Why do iPods sound so bad?
Aug 5, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #31 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My iPod doesn't sound bad.

I don't know why your iPod sounds bad.

Doesn't sound bad out of the headphone jack, or doesn't sound bad after going through the ALO Cryo Dock and a Ray Samuels Hornet?
tongue.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #35 of 112
some ipods sound good, some sound bad, 3rd gen ipods were highly animic, the 2nd gen shuffles sound really bad, then you have the iphone or the 5.5 gen video which sound quite decent, and once imod has been applied and use the line out, stuff get alot clearer,

its just hatred for the mainstreem, i dont use ipods becuase i use to travel alot and i think that a 12 to 14 hour battery life is lacking, i dislike having alot of cables popping out of my computer so i dont like to have 1 for the cellphone, another for the camara, another for the card reader and then another for the DAP, i have a mini USB for all, i hate music managment software due to being forced to use sonicstage for a long period of time (NEVER AGAIN), so i have ALOT of things against how the ipod is made, operated and mantained,

but sound quality was just an excuse,

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #36 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't sound bad out of the headphone jack, or doesn't sound bad after going through the ALO Cryo Dock and a Ray Samuels Hornet?
tongue.gif

Well, I only listen through the line-out through the Hornet.

Sounds great! Especially since I'm listening to ogg-vorbis files at Q6!
wink.gif
rs1smile.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #37 of 112
I have a 3g that sounds great. It has nothing to do with the iPod. It all depends on the headphones you plug into them. If you're using a set of cans that aren't suited to use on it, just get a small headphone amp and patch in through the line out. It will sound as good as any other component in your system then.

See ya
Steve

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #38 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by liquidfireboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple went all out to ensure that the average Joe's user experience was perfect in every aspect. The packaging, the cd ripping, transferring songs to DAP, integration with car/hifi etc etc. Do not confuse user experience with technical superiority.

I think you're going a bit overboard with that. The "perfect" act of transferring songs to the DAP with more than one computer is extremely flawed because of Apples embracing of DRM despite what they claim.

Apple in no way seeks perfection, they weigh the user experience vs. money to be made. They are very good at it, I have to admit. Do I think they should almost feel bad for including such crappy headphones, absolutely. Does it make sense for a business? Yep.

I was given a Nano and would have sold it except for the variety of toys for it. I love the nike+ kit.

Aug 5, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #39 of 112
Quote:

I have a 2nd gen Nano as well. The music from the headout is, to put it bluntly, lifeless with an UM2. I found the Nano to be a little too complicated to use as well...

Thankfully, I still have my 1st generation Shuffle.

I have exatcly the same set up and to my ears the sounds is great....granted, music sounds better if I listen with the earphones connected directly to a cd player, or if listening music at home with my B&W speakers......I just think i would be too difficult to carry them around! Ha ha....For portability, in my book, nothing is easier to use than the Ipod. Tried the Rios amongst other and they were a pain to use, and did not sound any better.
280smile.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #40 of 112
Quote:

Ever bought a product, be it DVD player, cellphone or whatever, tried to use a feature and then wondered "why the hell did they implement this feature in this dumb way?"

Apple focused on ensuring their customers would never ask this question. The competition focused on technical superiority. Apple is now the market leader in the DAP market.

i agree with this argument, take the toshiba gigabeat, such dumb interface.

also, somebody said size.....
i most full size mp3 players are bigger than the ipod video....so far
zune 2.0 should be promising though, but it better be able to read more than english, and organize video better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That said, I own a Shuffle, Nano, and iMod, lol. Why? Because iTunes is too damn easy for quick loading and most of my songs were ported over for ease of interface as far as not having to mod anything.

same here, i have a zune but there's not a day i wish i could use itunes on it. it was alot better to use, and the zune can't read asian languages...What, and podcasting would be automatic instead of a 3 step manual process.

Aug 6, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #42 of 112
I don't think the iPod headphone out is necessarily bad, just that the lineout or iMod make it sound so much better.

I don't think the flash drives sound bad either, but if one must EQ the default configuration to work better with one's HP, IEMs, etc. , does that imply that the flash players have good SQ? If it was a nice balanced SQ to begin with it wouldn't need EQing in my opinion.

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #43 of 112
Tried the Ipod against a couple of other DAPs and respectable vintage pdcps, and the Ipod isn't any better or worse than the other DAPs from a technical point of view if you consider soundstage, resolution, etc.. It's a bit different tonally, leaning on the flat side of things, but that's just a matter of taste.

Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's not a good product.

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #44 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's not a good product.

This, I'm afraid is the crux of the matter.

I am convinced that most of the iPod haters hate it simply because it is popular.

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #45 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This, I'm afraid is the crux of the matter.

I am convinced that most of the iPod haters hate it simply because it is popular.

i could not have said it better myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back