Why do earphone cables go out?
Jul 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #16 of 32

Quote:
I use them often enough for it to become a chore to put them in a case. 

When they're unused, they're just left on the table. If I'm on the go, and I'm not using the earphones, I just shove them in my pocket. 

I use my earphones very often (about an hour a day, with 7 switches from video to music and music to video whenever I change from subway to another subway or bus or walking). 

I don't abuse my earphone, but I don't exactly take precious care of them.

That bolded text is the problem then and it's not like it takes very long to put them in a case. I'd get a earphone with either detachable cables or one built really well such as the meelectrionics line if you dont want to spend much.

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #17 of 32

Quote:
That bolded text is the problem then and it's not like it takes very long to put them in a case. I'd get a earphone with either detachable cables or one built really well such as the meelectrionics line if you dont want to spend much.

There is no way I'd carry a case around me. I'd be very surprised if some people do that. I have a Archos 5, which is already almost 1'' thick because of the 250GB hard drive. A case is like the size of a cigarette box, which is another inch of thickness. Plus, it takes 2 seconds to put away my earphones by putting them in my pocket. It will take a minute to wrap the cable in the case, and slightly less to take it out.

I can see doing that at home, but it is way too much hassle on the go.

No comments on my fix in the first post?

Jul 27, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #18 of 32
well it doesnt take a analytical mind to know why your head phones keep breaking than
wink.gif
. Just use a altoid mini or altoid gum case and you will keep them safe then.

Jul 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #20 of 32

Quote:
well it doesnt take a analytical mind to know why your head phones keep breaking than
wink.gif
. Just use a altoid mini or altoid gum case and you will keep them safe then.

I don't understand. If I use a small case, I'll be forcing the earphones to a very confined space. Wouldn't that do even more bad to the cable because I have to sharply bend the cable?

Jul 27, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #21 of 32
when it is your pocket it gets unwanted bends and pressure near the the jack as well as the buds. Overtime this will cause a line to go out. Putting it in a case with a up and under loop you will be protecting it without harmful bending.

Jul 27, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #22 of 32
Earphone cases are cheap to boot.

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #24 of 32
Coil it like a snake coils itself.  You can also describe it as wrapping the cable around three to four fingers like a boa constrictor wrapping around its prey.  Maybe not that tight, but yeah.  Better than sharp bending and tying of the cable, as you usually see with cheap cables.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #26 of 32
it puts alot of pressure on specific point in the wire were there are the jagged edges. Also just looping around and around puts pressure and wear and tear only on the outside of the wires. Up and under is were you make a circle then you undo the circle then repeat. This causes no pressure points as well as no knots. Then put it in a case making sure the jack and buds are not bending. If you did this you probably wouldnt of had these keep breaking.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #27 of 32
http://lifehacker.com/5409389/use-an-over+under-wrap-to-keep-your-headphones-kink+free here you go this is over and under

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #28 of 32
my cables always broke on me, because I was keeping my mp3 player in my pants while cycling, so when i would cycle for an hour, the cable would bend / unbend at the same spot for an hour which is funest for the cable, since I figured this out, I stopped using my pants pocket for my mp3 player while cycling, but it's not just the cycling, i figured it could also happen while walking so I started pulling the plug out of my mp3-player when not in use, this should relieve strain on the cable just next to the plug which is where it always broke on me. since I do this, no cable has ever broken on me again and this is for the last 1.5+ years, before that i had to buy new earphones every 2-3 months.

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #30 of 32

Users who are viewing this thread

Back