Why buy a Macbook?
Jun 16, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #166 of 431

Quote:
I just totally love Windows VS OSX debates

I believe that apple achieves stability by imposing limits, Let me just begin by saying that its not nessarly a bad thing. What I mean by imposing limits is that you will never get the newest and fastest hardware in apple products, and you will never get the newest and fastest ways to run the products you have. Why? Because apple test the hardware to death with the software that they have, and they can do this because they build the OS and the computer. Also, OSX doesn’t run on a driver system, but a kext system and it won’t have the newest updates from nvidia or intel or the original hardware makers. The flip side to this is that you have a smooth running system, and minimize software conflicts. This is one of the main reasons why windows crashs and BSODs, because of driver conflicts and error in coding.

I’m personally a windows guy, bought a macbook a while back then switched back to windows. I can’t justify paying more for a lower speced computer. However I really did love the osx experience. It’s the little things that makes osx great, it is really, really polished compared to windows. That said, I will leave a passage that I left on laptopreviews forum a while back, which I believe still applys

“To me OSX is like a Swiss army knife, it might not have every tool, but it has basically everything you need, its smooth, snappy and it works with almost everything you throw at it. The system and the operating system is made by the same manufacture and it shows, especially in boot up and shut down times.

Windows 7 is like a whole bag of tools, it’s not as light weight, but it will have those star shaped screw drivers that you won’t find in a swiss army knife. meaning if its something out of the ordinary and you just really need it to work, chances are you are going to get it working on windows other than OSX, not to mention the community support base for windows is just way bigger (doesn't always mean better) than OSX 

Theres really no clear winner in this category, really comes down to personal preference and fanboyism”

An excellent analysis that cuts through all the Mac vs Windows BS that this thread is full of and that was clearly the intent of the OP.

Tim

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #167 of 431

Quote:
In fact Windows still has several UI bugs and with its aggresive vision to be on every computer on Earth, no to be "cool" and usable, they just ignore it and they focus on selling. I hate that company.

When did it become a bad thing to support all platforms? I won't buy a Mac until it offers something of value to justify the price. I still can do more on Linux faster than on OS X and if I want to run a program that Linux can't run I just switch to windows.

By the way, look around the internet: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/10/25/apple_earnings_profits_and_cash_embarrass_microsoft.html; Apple selling capacity is 1/20 of Microsofts and they still made more money. So whose focusing on selling again? Despite what you think, "Apple profits margins would embarrass most drug dealers" - Fudzilla.

And Apple doesn't make hardware. They just rebrand and resell hardware made by other manufacturers with an extra profit margin. If you want proof go online and pick a component Apple uses and find the PC equivalent. I can guarantee it will be cheaper on PC even if its literally the exact same. I'm not saying Microsoft does any better in terms of hardware, neither company makes their own hardware with few exceptions. I don't understand why Mac users can't figure out that PC's are better designed and you can get anything apple has to offer for cheaper with a PC.

So far all I've been hearing is "Apple looks and runs better," which is why I find these arguments amusing. What can Apple offer me that a PC doesn't have? I'll stick with my PC's that cost half as much but look and run just as good if not better. If I put an $1500.00 Laptop (PC; Asus for e.g.) against a $3000.00 Macbook. The Macbook will be obliterated. And there are PC's that are smaller and lighter weight which run better such as the Sony Vaio z series I already mentioned.

And I can still install OS X. And if you guys are worried about incompatibility get a PC with exactly the same specs. It will still be significantly cheaper. What most of you mac users don't seem to get is that there are more than the cheap PC's you see at Best Buy which ironically are some of the most overpriced products you can get. Don't go retail. Use online resources.

Anyway, on another note I spent two hours after my soccer game and calculus tutoring finding components for my Windows based Mac Mini lets call this custom PC a "PC Mini", I'll come up with a more adequate name latter. It's looking like I can build one at a comparable price, but with a nicer chassis and significantly better specs. More on this later. I'll try to get around to a render later this week or weekend. Maybe I'll even get a video up if I can spare the time.

