Why do people have to be that inconsiderate in the theatre (rant)
Apr 5, 2004 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

mkyy

100+ Head-Fier
[rant]

Have it happened to you when you're in the theatre, and the one sitting behind you just keep kicking at the back of your seat? I was watching hell boy tonight, and a guy, on and off resting his leg on the back of the seat next to me, shuffling his feet as if there's a vibrator inside. His gf, I presume, keep "eeeewl"-ing every 5 sec for a good 10 min. You can close your eyes by all means!! I don't need or want to know that you think the scene is disgusting you. I don't want to tell her to shut up cause it would be embarassing for them and equally disturbing for others who is enjoying the show.

I don't mind people eating popcorn in the theatre, as long as you shut your mouth when you chew.

I pay good money to go to the theatre to enjoy my time, not getting p!ssed. Why do people have to be that inconsiderate?

So how do you deal with that?

[/rant]

sorry for the rant.

Apr 5, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 33
i've only done it once but there was a time that i just couldn't take it anymore so i turned around, looked the offenders in the eye and told them to knock it off or i'd beat the crap out of them after the movie.

they stopped...

i've also sat through my share of annoyances though. it's not fun.
frown.gif

edit: oh yeah, there's probably neighborhoods where taking the above action would be a bad idea. but i was pissed.

Apr 5, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 33
oh yeah that happened tp me a couple times. the stupid boy behind me kept kicking my chair and rocking it to the point where i was about to beat the crap outta him. it's all good coz i rest my feet on other people's seats aswell
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 33
I have run into a number of annoyances while at the theater. I'll regail them here in order to get the pain out there so the healing can begin.

My friend and I bought opening night tickets for Star Wars, Episode One (hey, who can blame us - we mistakenly thought it'd be good) and we happened to sit next to a mother and her three children. Well, when the movie began and the music started playing suddenly the mother turned to her children and started singing, "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear [whatever the little snot's name was], happy birthday to you!" Throughout the entire movie the little kids called out, "Is that the bad guy?" "Why's he red?" "What's that thing called?" It was very frusterating. If it had been a better movie I would probably have been very angry.

Another time, I went to see the Scorpion King with the same friend and we sat next to a pair of guys in their early teens. They had those glow sticks you break and they light up. The ones they had glowed extra bright at one end so you could use it as a flashlight. During the movie they laughed and pointed the things at people's eyes, then giggled and snickered. After half an hour of this, my friend convinced me to have a word with them so I leaned over (we had a seat between us, thank god) and asked them politely to stop. Well, they stopped for a good five minutes then started again, so I leaned over and smacked the guy one across the shoulder. After that they didn't do it to us, but it sure was annoying.

The time that most upset me was probably when I went to see the second Lord Of The Rings movie. Whenever a character did something even remotely impressive the entire theater full of moronic halfwits began clapping. Yes, clapping. Legolas swung up onto the hyena/monster thing, they clapped and it was LOUD clapping with some cheers thrown in. When they did this you couldn't even hear the movie and it lasted for a good twenty seconds. After an hour someone in the back got up and yelled, "Would you all shut the..." etc, etc, "...and watch the," etc, etc, "movie?!" Guess what the people did; they clapped.

Apr 5, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #5 of 33
I don't even bother with movie theaters anymore since I don't like putting up with people talking, cellphones ringing, kids crying, and other annoyances. It just ruins the movie when you have to deal with people doing stuff they know lowers the enjoyment of others and they just don't care. I'll wait 'til it comes out on DVD and rent it from Blockbuster if I really want to see it. That way I can listen in the peace and quiet of my own home, and also listen at a comfortable volume. Movie theaters are quite excessive with the volume and I also avoid them because of that.

Apr 5, 2004 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 33
I hate going to the theater..

Doesn't happen often now that I have 2 kids, but when I do get a chance I'm always thankful I invested in a decent home theater set-up..

I hate the cell-phone morons..

I hate the askers and the explainers..

I hate the guys who buy the candy packaged in that ear-splittingly loud plastic wrapping, with the candies inside packaged in their own little plastic wrappings.. And of coarse the guys and gals eating the stuff are always mutton-fisted mouth-breathers and it takes them an hour and a half to open one of them and stuff it in their gobs.. Please! Can you not unwrap them pre-show and put them in a popcorn bucket or something?! Am I asking too much?

I hate how there is one projectionist in the whole 8-screen megaplex. and yours is the one he didn't get a chance to check on to make sure its's not eye-wateringly blurry, or in the right aspect ratio.. I went to Crouching Tiger Little Dragon and it was 5 minutes into the movie and I'm like "shouldn't they be translating some of this by now??". It was in the wrong aspect ratio, the subtitles were off the screen..

