Why do people use Windows?
Oct 9, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #256 of 283

bergman2

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 1, 2007
Posts
701
Likes
10
ditto ... i've never had a problem with nvidia drivers through all of the various cards & OS's i've been through ... and that's going from geforce 4 --> gtx285 and win 98 -->7rc1
 
Oct 9, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #257 of 283

K3cT

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 1, 2007
Posts
2,463
Likes
33
I cannot live without CAD, MatLAB, Microsoft Office and Foobar.
frown.gif
 
Oct 10, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #259 of 283

RagingForces

Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Posts
60
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by RicHSAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll take Nvidia's drivers over ATI's anyday. Game profiles + proper game support at release.


I am quite the Nvidia fan, and am running a GTX280 at the moment. I would have to disagree with this post however. ATI's drivers from the 4800 series and especially this new 5800 series are bedrock solid. There is no disputing ATI's ability to put out a solid driver release.

If we're talking pre 4800 series graphics cards, then yes it was quite obvious Nvidia had the ability to hand ATI their arse on a silver platter when it came time to put out unified drivers, though to say ATI is still behind is lacking modern experience.
 
Oct 10, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #260 of 283

ChopTart

New Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Posts
25
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot live without CAD, MatLAB, Microsoft Office and Foobar.
frown.gif



+1

Those programs are huge for me as well.

Windows 7 has been wonderful so far, IMO.
 
Oct 10, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #261 of 283

MoSXS

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 25, 2004
Posts
192
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by RagingForces /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am quite the Nvidia fan, and am running a GTX280 at the moment. I would have to disagree with this post however. ATI's drivers from the 4800 series and especially this new 5800 series are bedrock solid. There is no disputing ATI's ability to put out a solid driver release.


I've tried a dozen or so ATI cards over the last 10 years and I've never had a good experience with their drivers. I've heard it over and over again that people proclaim that ATI finally fixed their driver releases and they're finally good. But I've never been able to experience that. Everything from disappearing textures in games to no roads in RenderWare based GTA games.

I've been using nvidia cards since almost the beginning. I had an original RivaTNT and the original Windows 98. I remember their very first "Detonator" driver release. Every official release from nvidia (not leaked betas) has been rock solid. Even the GeForce 8 in my PC and the 9400M in my MacBook both have more solid drivers than any ATI card I've ever used.

ATI/AMD will basically have to walk on water before I can believe they have finally released a good driver for their GPUs.
 
Oct 12, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #263 of 283

ChopTart

New Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Posts
25
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoSXS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried a dozen or so ATI cards over the last 10 years and I've never had a good experience with their drivers. I've heard it over and over again that people proclaim that ATI finally fixed their driver releases and they're finally good. But I've never been able to experience that. Everything from disappearing textures in games to no roads in RenderWare based GTA games.

I've been using nvidia cards since almost the beginning. I had an original RivaTNT and the original Windows 98. I remember their very first "Detonator" driver release. Every official release from nvidia (not leaked betas) has been rock solid. Even the GeForce 8 in my PC and the 9400M in my MacBook both have more solid drivers than any ATI card I've ever used.

ATI/AMD will basically have to walk on water before I can believe they have finally released a good driver for their GPUs.



I've been using ATI since the 9600 radeons, and I haven't really had a hitch. I must admit the interface was god-awful back then, but their new Catalyst-Control-Center is pretty nice. I always keep it open next to my Xonar Control Center for easy tweaking
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Oct 12, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #264 of 283

RicHSAD

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 29, 2009
Posts
436
Likes
148
Quote:

Originally Posted by RagingForces /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am quite the Nvidia fan, and am running a GTX280 at the moment. I would have to disagree with this post however. ATI's drivers from the 4800 series and especially this new 5800 series are bedrock solid. There is no disputing ATI's ability to put out a solid driver release.

If we're talking pre 4800 series graphics cards, then yes it was quite obvious Nvidia had the ability to hand ATI their arse on a silver platter when it came time to put out unified drivers, though to say ATI is still behind is lacking modern experience.



I have a 4870. ATI's drivers are inferior to Nvidia's. First, they don't support proper game profiles. Second, half of the new games don't work properly and you have to rename the exe to something else to get optimal performance. Their driver interface has always been terrible too. The worst is that actually "updated" the interface recently and only made it worse than it was. They also lack physx support, but this isn't exactly their fault. This is really a shame because aside from these issues, their drivers are pretty good and the hardware is great.

Unless Nvidia really drops the ball with their next card, I am definitely not getting an ATI card next.
 
Oct 12, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #265 of 283

gkl

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Posts
199
Likes
14
Location
Germany
Quote:

Originally Posted by RicHSAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Second, half of the new games don't work properly and you have to rename the exe to something else to get optimal performance.


Could you please give some examples?
 
Oct 12, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #268 of 283

RicHSAD

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 29, 2009
Posts
436
Likes
148
Quote:

Originally Posted by gkl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you please give some examples?


Shift supposedly works better when you rename the exe to grid.exe. When Bioshock was released, ATI users has to rename the exe to UT3.exe to get AA to work. There are other examples, but I can't be bothered to remember.
 
Oct 13, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #270 of 283

MikoLayer

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Posts
1,279
Likes
12
While ATI's .net based UI is a bit slower to load, I think it's a bit moot point since I would be using a third party tool (ATT, AT, powerstrip, rivatuner, etc) to tweak the settings that can't be configured in-game anyway.

Personally, I have not had major issues with either NV (in my secondary box) or ATi (main box) cards (maybe clean driver installs with driver sweeper helps?) other than enforcing high enough refresh rate on my CRTs - a problem that has existed for both camps, but I suppose statistics like these exist for a reason.
I guess there is no need to go over the whole Batman AA/TWIMBP fiasco eidos and NV are getting battered about.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top