Quote:
Don't, don't don't,delete,use, don't, INSTALL,...... In Windows world you must behave according it's rules and RESTRICTIONS, otherwise something broke or something terrible happen. I will call it like this:

I think this will do the job of explaining on its own: http://engeldvh.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/mac_vs_pc.jpg
Furthermore, not to knock off Mario, but you get the point: http://www.mactard.co.uk/iblog//iblogimages//2009/01/mac_vs_pc.jpg also notice the price difference.

Also I realize steam is now on Mac. Great you guys now have access too 10 games I beat years ago. You still can't play any real modern games with few exceptions. You have a few games like COD4, BF2142, and Halo, which are fun games, but I won't be seeing you playing metro 2033, splinter cell: conviction, Crysis (1, 2 is dumbed down by consoles, btw check out MWLL mod; it's epic), or bad company 2 anytime soon. Also it's been tested even with the same specs a PC will run the same games better than a Mac will.

And seriously if you don't like flashy cases there are very subtle case designs that are very aesthetically appealing. I personally like cases that actually look like someone put work into building them; modding and DIY = epic win. Retail = epic fail. It's not a matter of time or effort. I'm an engineer I know more about lack of time than most of you ever will. Just because you like wasting money doesn't mean you should. If I can spend a little time and money and get a better end product for less than someone else. I've done my job whether it's for work, school, or just personal. That's what engineering is all about; efficiency.

7H3 L457 H0P3

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #168 of 431
I still find it amusing that people say Windows is so full of bugs and yet MAC's are not?
I would I have extensive experience with both platforms and I have seen a boatload of issues with apple systems also.  I am not pro windows or PC over MAC, buy whichever suits you personally but if you're expecting a system that will never give you any type of issues or problems, you are going to be very dissapointed in a Apple.

I would say that it is better to have experience with both systems though especially for certain jobs.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #169 of 431

Quote:
Hybrys, I think you should go to your local computer discounter, pick up the cheapest netbook on sale that day, then take it home and install OSX on it. Think how impressed all the other kids at school will be when they see that you accomplished, for $300, what they paid $1200 for! You will bask in their admiration and your certain superiority and everything will run as seamlessly as it would on a Mac. Yeah, that should work. Let us know how that goes.

Tim

Totally bad idea. He don't want to make someone impressed that he has OSX on some crappy Intel Atom with integrated cheapo graphic card, he want to work on it! He want a good graphic card for work. So yes, it will be cheap, but it is a no go for 3d applications. Would you wait 10 times more to make the task done? netbooks were only made for surfing and basic stuff. If you mind the time spent on waiting, 1200 is not that much, if you can avoid it and work more effective.

Btw. those new graphic cards on mac are not that bad, if you want more, just look at benchmarks and buy a PC, but with much more performance, 10 percent boost is not enough I think. Then it depends on soft. Hybris will be working with. If it's windows only, there you have it, it will be a PC, otherwise MAC.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #170 of 431

Quote:
Totally bad idea. He don't want to make someone impressed that he has OSX on some crappy Intel Atom with integrated cheapo graphic card, he want to work on it! He want a good graphic card for work. So yes, it will be cheap, but it is a no go for 3d applications. Would you wait 10 times more to make the task done? netbooks were only made for surfing and basic stuff. If you mind the time spent on waiting, 1200 is not that much, if you can avoid it and work more effective.

Btw. those new graphic cards on mac are not that bad, if you want more, just look at benchmarks and buy a PC, but with much more performance, 10 percent boost is not enough I think. Then it depends on soft. Hybris will be working with. If it's windows only, there you have it, it will be a PC, otherwise MAC.

I know it's a bad idea; I was being sarcastic. Hybrys came here asking Mac people to justify the cost, and claiming to have an open mind. Then he proceeded to only listen to the pro Windows arguments, and made it clear that he has already decided to build a Hackintosh. He only came here to argue. I don't doubt that he knows that only a limited number of Windows machines are realistic candidates for hacking into running OSX. He probably already knows exactly what he has in mind. He started the thread in hopes of starting the senseless old argument that has been going on here for 12 pages now. I didn't think he really deserved a real response, so I threw a deliberate simplification of his own nonsense at him. I secretly hope he doesn't quite know what he's doing and stumbles into the sea of pain and problems a Hackintosh can cause. Of course he would only blame OSX.

