Why do people like Grados so much?
Oct 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #166 of 196

That said, the main reason why pretty much all retail audiophile stores push Grado hard is because Grado gives incredibly huge margin for retailers. It's incomparable to other brands, thus most of stores only carry Grado headphones in general. This also means, YOU, the customer, get far less for what you pay too.

Alll retailers get around 30 -35%. How do think Razoraudio can give 20% discount with almost all headphones they sell without making a profit? Does it surprise you? Grado has an strict policy as well as sennheiser, shure and others well known brands.

No, I am absolutely not surprised at all. Maybe you should reread my post again.

And no, you have no idea how ridiculous Grado is since you are relatively new to this forum, but people from early 2000 know all kinds of the drama that made this forum too exciting. :p

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #168 of 196
  I've always seen Grado as a 'music fan's headphone', rather than a 'heaphone fan's heaphone' if that makes any sense. Technically a bit primitive, build/ergonomics are questionable, but, christ, they make music come alive
smile.gif

thiiisss

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #169 of 196
I see us sometimes veering off topic in regards to grados comfort level on the ear. Sure, comfort is important to a degree.

I found a thread from 2011 stating the same observations i have had with the sr125i's:

my concerns: they do not make me feel like I am in the middle of the sound, like the music is being projected to me, around me. 

Some headfiers have modified their grados by punching holes in the pads or punching holes in the felt of the driver basket.

Still, i believe what the headphones need is an amplifier because of it's low impendance. There is just no plugging these straight into a music player without an amp. Am i correct in this assumption?

Could this be why i am not hearing all the parts that i can pick up using sennheiser hd477 ? ? ?

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #170 of 196
They don't really need an amp IMHO. Depends on the model, I guess. And I have some 414 pads, one set with a hole punched in them, and one without..  I don't hear a sound difference between the two, I'm not personally too sure why that "mod" has so much hype around it.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #171 of 196
No amp will make a night a day difference... It can help slightly, but for the majority of headphones I would only say somewhere around 0-15% increase in audio quality (depending in headphone, price range, synergy, etc... plethora of variables, but I feel 15% to be generous). Obviously opinions will vary, but sometimes (often?) amplification can get blown it of proportion around here (pun intended :tongue:). Does it help? Yes... But it's marginal, not life changing.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #172 of 196
  I see us sometimes veering off topic in regards to grados comfort level on the ear. Sure, comfort is important to a degree.

I found a thread from 2011 stating the same observations i have had with the sr125i's:

my concerns: they do not make me feel like I am in the middle of the sound, like the music is being projected to me, around me. 

Some headfiers have modified their grados by punching holes in the pads or punching holes in the felt of the driver basket.

Still, i believe what the headphones need is an amplifier because of it's low impendance. There is just no plugging these straight into a music player without an amp. Am i correct in this assumption?

Could this be why i am not hearing all the parts that i can pick up using sennheiser hd477 ? ? ?

dude nooo. not at all. low impedance means that they can be driven by ANYTHING. in fact, while amping them does fine tune them, an amp is not necessary at all. you have it backgrounds. completely 

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #173 of 196
Some amps colour the sound, others will not. They also have differences in output impedance, which will change the sound signature ever so slightly.

There is some quote from John Grado about his headphones never needing an amp.. Can't seem to find it.

I've come to this thread a bit late - is this a huge Grado-hate thread? (lol)

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #174 of 196
  My apologies, I don't know anything about those stories you mention. Tell us at least to have an idea.

Too many to mention. Most notable ones are like Headroom vs Grado due to price issue and headphone measurements dispute (when Tyll was still the owner of Headroom) and some companies rejected to get stock despite customers already paid, '4 cents difference', etc etc. Search the forum with some time, and you can find a lot of gems during early days.

I am almost glad Grado finally lost its favor among people these days. There are far better companies deserve far more attention than such a selfish company. No offense, and being selfish/stubborn works on businesses to certain extent, but not far.

That said, John Grado and his family really do not interest in expanding their business anyway, and they do not mind losing the favor in the first place as well.

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #175 of 196
The LD1+ does a great job of adding coloration and more ummph to the grado/magnum sound. It just increases warmth/mids/punctuality of bass. You don't NEED an amp....

but i haven't listened to my magnums or my grados when i had em without my amp. if i didn't have my amp....i missed it. it just adds a subtle awesomeness to em. It's not placebo either. It's a visible (hearable?) difference. 

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #176 of 196
  They don't really need an amp IMHO. Depends on the model, I guess. And I have some 414 pads, one set with a hole punched in them, and one without..  I don't hear a sound difference between the two, I'm not personally too sure why that "mod" has so much hype around it.

Actually, I wasn't such a fan of doing this either.  However, I recently read where Grado actually opens up some of the holes in their upper models. Also, I'm usually a fan of better bass, not necessarily more bass.  I think that more than one hole would have to be opened (e.g. 3) to get a better effect of the mod.
  Some amps colour the sound, others will not. They also have differences in output impedance, which will change the sound signature ever so slightly.

There is some quote from John Grado about his headphones never needing an amp.. Can't seem to find it.

I've come to this thread a bit late - is this a huge Grado-hate thread? (lol)

I'm sort of beginning to see a trend. After all, this is the "Why do People LIKE Grados so Much" thread, and not the "Why do People HATE Grados so Much" - I guess that thread might not exist. 
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #178 of 196

thiiisss

I've always seen Grado as a 'music fan's headphone', rather than a 'heaphone fan's heaphone' if that makes any sense. Technically a bit primitive, build/ergonomics are questionable, but, christ, they make music come alive
smile.gif

Wow how many posts do I have? Anyway I find this post Insulting to others who do not use Grados.

Flame On?
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #179 of 196

Wow how many posts do I have? Anyway I find this post Insulting to others who do not use Grados.

Flame On?
tongue_smile.gif

Hey, no offence meant to anyone ... just a fairly tongue-in-cheek observation that maybe people who like Grado on this forum don't seem too concerned with how technically 'good' (or otherwise) they might be ... they just love the way they make music sound ...

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #180 of 196

beautiful! love the headphone stand too. where'd you get it? i've been meaning to get one. currently my magnums just hang on a lamp on my desk. what wood are those cups? what's inside of em? (driver...what type of grado..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back