Why do I hate rap and hip-hop, but love Public Enemy?
Feb 23, 2008 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I lost my Public Enemy cds years ago, so I downloaded a couple. I've been listening to them on and off for a week and I just totally love Public Enemy. The funny thing is I can't stand 99% of all current rap and hip-hop. But I love PE. Maybe its just smarter than most of what I hear? Funnier?

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 60
I'm guessing it's just what you here because theres tons of good stuff out there. mmm. Here's a few mixes I put together on itunes that might give you some ideas.

By accident I deleted my better imix while grabbing this one for you but this might give you a few suggestions. It's all newer stuff, I made this one just to show hip-hop really isn't as dead as some say at all.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...11264&s=143441

Here are a few I recommend as well...

All Natural
The Beatnuts
The Pharcyde
Living Legends
People under the stairs
De La Soul
Souls of Mischief
A Tribe Called Quest
Cunninlynguists

Mostly all of that is classic stuff, so check it out if you havn't already. Goodluck
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #3 of 60
I still hang on to a little Public Enemy and De La Soul, though I don't much like anything else from the genre. Sort of the same reason I have a couple Black Sabbath records that I enjoy, but really no other metal. It's like the genres found a successful formula and then cashed in and made little or no musical development after that.

Just my opinion; I know a lot of people still enjoy these. And I'm partial to more than one genre a lot of people consider "dead."

Feb 23, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 60
They have the classic mid '80s to early '90s sample- and loop-based rap sound. A lot of artists were pilfering riffs, beats, etc. from old vinyl to create atmospheric collages.

The problem with most current popular rap is that the rappers aren't very intelligent, don't have a broad understanding of the world, or just choose to focus on the life of excess. Sure, there are plenty of exceptions, but in the earlier rap days, the exception was the rule; rap wasn't always about women and money. Sometimes it was about just hanging out and being cool.
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by weste47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are a few I recommend as well...

All Natural
The Beatnuts
The Pharcyde
Living Legends
People under the stairs
De La Soul
Souls of Mischief
A Tribe Called Quest
Cunninlynguists

Good recommendations! I find that no modern hip-hop can hold a candle to what was coming out in the early 90's. I'm glad to see someone finally recommend Souls of Mischief, the whole Hieroglyphics camp was putting out pure gold in the early to mid 90's.

Oh, and to answer the OP, you probably like Public Enemy because of how intelligent and conscious Chuck D is with his lyrics and delivery, I've always been drawn to his music as well. That and the fact that he offsets it all by hanging out with a complete weirdo like Flava Flav only somehow adds to the appeal.

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #7 of 60
I went down and got my records, most of them anyway.
smile.gif
They were flawless up until about a year ago .... they got moved around. It could have been alot worse.

DSC06674a1.jpg

Feb 10, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 60
I guess PE is not really my flavor flav but a lot of other hiphop is. I find that 'loop' very annoying.
I will try some again though.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Ah yes. It was Rebel Without A Pause that is just dead annoying.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 60
1. Because Public Enemy has a much more immediate rock influence on their sound than most Hip-Hop

2. Because you've been looking for other good Hip-Hop on the radio, MTV, BET, and other mainstream outlets, and 90% of it outright sucks. Most of the good music is independent (and I don't think this is just true of Hip-Hop)

In my opinion, there is Hip-Hop being made that is as good as ever, but it's not what is popular. Maybe check out these albums from recent years:

El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens
Cunninlynguists - A Piece of Strange
The Roots - Rising Down
Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
Cage - Hell's Winter
K-Os - Joyful Rebellion
Zion I - True & Livin
K'naan - The Dusty Foot Philosopher
The Mighty Underdogs - Droppin' Science Fiction
Nas - Untitled
Q-Tip - The Renaissance
Black Milk - Tronic
Cee-Lo - The Soul Machine
Brother Ali - Shadows On the Sun
Panacea - A Mind on a Ship Through Time
Pharoahe Monch - Desire
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, Paint That crap Gold

El-P and the Roots are probably the first places to go from Public Enemy.

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 60
^ Oh please. I heard Untitled by Nas and it blows big time.
redface.gif

I think if you like PE listen to other music from that time. Run DMC and Beastie Boys were quite pioneers in Hip-Hop.
To me one of the best things about hip-hop music is that you can hear the changes in it over the years.

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #11 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Oh please. I heard Untitled by Nas and it blows big time.
redface.gif

I think it's a great album, his most impressive and focused album in years.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #14 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's a great album, his most impressive and focused album in years.

Seriously? Have you compared it against Illmatic or even Stillmatic for that matter?
He sounds pretty grumpy on Untitled. Everything is 'still his' and 'he is still doing this' and 'still doing that'. It sounds like he has got nothing to say.

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #15 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I lost my Public Enemy cds years ago, so I downloaded a couple. I've been listening to them on and off for a week and I just totally love Public Enemy. The funny thing is I can't stand 99% of all current rap and hip-hop. But I love PE. Maybe its just smarter than most of what I hear? Funnier?

Hard to say. I despise 100% of rap/hip hop. I even think that a few seconds of rap destroys an otherwise decent pop or rock song!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back