Tim

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #171 of 431

Quote:
I still find it amusing that people say Windows is so full of bugs and yet MAC's are not?
I would I have extensive experience with both platforms and I have seen a boatload of issues with apple systems also.  I am not pro windows or PC over MAC, buy whichever suits you personally but if you're expecting a system that will never give you any type of issues or problems, you are going to be very dissapointed in a Apple.

I would say that it is better to have experience with both systems though especially for certain jobs.

Hence why I have both a PC and a G5 working side by side with a KVM switch.

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #172 of 431
So, bought a MacBook yet?
wink_face.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #173 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7H3L457H0P3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just some pointers to people who have problems with viruses; most is common sense, but well common sense is not common: 1) You are not lucky, you didn't win anything. Don't click on these popups or anything that says you have a virus, or free software.
2) If a pop up is on your screen don't hit the exit button. Either "end process" through task manager (aka CTRL + ALT + DEL) or use "ALT +F4" which will terminate any program mid process.
3) Don't download stuff from shady sites and don't torrent or visit explicit webpages.
4) Delete your page files, cookies, history etc. not because your invisible or can't be tracked but because it free's up resources and speeds up your computer.
5) Use Google Chrome, or firefox if you must, avoid safari and internet explorer.
6) Don't download suspicious emails. Ignore emails from people you don't know and if you get some rubbish email from a friend or family that says check this so forth. Delete it.
7) INSTALL AN ANTI-VIRUS and pay money for an actual version. Windows, OS X, Linux you are all vulnerable despite what you think. PC's are just a bigger target. If you're going to attack a cyber installation, what would you rather inflict: a few million or several billion casualties. That's rhetorical no need to explain your diabolical plan to take over the world.
8) Nothing is secure on the internet. Not your passwords, not your email accounts, facebook security (ROFL). The internet is the easiest place to get information and people will.
9) Almost anything short of hardware failure is recoverable. If you take care of your PC and it slows down. It's not broken. Just clean it up, run a virus scan, or wipe the HDD and reinstall the OS, which you should do once every year or two just for upkeeping. It's not a PC thing it's a I'm using technology thing.

Erm...  I love that you're on the Windows side of the fence, but...

2.  End process on a little popup?  <_<  That'd close your browser, and lose any information you're typing.  That's a little over the top.  You can feel safe to click the OUTSIDE MOST close button.  (I know what you're referring to, but, lulz.)

3.  HA!  They tricked you into thinking all torrents have viruses?  Torrents are fine, you just have to be careful.

4. You need your page file...  That's part of the virtual memory.  Cookies and History don't slow you down either.

5. Firefox is more secure than Chrome, with the right extensions.  And Google tracks everything done in Chrome.

6. Who uses a POP3/IMAP client anymore?  Unless you're on an Exchange server, your emails are online.  Just don't download attachments unless you're expecting them.

7. You don't need to buy an antivirus for it to be secure.  Avast!, Avira, AVG... All free and decent antivirus programs.  I'd never recommend paying for anything you can get for free.  They don't even work better...  <_<

8. Right... The internet is fine, take off your tinfoil hat.  Yes, your information isn't massively secure, but just don't put in your home address unless you're buying something.  Secure connections do exist for a reason, and those paranoid about banking or anything on a PC are just being idiots.

9. Well... A virus scan won't do you much if you're all slow.  Get Malwarebytes and scan with that.  Don't download/use registry cleaners.  Doing a reformat is evasive of the problem at hand, and usually not needed.

Quote:
Don't, don't don't,delete,use, don't, INSTALL,...... In Windows world you must behave according it's rules and RESTRICTIONS, otherwise something broke or something terrible happen. I will call it like this:

"don't ask what vista can do for you, ask vista what you can do."

it's 2010 and why the hell I can't move a window, that is frozen? in mac if something froze, it's just the program inside the window and I can move it where I want. In fact Windows still has several UI bugs and with its aggresive vision to be on every computer on Earth, no to be "cool" and usable, they just ignore it and they focus on selling. I hate that company.

Uhhh...  You CAN move frozen windows now.  And, in Macs, if something freezes, you get a kernel panic OR a never ending beachball.  OSX actually freezes and crashes more than Win7, not only at faults of the OS, but also at fault of their 'superior' hardware.

