Why do iPods sound so bad?
Aug 6, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #62 of 112
It's interesting. Both iPod lovers and haters seem very passionate about their stance. At least the iPod haters don't have to worry about getting mugged for their DAP.
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #63 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's interesting. Both iPod lovers and haters seem very passionate about their stance. At least the iPod haters don't have to worry about getting mugged for their DAP.
wink.gif

I would think that the tip-off for muggers looking to snag an iPod would be the white earbuds. Most people here have (thankfully) upgraded from them.

I do like my iPod, but I haven't listened to anything else, so I can't give you an objective stance on it.

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #64 of 112
I was only referring to the fact that people don't covet other DAPs like they do iPods.

I think the whole "don't wear iBuds because muggers will target you" threat is over seeing as just about every earbud manufacturer sells white headphones now.

White earbuds != iPod

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #65 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's perfectly possible to enjoy the iPod and utilize iTunes without DRM. I do it every day.

Oh really? Then why in the world does Apple sell the worlds biggest portable hard drive that doesn't act like a mass storage device?

You brag about an 80gig hard drive, and then ignore the fact that you can't move your "DRM free" songs from one PC to another?

Like I said, I respect the iPod, but "perfect" it is not.

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #66 of 112
I am not sure of what bigshot means about DRM free music unless he bought the music and ripped it or by other means such as stripping the DRM off Itune Store bought music. But it is entirely possible to have DRM free music.

And there have been a handful of programs which allow a person to transfer songs from their Ipod to your computer such as Ipod Access which is what I used when I had to reformat my computer and forgot to back up my music.

Of course, it does require money but its there.

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #67 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falqon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You brag about an 80gig hard drive, and then ignore the fact that you can't move your "DRM free" songs from one PC to another?

Apple's aggressive rights management is one of their least attractive tendencies , however there are programs that allow you to back-up your iPod tunes to another PC from whence you can import them into another library.

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #68 of 112
Yes, the Ipod is a technologically crippled player supported by a company that uses viral marketing that reeks of superficiality. It's also true however, that Apple's position in the market today has spawned fierce competition. The result? Better, more sonically capable, more feature endowed players from other corporations to try to offset Apple's stranglehold over the industry.

So let's all give Apple a big pat in the back. Their sonically...challenged, relatively featureless player is actually doing some indirect good for the more knowledgeable consumers of the world. Hurrah.

ipod_280.jpg

Aug 7, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #69 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falqon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh really? Then why in the world does Apple sell the worlds biggest portable hard drive that doesn't act like a mass storage device? You brag about an 80gig hard drive, and then ignore the fact that you can't move your "DRM free" songs from one PC to another?

I do that every day with a program that runs right off the hard drive of the iPod- PodWorks.

I think that folks with a chip on their shoulder about Apple just don't know much about the products Apple produces. My iTunes library measures over a terabyte. I have six iPods, all organized by music type and an iPhone too. I regularly sync between four different computers in both directions, I convert DVDs and DV files to movies to play on my iPod, and create custom playlists to sort, update and catalog my libraries. iTunes does a bang up job of quickly accessing over a year's worth of music and movies in seven different libraries. The software and hardware are perfectly integrated into the operating system. No other player and no other computer comes close to doing what my Macs do.

See ya
Steve

Aug 7, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #70 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was only referring to the fact that people don't covet other DAPs like they do iPods.

I think the whole "don't wear iBuds because muggers will target you" threat is over seeing as just about every earbud manufacturer sells white headphones now.

White earbuds != iPod

Of course it doesn't guarantee it, but I'd guarantee you that most muggers take it as a sign.

Aug 7, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #71 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do that every day with a program that runs right off the hard drive of the iPod- PodWorks.

I have to admit that is a pretty impressive function list. I had no idea it can go that far.

Aug 7, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #73 of 112
Arguing about the merits iPod is almost as bad as arguing about politics. People get so emotionally invested in their position that facts just get ignored or manipulated. When people start referring to something 'crippled' and 'challenged' without anything to back it up, you know rationality has gone out the window.

Aug 7, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #74 of 112
"Challenged" is a more...delicate term, IMO.
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #75 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The general consensus among most people who own decent equipment is already established as iPod being a bad source.

Comparing which iPods to what? Does Sony lineups actually sounds better? The only source I think is quite reliable is bangraman's extensive listening test/ABX. As for "general consensus," last I checked 1st gen shuffle is still considered the best sounding DAP, and the 5G/5.5G comes close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back