Why didn't you tell me ER-6s chewed sun-dried bison droppings?
Jul 12, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by sTaTIx

Well, that's certainly understandable, considering that there aren't any other earbuds at this price point.

lol

Jul 12, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by sTaTIx

Well, that's certainly understandable, considering that there aren't any other earbuds at this price point.

lol, but there are! A&B has some buds that are around that price, right?

Jul 12, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Alcohol does not hurt the tips.

this is true. i rather ritualistically clean my tips with alcohol all the time. i seem to have excessive wax in my ears, so i'll clean the tips quite often and they work superb. isopropyl is great for cleaning LOTS of stuff..

Jul 12, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by dgs
And I agree that there's a push in the upper mid treble that can be quite annoying at times;

Hi dgs!

What you've been trying to tell? Where is the push? In UPPER MID
confused.gif
Treble? That's upper mid, upper treble, mid treble or something else?

confused.gif

Moonwalker

Jul 12, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Moonwalker

Hi dgs!

What you've been trying to tell? Where is the push? In UPPER MID
confused.gif
Treble? That's upper mid, upper treble, mid treble or something else?

confused.gif

Moonwalker

Hey Moonwalker.

I would suggest reading my review of them here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...=ety+er6+4s+4p

The Upper mid treble is, for me, like this:

There is treble, midrange, and bass.
These can be broken down by instruments to some simple degree:
The treble is predominantly brass, cymbals/hihats, very high vocals, violins, the very top of the guitar neck, etc.
Midrange is the rhythm guitars, most vocals, saxophones, piano, most other orchestral stringed instruments, etc.
The bass is the bass guitar, double cello, some vocals, etc.

However, this breakdown does not really capture the sweep of sound across the entire spectrum. For example, a brass instrument (like a trumpet) is capable of playing notes throughout the area of the sound spectrum delineated as "treble" and some areas delineated as "midrange." And within treble, there is a lower treble, a mid treble, and an upper treble. Then again, within each of these, the mid treble for example, there is a lower mid and upper. So, a blare from Louis Armstrong's trumpet, for example, somewhere in the mid part of the trumpet's range, would fall in the mid to upper area of the mid treble. Or Jeff Buckely's voice, when he sings falsetto, often falls into this category. On the er6, this area of the spectrum is accentuated a bit...it sounds louder all other things being equal, than the rest of the sound spectrum. This is a mild push, mind you, but a push nonetheless. This can be experienced sonically either by a sense of irritation or even pain on certain notes, other times the sonic field just doesn't feel balanced. But I digress. So, to sum up, I think of it like this:

key: U = upper, M = Mid, L = Lower

Treble has UUT, UMT, ULT; MUT, MMT, MLT, LUT, LMT, LLT
and so on...

I guess it's a little compulsive, but it's the way I conceptualize the smallest possible parts of the sound spectrum.

Was I clear?

Jul 16, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #22 of 33
Man, Tweertinelle, you made my day. That post was absolutely hilarious! Too bad you don't like the ER6 though, but I'm glad you're getting the ER4p...

Keep up the good work
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2002 at 5:31 AM Post #23 of 33
Used my new er-6's as monitors for july 4th random beach interview video project. They were made to order! Light weight, isolation galore, discrete and, to my ear, accurate. Not to say the er4's aren't better... but for the money, right on! I'll take them to Costa Rica next month to record bird songs. Rain and humidity would be a PITA with over-the-head 'phones and I'm not sure the er-4's would be as great under a rain hood. They look like they stick out too far. Anyhow, as a lurker-turned-poster I submit my two cents.

Anyone else w/experience using a favorite 'phone for recording monitoring?

Jul 16, 2002 at 9:14 AM Post #24 of 33
Gentlefoonts:

While I do appreciate your deep concern, suffice to snort I won’t be handing out stars for variety. Nothing martyrs my attention span faster than reading twenty-odd masterpiece-theater-intoned manifestos on insertion. "Really, you must be *inserting* your Etys incorrectly. The problem lies with your improper *insertion* technique. Young man, I suggest you marinate your ER-6s in reconstituted sea urchin mucous at a temperature of exactly 7962.0010063 degrees forenhead and then allow them to cool until my gelded ocelot impales its gray matter on a five-and-seven-eighths-inches-high pith helmet spike. Then and only then will you comprehend the magic, nay, the majesty, of these papery, over-hyped, kazoo-in-a-helium-balloon audiophile-duping bastards."

Lecture me on insertion, why don’t you, fronds and niblets? Jesus Twishing-cheng Tuning Fork Moo-hole Christ. Do you think I haven’t read your FAO Cues a hulking bajillion times? Your collective cruelty is about to make me shriek like a court-marshaled cub scout.

(Sobbing) I try and I try to humor you people! And still Joe B. and Joe L. assail me like the virile Portuguese Barry-White-crooning cross-dressers they are! They fuss and they fuss about whether or not I've licked my tips correctly! Well, let me tell you, Joes! I've licked them, I’ve tongued them, I've steamed them gingerly in the Etymotic mucous Jacuzzi, I've shot them into my ear canals at 45 degree angles, I've read Elizabethan EQ graphs to them by firelight, I've complimented their taste in tip-rings, I've located their sweet-spots, I've twirled them like a pair of arterial batons, I've oiled them with Lancome and cured them in Courvoisier and still they sound to my side-intelligencers like a pair of surly freeze-dried midget feces!

