Why do people like Grados so much?
May 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 196

Alghazanth

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm a huge metalhead, and I started my audiophile career with the Denon D2000s. I've always been looking for my perfect headphones (already done) and I've seen Grados recommended for metal specifically more times than I can count. Every time I see someone who listens to metal, I go to their profile, and sure enough, they own Grados. I adore Metal, everything from Black, Death, Prog, Symphonic, etc and I cannot grasp the popularity of Grados. I finally bought a pair of SR225i's to see what all the fuss was about, and here were the results.

Comfort: Abysmal. How anyone can wear these for hours is beyond my comprehension. My ears were hurting within 2 minutes.

Sound: Yes, they're upfront and fast with decent impact. Yes, they're energetic. But so are plenty of other headphones (hint: Denons, beyers, audiotechnicas, ultrasones). I wasn't about to compare them to Denon D7000s so I pulled out the trusty old 2000s and did some A/B. Not for a second did I prefer the sound of the Grados. They're not much faster, if at all, they don't have more energy, they don't have as much impact etc. Nothing special really. I could have done further testing, but I was worried my ears would start bleeding.

Unbelievably uncomfortable and not better for metal than many other also-energetic cans. So why are these so often praised, especially for metal? I am really curious.

Thanks

May 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 196
I love my grado's because they are fun. I also have a pair of d5000's and I find myself picking up my pair of sr-225i's to listen to almost all rock. That said if I want to listen to something with a little more sub bass or something that has a soundstage I will throw on my d5000's. Simply put grado's aren't for everyone. Even though they are typically recommended for metal doesn't mean they are the perfect can for your ears.

As far as comfort goes if you wash out the pads with some soap it really helps. You could also pick up a jmoney leather headband to help out with comfort.

May 24, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 196
I've always thought grados sounded best with simpler genres of music, like acoustic for example due to their intimate soundstage and somewhat strident treble to my ears. I think they sound congested with metal and have always wondered this myself. Put your flame suit on though, this is grado country lol.

May 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 196

Quote:
I'm a huge metalhead, and I started my audiophile career with the Denon D2000s. I've always been looking for my perfect headphones (already done) and I've seen Grados recommended for metal specifically more times than I can count. Every time I see someone who listens to metal, I go to their profile, and sure enough, they own Grados. I adore Metal, everything from Black, Death, Prog, Symphonic, etc and I cannot grasp the popularity of Grados. I finally bought a pair of SR225i's to see what all the fuss was about, and here were the results.

Comfort: Abysmal. How anyone can wear these for hours is beyond my comprehension. My ears were hurting within 2 minutes.

Sound: Yes, they're upfront and fast with decent impact. Yes, they're energetic. But so are plenty of other headphones (hint: Denons, beyers, audiotechnicas, ultrasones). I wasn't about to compare them to Denon D7000s so I pulled out the trusty old 2000s and did some A/B. Not for a second did I prefer the sound of the Grados. They're not much faster, if at all, they don't have more energy, they don't have as much impact etc. Nothing special really. I could have done further testing, but I was worried my ears would start bleeding.

Unbelievably uncomfortable and not better for metal than many other also-energetic cans. So why are these so often praised, especially for metal? I am really curious.

Thanks

i have to agree with you i have no idea. they are also extremely bright.

May 24, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 196
You either love 'em or you don't. No sense in analyzing it. 

May 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 196
It's because most heavy metal, new-comers often buy the SR-60 as their first headphone due to the price appeal, and since they're are very good quality for their price, they get hyped a lot amongst the new-comers.

That and opinions.

May 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 196

Quote:
i have to agree with you i have no idea. they are also extremely bright.

Extremely bright is even an understatement. I have to listen to my SR80's at a low volume because my ears get fatigued long before the headphones themselves become uncomfortable.

May 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 196
Might I suggest ending this thread? A thread simply made for bashing is a thread not worth making. If the OP had a legitimate question that merited an answer, I might understand, but this.... this is simply pointless.

May 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 196
It's like a religion.  Kind of like how PS3 or 360 fanboys will defend their console to the death.

Of course I don't have a grado yet and am very interested in acquiring one in due time. :p

May 24, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 196
Yeah, this thread is going to a bad place fast.

May 24, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #13 of 196

Quote:
Yeah, this thread is going to a bad place fast.

Precisely. I think its time we talk 'bout something else. 
bigsmile_face.gif

May 24, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 196
I have the Grados 69 headphone and it is a fantastic headphone man! I love to plug it into my ipod and watch Youtube videos and stuff. Personally I wouldn't pay for  the more expensive Grados but the 69 model should be lying around in every household in America! Great all around listening.

May 24, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 196
After hearing the HF-2, I think lumping all Grados together is a mistake.  I avoided them for a long time for the SQ that has already been described in this thread: "bright."  I've also read several impressions of "energetic treble" which, to me, sounds like aural hell.  After reading some descriptions of the HF-2's more "balanced" presentation, I had to give them a go.  The SQ, while a touch forward, was absolutely beautiful.  Highs were far from harsh, the mids were a touch warm, and the bass was stunning for an open headphone.  If I could avoid disturbing the lady I would repurchase them in a heartbeat.  Comfortability wise they definitely weren't spectacular as wearing them circum-aurally pressed the drivers against my ears and I had to wear them in a slightly less than ideal supra-aural configuration, but after I found functional positioning they were fine.

Further evidence that I'll never write off a manufacturer based on my impressions of other headphones in their line is my experience with Ultrasones.  I owned the PRO-900 and the ALO-modded HFI-780 and, while I've heard worse, was extremely turned off by their treble performance and underwhelmed by everything else they did. (recessed mids, unfocused bass)  The Edition 8, however, has been a much different experience.  Pleasantly smooth yet extended and present treble coupled with a mid-centric presentation that conveys an incredible sense of realism and the most well-controlled bass presentation I've ever heard. (both pronounced and articulate)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back