I hate the commercials they have at theaters now.. If I wanted commercials I would have waited for it to come out on the TV!!

I hate the Heritage Canada bits they put on here in Canada.. 10 minutes of listening to how little Pierre got his first Maple Leafs jersey from Eatons in 1921.. (you have to be a Canadian, or at least be in a Canadian theater).

I haven't had to deal with any talkers or seat-kickers.. I'd go Costanza on their ass, though..

Don't get me started..

very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 11:44 AM Post #8 of 33
Just talking of any sort bugs me, particularly of the obnoxious sort. Some people seem to lose all sense of dignity or propriety when sitting in a movie theater (as if other people weren't there at all), it's weird...

Apr 5, 2004 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 33
I only go the movie theatre at off-peak hours, like the middle of the week, in the afternoon. And never opening weekend. The less people in the theatre the better, imo. I like a buffer of several empty seats in either direction.

I've experienced all of the problem viewers you describe. Add to the list the "late comers". Why do people pay almost $10 to go to a movie 10-15 minutes late? They've essentially missed the movie already!

Apr 5, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
I only go the movie theatre at off-peak hours, like the middle of the week, in the afternoon. And never opening weekend. The less people in the theatre the better, imo. I like a buffer of several empty seats in either direction.

Yes.

Apr 5, 2004 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
I only go the movie theatre at off-peak hours, like the middle of the week, in the afternoon.

Eventhough this would mean I'd go alone, I don't mind doing this for the serenity.

I also don't mind waiting and watching it at home. My screen is large enough and sound is better.

Apr 5, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
i've only done it once but there was a time that i just couldn't take it anymore so i turned around, looked the offenders in the eye and told them to knock it off or i'd beat the crap out of them after the movie.

they stopped...

I did gave them a few good "stop-in" glance, they don't seems to recieve the message.

Like most of you, I rarely went to theatres for movies with some exceptions: 1) It still a good experience to watch films like LOTR in big silver screens. I don't have a half decent HT system to reproduce the effects. 2) A lot of small budget films, foreign films and documentaries never make it big to hollywood, renting/buying these DVD would costs a lot of money. For this reason, I still frequent local film fest. 3) When I don't need to pay.

I think the film's targetted audience has a lot to do with it. I rarely has bad experience watching small movies targetting more mature audience.

Apr 5, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by mkyy
[rant]

Have it happened to you when you're in the theatre, and the one sitting behind you just keep kicking at the back of your seat? I was watching hell boy tonight, and a guy, on and off resting his leg on the back of the seat next to me, shuffling his feet as if there's a vibrator inside. His gf, I presume, keep "eeeewl"-ing every 5 sec for a good 10 min. You can close your eyes by all means!! I don't need or want to know that you think the scene is disgusting you. I don't want to tell her to shut up cause it would be embarassing for them and equally disturbing for others who is enjoying the show.

I don't mind people eating popcorn in the theatre, as long as you shut your mouth when you chew.

I pay good money to go to the theatre to enjoy my time, not getting p!ssed. Why do people have to be that inconsiderate?

So how do you deal with that?

[/rant]

sorry for the rant.

I always get some ignorant b*stard either conducting a conversation above the level of the performer or some drunk idiot sitting next to me who want's to fight.

I usually stand up and give them a bad look (I'm 6ft 4") which does the trick...... if they continue to ruin the performance I ask them to shut up and have some respect for the audience and the performer........ if they continue to piss me off I knock them out (last resort) and that's "unfortunately" the way things are nowadays :frowning2:

I came across this woman at a Roger Waters concert........ read here: http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/concerts.htm

Pinkie.

Apr 5, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #14 of 33
i went to see dawn of the dead on sunday (surpirsingly good it was as well, although i dont think i was supposed to laugh at some of it
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

anyhew, there was this d1ck sat next to me, who not only came in late with his friends, they were talking the whole way through, passing popcorn around, which he kept managing to spill on me.

he also squealed like a god damn girl at the least scary/surpirising bits, and i'm sat there thinking ,if you really dont like scary films, why bother?

and the thing that annoyed me the most, when he was squeeking and jumping around, he kept kicking me in the shin.

so, after i put up with it as long as possible, i tapped him on the shoulder, and said "do that one more time muddyfunkster (or something similar sounding
wink.gif
) and you'll wish you hadn't. got it?"

hestopped then. ha aha hahahahahahaaaahaahahahaahaaha

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

nobody messes with me.

Apr 5, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #15 of 33
Whoops sorry........ I thought you were taking about Rock concerts...... I don't go to the pictures (cinema / theatre) as they are full of spotty youths with popcorn and body odour :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back