Why do USB cables make such a difference?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #706 of 1,606
Well, insanely bad design from a super popular brands unfortunately exist. See my measurements of a few USB cables and impact on actual output of a DAC:

index.php

Now this doesn't mean an audiophile cable is better (see my tests). It is just that this is not a matter of impossibility. There is a USB bus whaling inside the DAC and must be isolated very well from the rest of DAC.
Troublemaker.:)

Mar 12, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #707 of 1,606
Lol...we are getting to the same place.

I can promise that the results would have been the same with a an "audiophile" USB cable of the same length. My guess is the shielding acting as an antenna, and the Modi not being designed to deal with that. But this is outside my expertise at this point.

Mar 12, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #708 of 1,606
100% true....but the graph kinda flies in the face of "they're all the same"....audible?maybe to a bat....still obviously different though.

For the purposes of connecting home audio components they are identical.

This is the sort of thing that confuses people. Folks stumble into sound science and they see a cable thread like this. They look at a chart without understanding the context of it and assume that there's a difference. They go out and spend too much on a cable that makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

It's more useful to just say what colonelkernal said up front. There is no difference between USB cables. For the purposes we are all using them for, that is an accurate statement. Wasting time discussing differences more than 120dB down, is absurd.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #709 of 1,606
At these levels, it could be anything affecting the test platform. Really. These are microvolts. You'd need a spectrum analyzer to accurately measure this.
I can promise that the results would have been the same with a an "audiophile" USB cable of the same length. My guess is the shielding acting as an antenna, and the Modi not being designed to deal with that. But this is outside my expertise at this point.
Outside mine too bud....i'm here for a cheap education on digital...have always thought there where differences....but i suspected the differences where in the pre-output electonics not the digital.

Mar 12, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #711 of 1,606
Do you know what -120dB means? That is way beneath the noise floor of CDs. It's in a different universe than music. There is no difference between USB cables. If they aren't broken, they are all the same.

Mar 12, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #712 of 1,606
Do you know what -120dB means? That is way beneath the noise floor of CDs. It's in a different universe than music. There is no difference between USB cables. If they aren't broken, they are all the same.
Totally understand the db/audible thing....but apparently the no difference thing doesn't fly...outside of audibility of course...check out the graph with the ziggy lines i hate so much.

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #713 of 1,606
Totally understand the db/audible thing....but apparently the no difference thing doesn't fly...outside of audibility of course...check out the graph with the ziggy lines i hate so much.
Ok, you can stop trolling now. All that test did is effectively show the effect of different lengths of USB cable on the Modi DAC. Without testing an "audiophile" cable of the same length, it's a moot point.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #719 of 1,606
Methinks there is something else going on here. I would need to see the schematic of the USB input of the Modi 2 since the results were not replicable across different DACs. To be quite frank I wouldn't be surprised to see a somewhat poor design in the Modi 2...this is a $100 "audiophile" DAC. They are going to shave part costs in some areas so they can afford an absolutely insanely over-specced DAC chip that has specs they can market.
It is not a matter of parts or this specific dac. It is a demonstration that there are measurable differences due to USB cables so it is best not to assume it is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back