Why didn't you tell me ER-6s chewed sun-dried bison droppings?
Jul 11, 2002 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Tweertinelle

Why didn't people on this forum explain that ER-6s munched Precambrian trilobite droppings? I've just come back from Scientific Plastics, Inc. after having gotten to hear the ER-4P and -S: all problems I'd had with Etymotic were suddenly resolved. The stock tips fit, the bass response was there, the stereo imaging had amazing depth, I listened to Webern's orchestration of Bach's Ricercar from Das Musical Opfer and could discern every single line in the pointillistic contrapuntal mayhem -- so this was the miraculous headphone you'd all been jizzing about. Well, for the love of Mildred Bile, you should have explained that ER-6s blew steaming mallard deposits by comparison.

The ER-6 has unusual clarity but nothing else. I've even got a temporary ringing in my ears from the absence of low end causing me to drive them too loud. I can't believe Etymotic would bother making them at all, given the tenor of the 4s.

I'm going back tomorrow to purchase muh 4Ps because of the deal I was offered due to tax-free day. I'll probably get the $30.00 ear molds as well. It's too much money and I need a new bed and possibly a new air conditioner as well but I don't care because no one told me about the difference between these and my tinnitus-inducing 6s and besides, I need these things more than the sort of partner who minds being impaled by rows of exposed bedsprings.

Pardon my effervescence, but I really must go and hemorrhage credit toward yet another auditory extravagance. (Write me in the poorhouse.)

Jul 11, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Tweertinelle
Well, for the love of Mildred Bile, you should have explained that ER-6s blew steaming mallard deposits by comparison.

hahah man is that funny. keep posts like that coming!

anyway, sorry you didn't like the er6. i haven't tried them, i have er4s and never really considered a "downgrade" to the cheaper model, unless i became a commuter or something and needed a cheaper model to use on the train. but thanks for the very entertaining post.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2002 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 33
LOL Tweertinelle!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

and besides, I need these things more than the sort of partner who minds being impaled by rows of exposed bedsprings

But what does this part mean?
confused.gif

Oh, and you can't really evaluate the ER6 based on an improper seal. Although I suppose you can 'dis the ER6 for being so hard to seal in your ears
rolleyes.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 11, 2002 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

The ER-6 has unusual clarity but nothing else.

I gotta disagree with this assessment. I have the ER4S,4P, and the ER6. To my ears, the ER6 does not sound anything like your description. I would say the ER6 comes pretty close to providing the sound quality of the ER4 series IF you have a proper seal, which is most defintely more difficult to obtain than with the ER4.
If I don't have a proper seal with the ER6, they then perform as you state.........horrible! However, with the proper seal, about the only difference that I can find between all three Etys is the degree of extension and refinement in the frequency range.
Of course, these are just my opinions based on my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2002 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 33
I have listened to ER-6 and the 4P and 4S and would concur with joelongwood. I did find the ER-6 a little harder to insert properly. Using a little water or rubbing alcohol on the tips makes insertion into your ear considerably easier.

Jul 11, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Using a little water or rubbing alcohol on the tips makes insertion into your ear considerably easier.

rubbing alcohol?! wont that degrade the silicon tips? does anyone know if using a little vasoline on the tips will ruin them (that's what i've used).

Jul 11, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 33
Gotta disagree also. I DO NOT have er4's to compare to but I find the er6's to be very nice sounding. I wear them in the yard and they block out everything unwanted(lawnmower, cars goindg by). I will say that when i first recieved them I did not seal them properly and they sounded terrible. So bad in fact i thought the posters here at head fi needed their ears cleaned. After learning how to seal properly I am very please with the purchase. I find the bass response to be just enough and everything fills in nice.

For those with both 6's and 4's are the 4's worth the investment?

Jul 11, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 33
Alcohol does not hurt the tips. When the Headroom traveling road show comes to Seattle look at the container full of used tips imersed in alcohol. Silicone stands up pretty well to most things. Don't soak them in kerosene though.

Jul 11, 2002 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Tweertinelle
Why didn't people on this forum explain that ER-6s munched Precambrian trilobite droppings? Well, for the love of Mildred Bile, you should have explained that ER-6s blew steaming mallard deposits by comparison.

Q: What do Etymotic, Tupperware and a walrus have in common?

A: They are all looking for a tight seal.

Jul 11, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 33
I agree that the er6 pales in comparison to the 4p and 4s (I have all three). And I agree that there's a push in the upper mid treble that can be quite annoying at times; however, overall, I find the er6 to be a very nice sounding phone for the money. It definitely blows away other earbuds at this price point.

Jul 11, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Q: What do Etymotic, Tupperware and a walrus have in common?

A: They are all looking for a tight seal.

ROTFL!!!!

Jul 11, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #14 of 33
im starting to turn away from the er6 now... i hated the screechy mid-highs of my ex70s... even modded.. i went out and picked up some ksc-50s yesterday to hold me over for the lengthly amount of time to save for the er4... but ill have to make sure of this at the seattle tour.. Redshifter: I'll see you there

Jul 11, 2002 at 11:31 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by dgs
I find the er6 to be a very nice sounding phone for the money. It definitely blows away other earbuds at this price point.

Well, that's certainly understandable, considering that there aren't any other earbuds at this price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back