Why do my ATH-M50's sound better on my 6 year old MP3 player than my Computer?
May 17, 2015 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aaa187

New Head-Fier
I'd say I have a fairly good computer for todays standards but why is the bass lacking compared to my crappy MP3 player?

I do have a Xonar DG that I'm waiting to arrive, so maybe a sound card will make it sound different on my ATH-m50's?

I use the Realtek drivers if that is anything to go by...

May 17, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 9
What mp3 player do you have? What Realtek audio chipset does your computer have? My Sansa Clip+ sounds a lot better than many computers I have heard because it has a better implemented dac/headphone amp.

Yes. A Xonar DG is likely to help. Be sure to turn of your motherboard audio chip through your computer's bios before installing the Xonar.

May 17, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 9
What mp3 player do you have? What Realtek audio chip-set does your computer have? My Sansa Clip+ sounds a lot better than many computers I have heard because it has a better implemented dac/headphone amp.

Yes. A Xonar DG is likely to help. Be sure to turn of your motherboard audio chip through your computer's bios before installing the Xonar.

+1 on everything he said.

May 17, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 9
What mp3 player do you have? What Realtek audio chipset does your computer have? My Sansa Clip+ sounds a lot better than many computers I have heard because it has a better implemented dac/headphone amp.

This is the MP3 i got http://www.chipchick.com/2009-08-philips-gogear.php

As for my audio chipset, it's the Realtek ALC892. Been using the Realtek HD Audio Manager and the bass eq sounds real muddy. Just bad. You can't even do custom EQ, they're all presets.

So yeah, I will definitely give the sound card a try.

May 18, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 9
holy ****.

I've owned a pair of ath-m50's for some months now and was extremely underwhelmed.

Did not hear a single difference to some regular headphones.

This sound card, I can feel the bass raddle my ears. It's a whole new world.

The EQ on these drivers make a hell of a difference too.

May 18, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 9
  holy ****.
I've owned a pair of ath-m50's for some months now and was extremely underwhelmed.
Did not hear a single difference to some regular headphones.
This sound card, I can feel the bass raddle my ears. It's a whole new world.
The EQ on these drivers make a hell of a difference too.

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before you installed the add-on sound card (Xonar DG) and it's software?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back