1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Why do so many great albums sound so bad?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by jononku, Mar 4, 2011.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
10 11
Next

Last
  1. khaos974

Quote:

I believe the final ear is that of the producer [​IMG].

2. markanini
    It's true, khaos974. For better and worse...

3. Chris J

Quote:

You would think so, but the Record Company often overrides the Producer to direct the Mastering Engineer to make the CD as loud as possible. This is done by using too much compression and squeezing the dynamic range down to approx. 6 dB. [​IMG]

30 years ago the record companies occasionally directed the mastering engineer to make the LP as loud as possible by either rollong off the bas a bit, turning the midrange up a bit at approx. 2-3 kHz and compressing the sound a bit or a combination of all three.
    Some old vinyl actually sounds like crap bacause of this, typically pop and rock records got this treatment.
    [​IMG]

4. Linkin
    Now after reading and hearing about the loudness war and dynamic range compression, I hate some of my former favourite music and want better versions. :frowning2:

5. ostewart
    can anyone confirm what i think?

That hawthorne heights - if only you were lonely cd sounds really good, and also silverstein's older cd's like discovering the waterfront and when broken is easily fixed also sound good, good as in well recorded. Thanks

6. Chris J

Quote:

I totally agree!
    Disgusting, appalling, sickening, isn't it!
    [​IMG]

7. Linkin

Quote:

Agreed. Though now I'm on a quest to find some good rips... or if all else fails, buy some original press CD's

8. Chris J

Quote:

Every now and then I play an older CD with lots of dynamic range, and I am often surprised at how much higher I have to turn the volume up.
    Today I was listening to Roxy Music: Avalon (it was mastered in HDCD), man did I have to crank the volume up to get a reasonable listening level!
    Very cool.
    [​IMG]

9. markanini
    Maybe it's just a generalization but when I hear a distinctive attack from toms it's a well mastered record. Doesn't seem to survive extreme dynamic limiting.

10. ammisco

Quote:

+1

11. Somnambulist
    I've said this a few times but what I do now is get the CD but if I know there's a vinyl version, wait for the inevitable FLAC rip to appear online and keep that in my digital library instead. Also, it's generally good advice to avoid any 'remastered' CDs of older albums as they are pretty much always way worse than the originals. A good place to 'find the best version' is Steve Hoffman's forum, which is something of a haven for people discussing that kind of stuff. Sadly newer stuff doesn't tend to get a vinyl (along with sep. vinyl master) very often. 

12. Captain Magenta
    Its the distorted bass on many modern albums that I hate and don't understand why they do this.  If you didn't know any better you'd think it was your headphones/speakers distorting.  It ruins the listening experience for me.

13. Chris J

I have a few modern CDs with these nasty bursts of distortion on peaks.
    Irritating[​IMG]

14. Devarika Woulf

Quote:

I listened to this last night and I actually liked it. It's great compared to Static Age and Earth A.D.'s production. 

Quote:

Would that be "12 Hits From Hell"? If so, then I agree.

15. Nocturnal310
    if all modern albums came without loudness equalization and a higher dynamic range then most people with sh!tty logitech speakers and cheap earbuds wouldnt enjoy the music since lower sound level sounds woulnt be heard effectively.

so sound engineers boost up every instrument.

that fade in which grows from a lower sound level to higher can only be enjoyed on good sound gear.

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
10 11
Next

Last