Why aren't 'The Doobie Brothers' as revered as some?
Jan 10, 2008 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Ingo

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm listening to the Doob's "The Captain and Me" album right now (one of my favorite classic rock albums) and I just can't see how I don't hear them mentioned along side the other great classic rockers very often. Why is that?

EDIT - OOPS COULD SOMEONE MOVE THIS OVER TO MUSIC?

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 21
Much like Radiohead or the Eagles or Oasis, The Doobie Brothers have music which on listening to I know that I should like, and can understand the appeal of, but which oddly just doesn't do anything for me.

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 21
in head-fi specifically it's because they are a great singles band and not so much a great album band.

I.E. my most listened to doobies is a playlist from various albums, my most listened to radiohead-kid a, rolling stones- exile on main street, van morrison- astral weeks

BTW, long train runnin is one my all time fave songs

Jan 11, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, long train runnin is one my all time fave songs

Mine too!! I love it, [size=x-small]great [/size]intro. My other fave by them was 'Listen to the music'.

I think Johnston was on vocals then, a year or two before Michael McDonald joined and 'souled' it up too much for my liking.

Didn't listen to them much after that as the whole sound changed.

Jan 11, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 21
For me it could be overkill from early childhood (a.m. radio in the rear speakers of the station wagon) to now (classic rock stations). Plus they kind of blow. Michael McDonald (that's his name?) sounds constipated. "What A Fool Believes" (or whatever's the name of that song) taints their entire oeuvre

It's pretty arbitrary, but I feel like I dislike the Doobies for similar reasons to why I dislike The Eagles and James Taylor. And don't get me started on Jimmy Buffet. It's hard to be mellow without being lame.

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 21
"The Captain and Me" is a great album IMO. I have several Doobie Bros albums and usually have one saved on my player. They had a lot of air time years ago, but I never got tired of them.

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine too!! I love it, [size=x-small]great [/size]I think Johnston was on vocals then, a year or two before Michael McDonald joined and 'souled' it up too much for my liking.

Didn't listen to them much after that as the whole sound changed.

I think you're on to something. The Doobie's are like two different bands - the first pretty much straight ahead rock under Johnston, the other a kind of r & b influenced pop/rock under McDonald.

I actually like both equally, and especially McDonald's smokey vocals. Having said that, the differences between the two styles is just too jarring, too significant for the band to have any kind of uniform identity.

And I think that limits their appeal for most folks.

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 21
why would anyone buy a Doobie Bros. album? Greatest Hits cd is where its at
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're on to something. The Doobie's are like two different bands

I know. It's kind of like the difference (although not as huge) between the old Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green) - and the 'new' Fleetwood Mac. The styles are not even similar. And although Mick Fleetwood's still with the 'new' Mac. . . the fact is they have a whole new sound, they should have called themselves Fleetwood or something to highlight the fact it wasn't the same band/sound anymore.

And McDonald's voice was very very different to Johnston, much more soul oriented which really marked the change for me.

I think the only band to get away with changing vocalists (successfully) was Genesis. I barely remember the changeover!

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why would anyone buy a Doobie Bros. album? Greatest Hits cd is where its at
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, they are only $2.00 at the record store.

I can see everyone's point about these guys. I've never even listened to McDonald era Doobies. I'll go ahead and stick with the first four albums.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Nothing against him, but if I hear 'Yah Mo B There' one more time, I'm going to 'yah mo burn' this place to the ground!"

That's just plain entertaining. I had a good chuckle.
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the only band to get away with changing vocalists (successfully) was Genesis.

You forget Van Halen. And to tie this into the Doobie Brothers thread....Michael McDonald is now listed as a co-writer of Van Halen's "I'll Wait" on the remastered CD of "1984".

I too like both versions of the band, but I prefer the Michael McDonald version more. The sound is more sophisticated and certainly sounded a lot smoother. They're excellent live and you guys should definitely check out their concert video....especially with Michael McDonald sitting in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back