Why buy a Macbook?
Jun 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #181 of 431
Why don't you ask people in your field that are using it? You have your own opinion and this discussion is going nowhere. This is my last post here.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #182 of 431

Quote:
Well, okay, it's not flawless.  I have no Quartz access, and I can't update.  (They removed support for Atom processors a while back.)  It's also NOT a legal copy, since I had to use a modified installer, and I don't like having an illegal OS.

If I was trolling, there'd be a lot more fanboys mad than just you.  I'm GENERALLY concerned, because everyone in my field of work uses the same computer/OS, and I can't figure out why.  If there was a good reason, I'd buy a Macbook today.  It's not like I don't have the money, and I'm just arguing because I'm bitter.  Battery and form factor aren't good enough reasons.

There also people in your field who have bought Macs because "they're good for audio" rather than carefully weighing pros and cons. There are also people who weighed the pros and cons and got Macs because they fit their needs better. I've got several friends who in the audio and video fields and it's a mix of Windows and Mac users, skewing maybe to 70% Mac users. 

As someone with a technical background who likes using Windows, I see no reason why you wouldn't be happiest sticking with Windows. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #183 of 431
You buy Macs for the software.  You buy Windows for the software.

In other words...

You buy Windows for the software.  You buy Mac for the software.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #185 of 431
Quote:
It's also NOT a legal copy, since I had to use a modified installer, and I don't like having an illegal OS.

How to sooth your guilty conscience from running a hackintosh

1.  Go to your local Apple store

2.  Buy the most expensive OSX upgrade they have.

3.  Proudly display it on you mantle as a symbol of you personal integrity.

Now it's only a breach of contract that will probably won't hold up in court anyway, and not a violation of copyright that actually will! (for the time being anyway)

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #186 of 431
Quote:
How to sooth your guilty conscience from running a hackintosh

1.  Go to your local Apple store

2.  Buy the most expensive OSX upgrade they have.

3.  Proudly display it on you mantle as a symbol of you personal integrity.

Now it's only a breach of contract that will probably won't hold up in court anyway, and not a violation of copyright that actually will! (for the time being anyway)

lulz.  Win.

It doesn't work well enough to spend the money on it.  I just like supporting the OS I use.  <_<

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #187 of 431

Quote:
OSX actually freezes and crashes more than Win7, not only at faults of the OS, but also at fault of their 'superior' hardware.

Does anyone in the 'Macs have superior hardware and support' camp want to explain this?
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2420192&tstart=0

Windows 7 obviously has a lot of freezing problems too; the difference is when you need support there are no cop outs about driver issues or incompatible hardware. Apple designs, controls, and brands all of their hardware, and guarantees it to work with all of their software. There is nothing like AppleCare in the the WinTel universe, and they simply cannot compete with Apple when it comes to customer satisfaction and support after the sale.

Just because Apple is so much better at marketing and making a profit, is no reason to equate them with Skull Candy/Bose, as they are genuinely offering a better user experience as well as superior utility. If you need to build your own system in order to play the most demanding games, Windows may be better for you. But if you want to actually want to be productive, Macs are certainly worth their premium pricepoint, which is why they continue to gain market share. In other words, you gets what you pays for.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #188 of 431

Quote:
Just because Apple is so much better at marketing and making a profit, is no reason to equate them with Skull Candy/Bose, as they are genuinely offering a better user experience as well as superior utility. If you need to build your own system in order to play the most demanding games, Windows may be better for you. But if you want to actually want to be productive, Macs are certainly worth their premium pricepoint, which is why they continue to gain market share. In other words, you gets what you pays for.

Back that up, MacBooks don't even have swappable drive bays or docking stations, and what brand does JPL/NASA use on ISS again? http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-119/hires/iss018e041496.jpg

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #189 of 431
Quote:
There also people in your field who have bought Macs because "they're good for audio" rather than carefully weighing pros and cons. There are also people who weighed the pros and cons and got Macs because they fit their needs better. I've got several friends who in the audio and video fields and it's a mix of Windows and Mac users, skewing maybe to 70% Mac users. 

As someone with a technical background who likes using Windows, I see no reason why you wouldn't be happiest sticking with Windows. 

It seems to me that you have successfully countered your own argument. I find it interesting that even though Windows still enjoys over 80% of the mass market, A/V professionals have reversed the trend with Macs getting 70% of their professional market, after "carefully weighing pros and cons". Hmm, why could that be, TV commercials perhaps? I don't think so!

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #190 of 431

Quote:
Back that up, MacBooks don't even have swappable drive bays or docking stations, and what brand does JPL/NASA use on ISS again? http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-119/hires/iss018e041496.jpg

I'm sure that if Apple would let anybody build hardware to run OSX on, there would be machines with swappable drives and docking stations. But there would be no guarantee that they would work with the OS, and if you had problems you would get the "circular blame" runaround, where the hardware would blame the software, and the software would blame the hardware, and you would be left in the cold to fend for yourself.

