Why do people like to listen to different music?
Nov 23, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here and I find there are too many of these kind of threads right now...

Think I am going to start the "WHAT IS THE BEST MUSIC GENRE?" poll now
wink.gif

Yeah, there sure have been a lot of these more or less pointless UPPERCASE threads lately.
How about "WHO IS THE BEST MUSIC ARTIST?"

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #17 of 55
well, one thing is for certain, the answeres so far were great
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about "WHO IS THE BEST MUSIC ARTIST?"

Make sure you create a poll and list only five artists
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #19 of 55
i think it part of why ppl listen to different genres of music depend on the culture and generation they come from. although is this isnt true for everyone, and i know many of u listen to much older stuff like classical, but i believe it has part of the explanation behind it.

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe this thread is getting serious answers! It's like asking why people like different art? Different food? Different clothes? Different cites, countries, cultures, books, careers, TV shows, sports? The list is endless.

Not everyone who likes to travel enjoys going to different places and expolring different things each time, but most do. Not everyone who likes sports enjoys participating in or attending different types of sporting events, but most do. If you're 'into' music then chances are you will naturally explore different genres; why would you limit yourself?

Or is the question: why do different people like to listen to different genres of music? In other words, why do some people prefer classical and jazz while other prefer jazz and blues, while others prefer blues and rock while others prefer rock and punk, etc? But, in essence, the answer is still painfully obvious - because we all have different tastes. A lot of that is influenced by a person's age, gender, cultural identity, family background, and other personal experiences in life that have helped to shape him/her, but beyond that, it's mostly a function of their own personalities. Some like to play it safe, while others like to explore; some have a passing interest, while others are much more passionate about music - just like art, food, clothes, travel, reading, sports, etc.

Life is a drab, and we all know it. That's why we like to try a variety of things, if the cost is not too dear. So, given a chance, everyone will want to try on different things. Often, people try on different things because the media ask us to.

Yes, that's a nonsensical generic answer, but honestly, there are too many different reasons as to why people prefer different things. Is it a hate of monotonous, an expression of individuality or a anti-establishment sentiment? It really depends.

What I do know is that music is widely accessible to most people, thanks to the radio (which feeds on variety), the internet and the numerous recording studios. It has one of the least opportunity cost as compared to the other examples you gave, in terms of availability and the ease of use/appreciation. Just think about how much time you needed to listen to try a piece of music, as compared to the time needed to learn about a sports before appreciating it, or the amount of time needed to read a book to appreciate the contents of it. That would give a hint as to why people appreciate different music.

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do Re Me Fa So La Ti Ta

When it comes down to it, all music uses the same seven notes.

Not at all true. First, that only represents a major scale. The typical western chromatic scale has 12 notes, not seven.

More importantly, though, the whole world doesn't operate in 50 cent increments, like the west does. Nonwestern scales are used throughout the world, notably in India. Also, western composers have written in "microtonal" scales, which have more than 12 notes.

I think the original question, though crude, is valid. I frequently crave various food: Mexican food, Thai food, Turkish food, etc. On the whole, however, I don't enjoy popular music from any of these countries in the way I enjoy my own native music. I appreciate Turkish music on an intellectual level, but certainly nowhere near the level Turkish people do.

In fact, I think the vast majority of the music I listen to either originated in the West, or from a western musical tradition. So, I guess my question is "Why don't we like different music?"

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #23 of 55
"We like both kinds - country and western!" Name that movie! Too easy, I know...

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #25 of 55
Different music needs love too, quite good actually.

"Uh Bob, we have a little problem."

Reference to the glue on the gas pedal.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"We like both kinds - country and western!" Name that movie! Too easy, I know...

bob's country bunker... aretha franklin... ray charles... james brown... cab calloway... starring steven spielberg and frank oz... and those guys in suits and shades...

i'll answer with another quote. fans of above ought to give it a try if their musical range of appreciation is broader than, um, the woman's you quoted. this movie's finnish, and the quote is beautifully on topic.

Quote:

"do you have... 'rock and roll'?"

hint:
those people like to PLAY different music. do they ever. they also have different hairstyles and shoes, but that's beside the point here. actually, they all have the same hairstyle and shoes. just different from everybody else.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #27 of 55
Different preferences.
Probably dependent on what we are used to listen to, and what we were exposed to when we grew up..

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Different preferences.
Probably dependent on what we are used to listen to, and what we were exposed to when we grew up..

I will most definitely second that one.

This past year, I went through my Dad's old CDs and found out I had liked nearly a thousand songs that I had thought I hadn't listened to before. When I was a kid, our family was always in the car a lot, and my Dad played a ton of different types of music. I found out I had liked a lot of music I never even knew I liked- all the songs sounded so familiar... and then I realized it was the childhood programming.
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

Different preferences.

I guess I must be an exception to that rule. I was exposed to a lot of pop tunes and classical yet I hardly listen to them.
I appreciate them but hardly listen to them.

I listen to everything really, mainstream and obscure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back