Why are there no horn headphones?
Apr 13, 2004 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

GlowWorm

Headphoneus Supremus
I know there are dynamic, and electrostatic headphones, but why no horn-loaded headphones? It seems like it would theoretically possible to produce them. It would be cool to get a taste of good horn-loaded speakers (like Avantgarde, ect.) in the form of headphones, maybe something like the K1000, but with horns?

Apr 13, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 41
Hmm....most horns need a lens for it to work properly...
Yes, you can make a horn headphone, but they will be HUGE. Imagine a headphone w/ lens for the horns...

Of course if you can customer build the world's smallest horn speakers made for headphones, then you should be able to place these inside a fairly nice sized cans. Otherwise, it'll be huge.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wonder if you can build and make a nice TL speaker for headphones...

Apr 13, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 41
by nature, horns need alot of air. they use the horn between the coil driving unit and the air to transfer energy to the air more efficiently. you also get an un even dispersion of air from the different sized horns so.. yeah

it just wont work very efficiently as a headphone

Apr 13, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 41
When you buy avantgarde, they give you fully functional minihorns.

I'm sure with some coat-hanger bending and the right amp you could turn them into headphones.
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 41
Efficiency and directionality are the main reasons for using horns, but in headphones, I just don't see those are major issues. And size, of course.

I've not really seen a compact horn with a full reproduction range, either....(<sarcasm>I wonder why?</sarcasm>).

Apr 13, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 41
Get some 2x4s, measure the distance you want these speakers to your ears, build a box, drop your horn driven speakers in the box. Mount the setup on a helmet, strap it on your head.

Bingo, horn driven headphones.

Apr 13, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Lostlamb
Get some 2x4s, measure the distance you want these speakers to your ears, build a box, drop your horn driven speakers in the box. Mount the setup on a helmet, strap it on your head.

Bingo, horn driven headphones.

LOL! I guess if you ask a silly question (though not intentionally) you get a silly answer.
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 41
I bet a dual-driver multi folded-horn headphone would be possible. Lookat the Avantgarde SOLO - folded horn with a separate bass driver (bass horns need to be... pretty big). Wouldn't make much sense for a headphone, but I bet with enough engineering $ it could be done fairly well. Will it ever be done? Doubtful.

-dd3mon

Apr 14, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #15 of 41
Someone should try replacing the driver cups on their Grado PS-1 with horn cups...or maybe some nice bone.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back