Why do people use Windows?
Oct 13, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #271 of 283
Every operating system has flaws and strengths. Personally I like Windows and Linux at the same time but both for different uses.

I primarily use Windows because I don't want to spend the time needed to get all my games working in Linux. Sure it's possible and I'm sure works very well but I don't want to spend the time setting up each game. This, however, is one of the only reasons I still use Windows. It just happens to be a major factor. Other users that don't game should be jumping for joy at the chance to use Linux.

I despise the fact that Windows has no idea how to manage a filesystem and is in need of defragmenting depending on amount of file access and changes. I also don't like the need to download and install drivers for absolutely everything.

Linux has most drivers built-in which can be a major advantage. Updating software on Windows means downloading and installing dozens of programs and drivers manually. In Linux, it's handled by a package manager or the command prompt which takes only minutes to do. A single command or a few mouse clicks is all that's needed to update everything.

Then there's the fact that I'm constantly tweaking and modifying my system and the one that breaks first is normally Linux. But then again I'm usually on the bleeding edge in terms of the distribution so there's going to be issues no matter what.

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #272 of 283
Windows 7 is a remarkable upgrade - try it
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #273 of 283
I find that--with the exception of graphic art professionals I know--the mac-users I know simply ignore errors and problems with their systems for as long as they can. They feel embarrassed that *they're* the mess-ups who have to take their computers to the "Mac Experts" at the store at the mall that's right next to the high-end lingerie shop.

You can tell that the regional car manufacturers and investment bankers stop by the Mac Store all the time to shop for servers--pick their SigOths up some garters while they're at it.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #275 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also don't like the need to download and install drivers for absolutely everything.

Plug and play . . . a lot of things actually work out of box. Actually almost everything worked out of box for me. I still updated it for obvious reasons, but if you need to get a base system off the ground fast it's not nearly that large of an issue anymore.

That's been my overall experience with both Windows 7 and Vista.
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #276 of 283
To be fair, quite a few programs (good ones at least) offer their own auto-update or update check thingy, and you don't always have to update your programs all the time, unless you are hellbent on being on the cutting edge (in which case you would be very saddened about slow hardware adaptation on the linux side)

Oct 14, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #277 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every operating system has flaws and strengths. Personally I like Windows and Linux at the same time but both for different uses.

I primarily use Windows because I don't want to spend the time needed to get all my games working in Linux. Sure it's possible and I'm sure works very well but I don't want to spend the time setting up each game. This, however, is one of the only reasons I still use Windows. It just happens to be a major factor. Other users that don't game should be jumping for joy at the chance to use Linux.

I despise the fact that Windows has no idea how to manage a filesystem and is in need of defragmenting depending on amount of file access and changes. I also don't like the need to download and install drivers for absolutely everything.

Linux has most drivers built-in which can be a major advantage. Updating software on Windows means downloading and installing dozens of programs and drivers manually. In Linux, it's handled by a package manager or the command prompt which takes only minutes to do. A single command or a few mouse clicks is all that's needed to update everything.

Then there's the fact that I'm constantly tweaking and modifying my system and the one that breaks first is normally Linux. But then again I'm usually on the bleeding edge in terms of the distribution so there's going to be issues no matter what.

I don't mean to sound rude, but what was the last version of Windows you used, 98? I haven't had to manually download a driver (except at initial installation of XP for my Network drivers) in years. Windows Update handles the rest. It was decent on XP and is stunning on Vista/7. I plug in a new device, it goes online and gets it for me. And any filesystem is subject to fragmentation; Windows just admits it and provides utilities to fix it. Besides, Vista/7 defrag in the background so you never need to manually defrag anything.

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #278 of 283
I do realize that most human interface peripherals don't need drivers but when it comes to certain cameras, bluetooth adapters, network cards, chipsets, it's necessary. Though in linux you certainly do need to download drivers too. It's just not quite as much of a pain as with windows.

I have been using XP for many years and am waiting for Windows 7. I'm sure I'll like it.

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #279 of 283
Quote:

Though in linux you certainly do need to download drivers too. It's just not quite as much of a pain as with windows.

Because recompiling a kernel is easier than running an EXE? Quote:

I have been using XP for many years

So you're comparing an 8-year-old version of Windows to the latest Linux in terms of modern hardware support. Real fair comparison.

Oct 15, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #281 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because recompiling a kernel is easier than running an EXE?

I doubt compiling from source would be easier, but, I imagine most just upgrade using the binary kernel made available by their distro... I know I do.

Oct 15, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #282 of 283
I feel sorry for Linux users that get stuck in dependency hell. I tried an OpenSUSE Live distro the other day and had to enable and add links to repositories to the point I about pulled my hair out.

Please tell me it's fixed with a full install . . . please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back