Why cant anyone help me make a final decision?!?!?!?!?
Feb 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

radmanhs

100+ Head-Fier
I am trying to find a nice set of headphones... and i was told this was the best place to go
biggrin.gif

Look at this thread on overclock.net for the whole 'war' that has been going on. reply on here or there, your choice

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 16
Need to know price, sound signature preference, gear that you plan on running the headphones with, musical tastes.  List those and perhaps we can help.

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 16
ok lets see, my budget is 1k usd, i prefer warm sounds, i have a titanium hd and i need an amp within the 1k. my music types are rock, black sabbath, acdc, little metallica. i listen to a bit of bob marley, and im not sure what you would define him as but weird al yankovic. i was looking at the hifiman he-500's + amp.

i would also like the amp to be able to power both headphones and speakers, because i will get speakers in the future

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 16
Order the Asgard 2. It is shipping next week and has a preamp for speakers. Then order the the he400 and read the thread in my signature. After you realize that you've only spent about $650 you could: buy a nice dac, some music and still have some left to send to me. 
size]

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
Order the Asgard 2. It is shipping next week and has a preamp for speakers. Then order the the he400 and read the thread in my signature. After you realize that you've only spent about $650 you could: buy a nice dac, some music and still have some left to send to me. 
size]

+2 

Start neck yoga and neck ups right away. Wear a helmet everyday to get used to the weight of the HE400's because once you hear them you won't be able to listen to another headphone again, without spending a lot more money, because your mind will have been blown.

I couldn't do the neck workouts properly so I had to upgrade I mean down grade in price to the AlphaDogs. And I needed a closed headphone :wink:

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
I am trying to find a nice set of headphones... and i was told this was the best place to go
biggrin.gif

Look at this thread on overclock.net for the whole 'war' that has been going on. reply on here or there, your choice

You want a final decision? Though you should make the final decision i can tell you under the criteria given, the he-500 plus a hybrid amp will give you the power and warmth you want. the Schiit asgard is solid state and dosnt sound anywhere as warm as a hybrid amp infact for me the asgard makes the he-500 a bit too bright.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #12 of 16
Weird AI Yankovic makes all kinds of music, from polka to hip-hop. Hard to categorize him indeed.

The HE-400 should be good though, the hype train is still very well operational. About the Asgard, yes it's not warm, it's more on the neutral side of things, with a subtle hint of treble emphasis.

The TiHD is an incredible sound card, for ~120 bucks it's very competent. It's based on a PCM 1796 (or 1793, can't remember) and uses pretty high quality parts. Has all the connectors you may need (RCA, 3.5, optical/coax). Fully supports gaming. Unless your headphones will be 1k + I don't see how the TiHD can bottleneck your setup in any way. 

For headphones you can consider: HE-400, DT880-990, D600, W1000X, AD2000/2000X.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
ok lets see, my budget is 1k usd, ..i was looking at the hifiman he-500's + amp.

Good choice.  With your budget I'm not sure why people are recommending HE-400..  Headphones are by far the most important chain in the link.  Amazing headphones + mediocre amp = amazing sound.  Mediocre headphones + amazing amp = mediocre sound.  

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Good choice.  With your budget I'm not sure why people are recommending HE-400..  Headphones are by far the most important chain in the link.  Amazing headphones + mediocre amp = amazing sound.  Mediocre headphones + amazing amp = mediocre sound.  

well i cant say thats true without a proper amp the hifimans really lack, so the more proper thing would be amazing headphones+amazing amp = amazing sound, amazing headphones+ mediocre amp = mediocre sound, mediocre headphones+ amazing amp = mediocre sound

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #15 of 16
meh.  My more-demanding LCD-2 out a $100 udac at safe listening levels sound almost indistinguishable from a $1200 Lavry DA11.  Sure there are differences, but not nearly as big as those between an HE-400 and a HE-500 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back