Why do ppl buy OEM ipod headphones?!
Dec 16, 2007 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

wangerin

100+ Head-Fier
I have a set of new unused ipod oem earphones and figured I would dump them on craigslist.

Ad:
oem ipod headphones

Ive gotten 6 emails in the past 3hrs with interested buyers.

Are they a fashion statement? if not... WHY!?@

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #4 of 41
Hey, 80% of people who have MP3 players use them, they must be pretty good!
wink.gif

Ignorance it is.

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 41
In my experience people are happy with them as they've not tried anything else, so when they fail they don't really bother looking at similar priced items and just go for straight replacements.

I've tried on numerous occasions to try and turn people to other alternatives, price always seem to be an issue (lots of people like the sound of my setups, however, they only ever have a brief listen and then dismiss the option) and many people just like to be seen with White IEMs or whatnot - I think a number of people like to be seen with them as if their saying; Hey, I have an iPod - Possibly.

Dec 16, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 41
I would just say: "fashion victims" ^^

And, me too, I asume using iPod buds with my Musicphone, just for the design...

Dec 16, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #8 of 41
They probably like their showoff factor, or they don't know better.
Oh well!

Dec 16, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #10 of 41
as much as we're all serious about quality audio here, it's also ignorance on our part to assume that people should always want to have to care for getting better headphones than their oem ipods, as if because we do everyone else in the universe should care. it's their choice, leave them be as it is not going to benefit us any more to try to belittle people who would rather settle with ipod earbuds.

this is just imo.

Dec 16, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #11 of 41
In public, I'd much rather wear ibuds than IEM's. The mind can't process being at a concert and being at a bus stop at the same time. get what I mean?
Everyone here says they're crap but it's not like they actually sound really dumpy with static and everything.

Dec 16, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #12 of 41
Apple branded iBuds go for $30. For that price they're pretty awful.

Compared to your average pre-iPod stock headphones though they were actually pretty good. Most people have zero exposure to our kind, on their internal radar the stock iBud really does honestly sound great. It's also at a pricepoint where most people don't bother doing any serious research. Apple also has a reputation for great products and most people have zero reason to question if this would carry over to their accessories.

All of the above is excluding the segment for which the iPod is as much a fashion statement as a music player. For that crowd anything but iBuds is a faux pas.

For the average person they'd give as much though to selecting a headphone as we would an Iron.

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #13 of 41
Nowadays I usually tell users of higher-end portable media players to either go with the JVC HA-FX66 series (if you're spending under US$50) or the Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio (if you're spending under US$100) if you really want to hear the music from the player with much better sound quality. The original iPod earbuds are woefully lacking in both bass and treble if you plug it directly into your iPod.

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #14 of 41
Especially in my part of the US, people have a very "don't rock the boat" mentality. They would rather use what they know than try something new. It's a lot safer that way, even if they have to pay $30.

Especially if they were burned by a dirt-cheap pair of phones and they didn't sound as good as the buds that come with their ipod.

It's just what I heard as a salesman at an electronic store from customers. Hey, I did my best to change the mind. The FX-33/66 look like a STEAL in comparison.

Nylan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back