Ear-pals o' mine: begrudge me a smidgen of competence, why don't you? Why insist that I’m inserting my earphone tips incorrectly after months of use? Mother of Dugs, I'll have you know I've owned the ER-6s' left tip’s fleshy correlate for a lifetime and no one, I repeat, no one has ever complained that I've inserted it incorrectly! A few Catholics have died, it is true, but I was *able to hear the low frequencies.*

And just so you know: when I was A/B-ing my 6s and 4s, the sales-wrangler at Scientific Plastics commented that, "obviously," I knew how to insert Etys correctly. He added that musicians tended to pick the 4s because of the "superior bass" (read: fewer cartilage-boinking highs).

Jul 16, 2002 at 11:37 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Tweertinelle
Lecture me on insertion, why don’t you, fronds and niblets? Jesus Twishing-cheng Tuning Fork Moo-hole Christ. Do you think I haven’t read your FAO Cues a hulking bajillion times? Your collective cruelty is about to make me shriek like a court-marshaled cub scout.

cool.gif
Yes, well, I A/B'd the ER-6 and the ER-4x at the Headroom show, and found that, with apparently good insertion used on both, the 4s waaaaaaaaaaay outperformed the 6s. And I bought 4Ps myself. Whole different story, imo, though others have had much more success and satisfaction with the 6s.

Of course, it goes without saying that proper insertion is absolutely critical...indeed , as the forefathers of this thread have suggested, it's the only one true path to the nirvana-like Seal of Approval...

Angus McNiblet
His Seal
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #26 of 33
Tweertinelle, you have the finest command of adjectives I've ever heard. That post is going on my door..
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Seriously, though, your ears just might not be cut out for them. Or they might totally suck and the reason nobody else has mentioned it before is because of the Emperor's New Clothes effect
confused.gif
eek.gif

Jul 16, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Or they might totally suck and the reason nobody else has mentioned it before is because of the Emperor's New Clothes effect!

I'd bet the farm that it's the seal.......which, on the ER6 is not only critical, but, for me at least, damned hard to acheive.
mad.gif

Jul 17, 2002 at 12:53 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Sobbing) I try and I try to humor you people! And still Joe B. and Joe L. assail me like the virile Portuguese Barry-White-crooning cross-dressers they are! They fuss and they fuss about whether or not I've licked my tips correctly! Well, let me tell you, Joes! I've licked them, I’ve tongued them, I've steamed them gingerly in the Etymotic mucous Jacuzzi, I've shot them into my ear canals at 45 degree angles, I've read Elizabethan EQ graphs to them by firelight, I've complimented their taste in tip-rings, I've located their sweet-spots, I've twirled them like a pair of arterial batons, I've oiled them with Lancome and cured them in Courvoisier and still they sound to my side-intelligencers like a pair of surly freeze-dried midget feces!

LOL Tweertinelle!

*Bows apology*
redface.gif

Nonetheless, I venture to say that just because you know exactly how to obtain a seal with etys doesn't mean that the ER6 are *physically able* to seal onto your ears, and that may be the problem!

Heck, apparently there are ears that even the ER4s apparently fail to seal onto them for the life of them, although that's a rarer occurrence...

Joe B
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 18, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #29 of 33
some fine humor here gang! keep up the fine work...
biggrin.gif

the Er6s are also stubbier and so harder to get em all the way in. the ER4 is narrower and longer and you can get em deeper which usually means a better seal. no questioning of your insertion technique is implied by me, tweert!

I think the ER4 sounds better, but it also costs twice as much and has the same $20 build quality appearance as the ER6. I can understand buying the ER6 (like I did!) and they are fine headphones though a bit weak on the bass. Even the ER4 bass sounded merely "noticeable" as compared to the ER6's "nonexistent" rating, so bass heads really should look at some other design altogether...I think the ER6 is a good product design for Ety though, and I'm sure Headphone.com loves it as I would think they sell 4 or 5 ER6s for every ER4...

Anyway, Tweert, enjoy your ER4s, and look out for amorous walruses...

smily_headphones1.gif
Whee--- # 500!! Where's my prize??

Jul 18, 2002 at 7:02 AM Post #30 of 33
(Dear Pudenda 500: Please refrain from referring to the ER-6 as "stubby." It has already developed a shape complex due to our massive preference for the older and more virile ER-4. Henceforth the ER-6 must be referred to as "girthy" in order to restore its ear insertion esteem.)

I'm so very sorry about the cryptic title of this post, but I've just returned from a web board devoted to the rants of schizophrenics (I'm holding her foot and It is God (Mugno Arborism Teacup 24-II(i))) and feel a bit, em, addled at the moment.

It is my fervent belief that y'all might like to glean the heads-up offered to me in men's-room-private by one Christian "Ni****ani" Fecteau. While chortling and touching himself, Mr. "Ni****ani" introduced the ER-6-15 adapter into the sordid back room of our Etymotic fetishism. This menacing and vaguely suggestive device allows one (meaning me, not you) to use special earmolds with the ER-6 in place of conventional tips. The ER-6-15 page, Hear-Know-Pals, is available here:

Hello! I'm your special ER-6-15 playfriend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back