Additionally, who cares what JPL/NASA uses on the ISS? In the real world, Google dumped Windows for being insecure:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d2f3f04e-6ccf-11df-91c8-00144feab49a.html

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #191 of 431

Quote:

Who cares what JPL/NASA uses?

In the real world, Google dumped Windoze for being unstable and insecure:
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2010/06/google-dumps-windows-because-of-security-holes/1

Because JPL/NASA only use the best the world has to offer, but yes that was a bit of a silly move from my part :-S

The only reason I have Windows installed beside my Linux Mint installation is to play games and use FL Studio, the world would be a better place if no one had to deal with the hassle of closed source OS'es, way to go Android.
Unfortunately M$ pretty much controls the gaming market through D3D and have a stranglehold on PC users by cramming their crap down peoples throats.
Google has had a strained relationship with M$ for quite a while, that would have a baring on google's decision as well, big corps are not exactly known to tell the hole story.

But all this has nothing to do with Mac's and better productivity.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #192 of 431
Quote:

Windows 7 obviously has a lot of freezing problems too; the difference is when you need support there are no cop outs about driver issues or incompatible hardware. Apple designs, controls, and brands all of their hardware, and guarantees it to work with all of their software. There is nothing like AppleCare in the the WinTel universe, and they simply cannot compete with Apple when it comes to customer satisfaction and support after the sale.

Over and over and over people spew these idiotic notions.

For one, I've never had Win7 freeze, with a variety of random and troublesome hardware.  And since we're talking laptops, Win7 doesn't fall to the problem of unsupported drivers.  But OSX does.

For two, there are things like AppleCare.  All AppleCare is is a warranty extension, which MOST OEM retailers or builders provide (IE: Acer, ASUS, Dell, and HP all offer warranty extensions.  FutureShop, Best Buy, and the like also offer third party warranties.)  Support is even more vastly available, since you can get Windows general help (for free) from FutureShop, Best Buy, Radio Shack, London Drugs, and many many others, where as Apple will only train people in licensed Apple Stores.  I've only heard BAD things about support from Apple.  Like how tight lipped the company is, making massive errors in diagnostics by not allowing new information to spread.  Or how they refused the iPhone 4, because no-one knew it was stolen (except for the fact that Apple higher ups knew, since it was remote wiped.)  Or how they refused to fix my sisters faulty HDD outside of warranty, then posted an out of warranty extension for laptops with those HDDs two weeks later.

That article is totally biased.  If you counted OS sales only, Microsoft would be cleaning up Apple, probably 20 fold.  Since Apple also sells hardware, and phones, and MP3 players, and does those better than Microsoft.

The 'you get what you pay for' is absolutely insane.  What do I gain by paying $3200 for a laptop, that I don't get when paying $1600 for a laptop?  Same warranty, cheaper one has better hardware, similar manufacturers, same support, and most of the same software...  Really, tell me, what does it have to offer?  What justifies the price?  The massively overhyped battery?  (Which, BTW, was debunked many many times to be similar to PC laptops if you're doing anything that engages the video card.)  The casing?  (Which I think is ugly.  If they still had the black MBPs, I would think differently)

Tell me what's so superior that I have to pay twice as much?

Ugh, fanboys kill me.  I'm out, gonna buy a PC.  Have fun fellas.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #193 of 431
Quote:
l
In the real world, Google dumped Windows for being insecure:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d2f3f04e-6ccf-11df-91c8-00144feab49a.html

That's not really a good example.  Google and Microsoft are competitors and Google is full of brilliant coders who can make it possible to do whatever they need to do on any OS.

It's almost like saying that Chevys suck because Ford stopped buying them.  That's not the best analogy, but its close enough for government work.

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #194 of 431

Quote:
Well, okay, it's not flawless.  I have no Quartz access, and I can't update.  (They removed support for Atom processors a while back.)  It's also NOT a legal copy, since I had to use a modified installer, and I don't like having an illegal OS.

If I was trolling, there'd be a lot more fanboys mad than just you.  I'm GENERALLY concerned, because everyone in my field of work uses the same computer/OS, and I can't figure out why.  If there was a good reason, I'd buy a Macbook today.  It's not like I don't have the money, and I'm just arguing because I'm bitter.  Battery and form factor aren't good enough reasons.

You're absolutely right. Everyone in your chosen field uses Mac/OSX and you can't figure out why. Enjoy being the only smart guy in your class. 

Tim

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #195 of 431

Quote:

All AppleCare is is a warranty extension, which MOST OEM retailers or builders provide... I've only heard BAD things about support from Apple.

I'm out, gonna buy a PC.

It's not the same kind warranty and support. If you have problems and need your OEM extended warranty, good luck convincing them that you problems are not the OS's fault, unless your machine has become a smoking blob of ruin.

Also, do you have any facts to back up "what you hear" regarding your customer support allegations? Apple is number one in that category, and it's not even close.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/17/apple-tops-pc-customer-service-rankings/

Anyways, good luck with your PC, you're going to need it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back