Why do so many headphones have crappy stock cables?
Mar 13, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #46 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, I havent. But my D2000s are actually LA2000 "lite"s and I heard basically no difference between them and regular LA2000s using the same austrialian sheok cups (which I auditioned before buying my own pair). any differences would probably be due to slightly different dynamat placement, or etc.

lol, but your LA2000 "lite"s have a stock D7000 cable, not a D2000 cable...

The stock D7000 is a good cable..

I wouldn't expect you to hear a huge difference between regular LA2000's and LA2000 "lite"s

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #47 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, but your LA2000 "lite"s have a stock D7000 cable, not a D2000 cable...

The stock D7000 is a good cable..

I wouldn't expect you to hear a huge difference between regular LA2000's and LA2000 "lite"s

No they don't have a D7000 cable. They are MD2000s with austrialian sheok cups. This setup is significantly cheaper than the LA2000 lite on listed on the website and only differs in the cable

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #48 of 163
well, this is a very old chestnut, sound differences in cables! if re cabling your headphones is the same as loudspeakers, all i can say is every cable has a different sound signature, better or worse, they are different, only your ears will tell you if its the sound your looking for, everyone should try it once or twice as anything can be improved!!!!

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #49 of 163
This thread is going to get closed so quickly.

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #52 of 163
My gone but loved ESW10's sounded as good (almost as good in a couple of cases) as anything I've heard, and come with a flimsy little cable.

My D7000's (*maybe* very slightly better than my ESW10's were) come with what I consider a fine copper cable, though a bit twisty.

My HFI 780's came with a really and truly crappy cable, and are the only ones I recabled. Did they sound better when I got done? I like to think so. I did a nice DIY job with the Navships SPC wire. I got a much nicer looking cable when I was done, though microphonic as all heck due to the techflex.

Cables as sound upgrades? I fall into the "meh" category, save for the 780's, which I skeptically concede may have sounded better as a result.

So, why "lousy" stock cables? Because in most cases, they are quite likely more than good enough. - My opinion only, of course...

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #53 of 163
I don't think that many headphones have crappy cables, the manufacturers have to use a cable that satisfies many parameters but also that comes in at the right price, its always going to be a balancing act to some degree but generally speaking most of the time I feel they get it right.

In my opinion there are many routes to achieving a better sound, components and source material etc, I would always leave cables as the last thing to think about as I feel that as long as they make a good electrical connection then I don't need to worry about them.

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #54 of 163
BTW, I want to point out that I never meant to imply that recabling isn't worth the money. There are a lot of benefits to recabling. I just disagree with the notion that recabling PURELY for improvement in sound quality (with no other goals in mind) makes more sense that upgrading other components (i.e. source/amp/transducer)

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #56 of 163
Why do so many headphones have crappy aftermarket cables?

Seems like a good portion of aftermarket junk is significantly worse than stock. They'll be lucky to sound as good as stock, and I don't even want to talk about build quality.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #58 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They make "crappy" cables because cables make essentially no audible difference. People can argue all they want as far as whether cables make any difference whatsoever, but I don't see how you could possibly argue that a cable difference makes a bigger difference than an equivalent source, amp, or headphone upgrade.

I think recabling makes sense in exactly four situations:
1) the original cable breaks/fails or has durability issues
2) you simply like the physical appearance of a recable
3) you need a longer/shorter cable, or you need different connectors (i.e. XLR balanced)
4) you have 100% the best possible gear in the world. The best source, the best amp, the best speakers/headphones. You have absolutely nothing else you could possibly upgrade, but you have spare cash and you want to upgrade something. Now, at this point it might make sense to replace those radioshack cables for the purpose of improving sound quality.

That doesn't really explain why a microphonic cable is attached to something like the Klipsch which is a nice sounding IEM but the noise from the cable is appalling. Or the plastic coming apart on the Earlier Shure IEM's. (E2)

More like they just don't care; as long as you can hear sound coming from them.

nah, it's like burn-in, recabling *ALWAYS* improves SQ

That's just not true. You don't believe in burn in do you? (or cable differences)

Ian

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #59 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about the Neodymium magnets used in the driver? Much more expensive than the copper used in a cable.

And they don't want to turn off possible normal buyers by putting an extra $400 dollars onto the headphone cost for a 'premium' cable. If you want a better cable, buy one.

I don't know if magnets are any more expensive. I've bought rare earth magnets, and none of them cost that much . Copper may not be as expensive as silver or gold, but it is certainly valuable (there have been a ton of copper thefts lately, which just drives up the price more). I see your point though.

My point is that the material cost of headphones isn't very much, and that a "higher quality" cable would lower the manufacturers profit margins needlessly.

I'll never find out if recabling does anything, because I'll never pay the ridiculous cost.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #60 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That doesn't really explain why a microphonic cable is attached to something like the Klipsch which is a nice sounding IEM but the noise from the cable is appalling. Or the plastic coming apart on the Earlier Shure IEM's. (E2)

More like they just don't care; as long as you can hear sound coming from them.

It doesn't need to explain any of that. I didn't claim that cables make no difference in sound quality. I said the improvement (if any) from a recabling upgrade is less than what you'll get from an equivalent source/headphone upgrade. If your cables are ridiculously microphonic or peeling/breaking, then that falls under recabling for functional purposes (which I mentioned as legitimate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back