Why Are There So few Headamps Based on 300B Tubes?
Mar 26, 2004 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

BoyElroy

500+ Head-Fier
Pardon my ignorance if I'm way off on this, but I'm curious why there seem to be so few 300B SET tube amps designed for headphones. I'd imagine that a relatively low powered 7 or 10 watt 300B amp would be pretty ideal for driving 'phones. I know that Manley and Cary have a couple of models between them, but there doesn't seem to be much beyond these.

Anyone have any info. on this?

TIA--

Mar 26, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 19
probably because most headphones need less than a watt.

just my guess though...

Mar 27, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 19
Probably more because a good set of 300B's would cost more than several dedicated headphone amps all added up together.

That being said, the Cary 300sei makes for an absolutely wonderful headphone amp, imo. At least bozebuttons' headphone-only modified one does.

Mar 27, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 19
goose and jpelg are correct.

All headphones don't need that much power and 300Bs are relatively expensive tubes. You'd be better off with 2A3s.

Mar 27, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
goose and jpelg are correct.

All headphones don't need that much power and 300Bs are relatively expensive tubes. You'd be better off with 2A3s.

Then again, 2A3 don't sound like 300B
wink.gif

More than anything, it's the price that's holding back the production of 300B only headphone amps. I'd imagine they wouldn't be able to sell very many headphone amps at the price.

Mar 27, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 19
Thanks for the fast response, everyone. So I guess there's no practical reason not to make my own dedicated 300B SET headamp, then. Maybe add a diy "impedanzer" and I should be "set"
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by darkclouds
wink.gif

True but that's a matter of taste.

I do use 300B with my K1000s though.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

BoyElroy, it's too late for you to join the May NYC head-fi meet as the room/places are filled but get on the standby list just in case. Maybe you'll be lucky. THere might even be some 300B action there.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=64328

Mar 27, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 19
Yeah, it must be cost. and yet I find myself asking the question as well. The cary 300 sei has been my favorite amp so far, Im sure a good part of it is the tube itself.

At the same time, theres quite a few cheaper 300b amps. Not what wed here call economical, but there are some 1k amps and 1.5k monoblocks roaming around. For me, its all a question of how much is the tube and how much is the amp(comparing to my reference the 300sei). It could sound way different, or it could sound very similar.

k.s.

Mar 27, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 19
BoyElroy,

I'd agree that cost is the one limiting factor for the lack of 300B headphone amps out there.

However, if you're going to design your own amp, how about trying the 45 tube. According to some discussion on AA they seem to think that all else being equal the 45 tube sounds better than the 300B, the problem being the lack of output from the 45. With headphones thats not a huge problem.

Anyway, good luck.

Mar 27, 2004 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

That might be a good thing! First I'll admit to have never heard 300B & 2A3 side by side or 300B with headphones. 300B's tend to have a warmer, tubier sound due to top and bottom roll off. From what I have heard a good 300B is a rather addictive sound as it's very easy to listen to, but some (not all) find the sound to be "bloated". 2A3's don't have the roll off and are very musical, perhaps better suited to detail which I like in headphones. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mar 27, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by kentamcolin
That might be a good thing! First I'll admit to have never heard 300B & 2A3 side by side or 300B with headphones. 300B's tend to have a warmer, tubier sound due to top and bottom roll off. From what I have heard a good 300B is a rather addictive sound as it's very easy to listen to, but some (not all) find the sound to be "bloated". 2A3's don't have the roll off and are very musical, perhaps better suited to detail which I like in headphones. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, you're wrong!
wink.gif

What you describe is a sound from typical 'average' 300B amp from the 70s and bad design from today!.

There's not so much 300B headhamp 'cause yes it's expensive, it has always been with 300B amp in general. IMO the price of the tubes is less a problem with headphones amp as you will never need more than a pair. It is also a tube famous for being difficult to drive, thus resulting in poor design and 'poor' sound. 300B at it best is something you need to hear to believe, and once you heard it right, you cannot go back to any other tubes, period. And you just want everything's made with that tube!
In fact this triode is the more linear of all tubes ever made. You can have flat freq. response from a few hertz to ultrasonics...if the design is good.
Don't blame the tube, blame the designer.
tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #14 of 19
Cayin(aka Spark, Audio Space) makes one, but aint cheap! Especially w/ 4 x 300Bs $2.4K list. The stock tubes are ok, Sovteks?, but replace with EATs at $800/pair and well you get the picture $4K for a 300B integrated amp with decent headphone out. (for kicks will try and A/B against the stealth with both stock and EATs), but doubt an accessory headphone jack will compete, but believe the rest of the output will e.g. speakers, of course mixing components pre vs integrated.

Mar 28, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Well Ken, we wouldnt know since you havent written a review of the si2a3 yet!

Yes, I probably owe a review. Problem is I've never really done a "review" and it would be a tall order indeed to review this amp after reading reviews of other amps priced as low as $200 and called "divine" or "awesome". All the good verbs have been used. I'll be getting together with a few folks tomorrow at Ray Samuels' place to share a listen so you can all get some more impressions, and Tuberoller did an excellent job describing the music it makes when he stopped by a few weeks ago. I hope as many of you as possible get to hear this amp at future Chicago area meets to hear how special it is. I also hope to have the chance to hear a good 300B design as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back