1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Why do many headphones have a treble peak?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by rhythm is life, Sep 12, 2014.
First

Back
1 2 3 4
  1. swspiers

Man, if you could just let go of the snide commentary, it would be great. It seriously undermines the communication at times.

Claritas likes this.
  2. Joe Bloggs Contributor

Innerfidelity shows raw data in gray on the frequency response graph. The red and blue lines are with a certain compensation curve dialled in (so that flat blue and red lines should indicate well-compensated headphones). However it seems that even Innerfidelity itself is resigned to the fact that their compensation curve is no good and resorts to describing the sound of the headphones relative to some other ideal reference line that the headphones should exhibit. That reference seems to consist of a rolloff in the extreme treble and a peak somewhere around 10kHz :confused:

3. bigshot

I have nothing against people who just don't know something and might be genuinely interested in finding out. I'm happy to share with people like that, and in fact, that is exactly why I'm here. But that kind of person can be the exception around here, not the rule. Too many audiophiles who wander into our forum stick to their predetermined conclusions like glue and grab at straws for justifications of their misconceptions, instead of trying to figure out how sound reproduction really works. When we take the time to share what we know with them, they get mad and go on the attack because feeding their ego is more important than actually finding out the truth. I don't have much respect for that, and I don't see any reason why I should. It's intellectually dishonest. My comment was pertinent to the question being asked... Why is there such a disconnect between sound science and the rest of the audiophile community?

I see conversation after conversation get derailed by people who aren't interested in discussing how to get good sound and how to recognize it when you get it. They push the subject into areas like "Science doesn't know everything! It used to think the Earth is flat!" and "But what about this tiny fraction of a percent? (that may be inaudible)" or "I don't recognize the validity of ABX testing." or "Subjectivity is just as valid as objectivity. I like what I like." Those are all smokescreen arguments. I don't have a lot of patience for them.

James-uk and Huggtand like this.
First

Back
1 2 3 4