet all this never completely answers the human minds fascination for music. That it’s some connection to life which can’t be measured or quantitatively observed and understood. As it rents space in that netherworld slightly beyond reality......only met while in dreams asleep or while in a special mood. As with music......and art .....it’s true nature only glimpsed at a time when we truly feel alive.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020