Does anyone in the 'Macs have superior hardware and support' camp want to explain this?
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2420192&tstart=0

The worst part about that is that Apple was aware of the problem, but wouldn't tell it's phone support/geniuses, and thus they had MANY MANY people send back their equipment when it was a software issue.

Quote:
Hybrys, I think you should go to your local computer discounter, pick up the cheapest netbook on sale that day, then take it home and install OSX on it. Think how impressed all the other kids at school will be when they see that you accomplished, for $300, what they paid $1200 for! You will bask in their admiration and your certain superiority and everything will run as seamlessly as it would on a Mac. Yeah, that should work. Let us know how that goes.

Tim

The $300 Dell Mini 10v (previous model) actually works FLAWLESSLY on OSX with just a retail disk.  Oh wait, I DO run OSX flawlessly on my $209 Acer AspireOne.

/yawn

Quote:
krmathis said:

So, bought a MacBook yet?
wink_face.gif

I'm still not sure.  As negative towards them as I'm being, I want to borrow one, or spend an afternoon on one at the very least, before I make a decision.  Tinkering in the OS on hardware it's meant to be on would be nice.

That said, I'm leaning towards a Quadro or 5870-based PC.  Just so much more power for the price.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #174 of 431
If Foxconn makes superior HW then Macs have superior HW because Foxconn makes the HW in Macs.
Foxconn does make decent HW this is the reason why many computer brands are full of Foxconn parts.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #175 of 431
Quote:
I know it's a bad idea; I was being sarcastic. Hybrys came here asking Mac people to justify the cost, and claiming to have an open mind. Then he proceeded to only listen to the pro Windows arguments, and made it clear that he has already decided to build a Hackintosh. He only came here to argue. I don't doubt that he knows that only a limited number of Windows machines are realistic candidates for hacking into running OSX. He probably already knows exactly what he has in mind. He started the thread in hopes of starting the senseless old argument that has been going on here for 12 pages now. I didn't think he really deserved a real response, so I threw a deliberate simplification of his own nonsense at him. I secretly hope he doesn't quite know what he's doing and stumbles into the sea of pain and problems a Hackintosh can cause. Of course he would only blame OSX.

Tim

Uhuh.  If you can't tell, I'm actually picking on the unrealistic/stupid statements from both Windows users, AND PC users.  I'm sorry that you feel I'm making good points, and thus you come in and try to 'uncover' me.

Hope it feels good, bro.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #177 of 431
Quote:
If Foxconn makes superior HW then Macs have superior HW because Foxconn makes the HW in Macs.
Foxconn does make decent HW this is the reason why many computer brands are full of Foxconn parts.

Wouldn't that then mean that all those computer brands are equal to Macs?

Also, Foxconn does NOT have a good rep with motherboards.  I'd trust an ASUS mobo over a Foxconn ANY day.  Infact, I think they don't even make consumer motherboards anymore, because they were that bad.  Worse than Biostar.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #178 of 431

Quote:
Wouldn't that then mean that all those computer brands are equal to Macs?

Also, Foxconn does NOT have a good rep with motherboards.  I'd trust an ASUS mobo over a Foxconn ANY day.  Infact, I think they don't even make consumer motherboards anymore, because they were that bad.  Worse than Biostar.

Well cooling, motherboard layout and chassis strength is very important as well.
Flexing of the motherboard will kill it over time, poor cooling will cause instabilities and a poor motherboard layout makes it difficult to make a good chassis with good cooling.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #179 of 431

Why did you start this thread again? Because you thought you might consider a Mac even though you're already running a Hackintosh and you've already made up your mind? Can you say trolling? You uncover yourself.

Quote:
 Oh wait, I DO run OSX flawlessly on my $209 Acer AspireOne.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #180 of 431
Well, okay, it's not flawless.  I have no Quartz access, and I can't update.  (They removed support for Atom processors a while back.)  It's also NOT a legal copy, since I had to use a modified installer, and I don't like having an illegal OS.

If I was trolling, there'd be a lot more fanboys mad than just you.  I'm GENERALLY concerned, because everyone in my field of work uses the same computer/OS, and I can't figure out why.  If there was a good reason, I'd buy a Macbook today.  It's not like I don't have the money, and I'm just arguing because I'm bitter.  Battery and form factor aren't good enough reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back