Why do people like to listen to different music?
Nov 23, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 55
Mood, situation, audio system, ...

Fast rhythmic music when your in a great mood and want to rock around. Down tempo music when you want to sit back and relax. There are also the fact that some audio systems handle music differently. Some may shine on acoustic music, others on female voice, and even others on hard rock music.

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 55
I've often wondered that myself - in fact, quite often. So the other day I decided to thin out my music collection quite a bit. What remains is a nice Frankie Yankovic 'Polka Classics' LP (so appropriately named), plus my 3 all time favorite 45's ('Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head', 'Danny Boy' and 'Sea of Love') all of which I'll need to replace soon considering the wear they're now getting, and finally (the best of the best), a homemade cassette recording of my Grandma's metronome which reminds me of the good ole days. Click clock click clock click clock...

I'm now enjoying my system more than ever. People who listen to different music are being much too fussy. It's like shoes. Why do you need more than one recording? I've got 5 and that keeps me insanely busy!

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #5 of 55
Variety.

Appreciation of overall excellence - performance & production.

Personal history - I still play music linked to my influential teenage and early twenties years (and even follow some of the artists still).

Exploration. Recently listened to a whole heap of varieties of punk - confirmed it's still not my 'cup of tea'.

Release format - some stuff I only have on vinyl and have never found released on CD etc.

Timing - we lose an artist we appreciate, particularly when it's an unexpected death, and play more of their tracks.

Location/Situation - quiet orchestral not appreciable when sitting on ride on mower
wink_face.gif

Plus what krmathis said about systems/synergy.

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 55
I can't believe this thread is getting serious answers! It's like asking why people like different art? Different food? Different clothes? Different cites, countries, cultures, books, careers, TV shows, sports? The list is endless.

Not everyone who likes to travel enjoys going to different places and expolring different things each time, but most do. Not everyone who likes sports enjoys participating in or attending different types of sporting events, but most do. If you're 'into' music then chances are you will naturally explore different genres; why would you limit yourself?

Or is the question: why do different people like to listen to different genres of music? In other words, why do some people prefer classical and jazz while other prefer jazz and blues, while others prefer blues and rock while others prefer rock and punk, etc? But, in essence, the answer is still painfully obvious - because we all have different tastes. A lot of that is influenced by a person's age, gender, cultural identity, family background, and other personal experiences in life that have helped to shape him/her, but beyond that, it's mostly a function of their own personalities. Some like to play it safe, while others like to explore; some have a passing interest, while others are much more passionate about music - just like art, food, clothes, travel, reading, sports, etc.

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #7 of 55
I like to listen to the same music.

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 55
I thougth the OP wanted to raise discussion and think about how people's preferences work in the brain. I don't have the answers, I'm just glad there is variety. It must have something to do with genes.

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #9 of 55
I mostly 'blame' my parents for every second of music listening. I think your past defines what you decide to listen to at any given time. I am now exploring music I never knew I knew, and that's definitely because of my past. Whatever your social environment listens to, you tend to pick up.

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do people like to listen to different music?

confused.gif

There's more than one music??????
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

You must be kidding.

Next thing you're going to tell me there's more than one food too.....

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe this thread is getting serious answers! It's like asking why people like different art? Different food? Different clothes? Different cites, countries, cultures, books, careers, TV shows, sports? The list is endless.

Luck maybe?
Or just the fact that most Head-Fi'ers sleep at this time of the day, and hence have not been able to post their answers yet.
beerchug.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 55
Do Re Me Fa So La Ti Ta

When it comes down to it, all music uses the same seven notes. How those notes are composed, arranged and played are what makes up different genres of music. For some people (like myself), the genre doesn't matter. Music is music and we just want to take it all in.

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

Same here and I find there are too many of these kind of threads right now...

Think I am going to start the "WHAT IS THE BEST MUSIC GENRE?" poll now
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 55
Quote:

I've often wondered that myself - in fact, quite often. So the other day I decided to thin out my music collection quite a bit. What remains is a nice Frankie Yankovic 'Polka Classics' LP (so appropriately named), plus my 3 all time favorite 45's ('Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head', 'Danny Boy' and 'Sea of Love') all of which I'll need to replace soon considering the wear they're now getting, and finally (the best of the best), a homemade cassette recording of my Grandma's metronome which reminds me of the good ole days. Click clock click clock click clock...

I'm now enjoying my system more than ever. People who listen to different music are being much too fussy. It's like shoes. Why do you need more than one recording? I've got 5 and that keeps me insanely busy!

biglaugh1.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #15 of 55
I have spent many sleepless nights contemplating this most serious of serious topics. I have read countless books on this subject. Many times I have stood on the roof of my car with a megaphone asking: "Why do people like to listen to different musuc?" Often I do this at 3 in the morning after a few beers. So far the response has varied from "F#$& off!" to "I dunno why the f$(* don't you put a sock in it?" to "You ask that f$*&ing question one more time and I'll f#(#ing kill you!" I continue to pursue these leads as I struggle with this ultimate of ultimate questions: "Why do people like to listen to different music?" If I ever uncover the answer, I'll report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back