Why are Grado phones so expensive in Europe?
Aug 21, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #61 of 84
I suffered from this scenario very recently. I was looking for a new toy, and decided on the Denon AH-D5000s. I thought, from what had been said on here and in reviews, that it'd be an awesome purchase and one that I'd live with for many years to come.

But pricing them up - ouch! I've seen them for $400 and even less in the States, but Denon wouldn't honour any warranty claims from here in the UK.

Dealers in the UK wanted between £430($807) and £550($1032).

I wrote an email to Denon USA, enquiring about the price difference. They replied within the hour and said I'd have to take it up with the UK office - superb service, IMO. I emailed the UK office within the hour. 2 Weeks later, I've had zero response to my query.

What did I do? I went elsewhere, and ordered a brand-new Stax rig, retailing at £1000($1877). Denon can get bent. Their outrageous pricing and poor customer support has lost them a customer for life, regardless of what they produce in years to come.

If you're unhappy with the pricing strategy of a company, use your feet and go elsewhere. It's the only thing you can do to demonstrate your dissatisfaction with their practises.

~Phewl.

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #62 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since we talk about Europe here I guess those prices are from a store in the European side of Istanbul...
Cause as we know the rest of Istanbul and Turkey are part of Asia.
wink.gif

Great to see that some distributors/dealers are not that greedy though. Selling Grado for close to US prices..

Yes, they are from a store in the European part, actually there are 2 other stores that offer close prices which are located in the Asian part. Interesting thing about these stores in Turkey is that they only sell online, they don't have a solid store building where I can go and audition the cans
confused_face.gif

Anyway, if I buy from the 'European part store' they can ship the cans to anywhere in Turkey no matter where.
[size=xx-small]
[size=x-small]And I can send them to any fellas in Europe
wink.gif
(And it's not illegal in my perception)
[/size][/size]

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But what about the Turkey? Whats the deal with their prices? If they really are EU distributors they are using, who the hell is leeching in other EU countries? That is still a question I want an answer. A feeling, despite being hardcore fan, that Im being leeched is not what I particularly like.

I guess this might be the case: The stores in Turkey have employees that go to US, buy lot of Grados and take them back here, sell them without any addition of after-EU-distributor-VATs..

There comes no other logical explanations to my mind but the fact that EU distributors are mere leechers
mad.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #63 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please enlighten us then on clear economics. Seriously, dissect the flaws, provide "real-life" logic and put your money where your mouth is.

Back before the interweb with all its tubes etc...there were these places called STORES. These STORES consisted of walls, concrete, wires, electricity and PEOPLE. Customers would have to walk into such establishments converse with the personel and enter into a contract in person. Exchange of cash/credit for the item desired etc etc

Grado does not advertise. The only means of advertising for Grado was and still is presence in stores. Be they webfronts or B&M stores. 15 years ago magazine reviews or shelf space was the only means of seeing a Grado. Being a small company, the only way to ensure shelf space in other countries was to negotiate with a distributor who would help get them in stores.

so that means that they can charge what ever the hell they wont, as that increases their competitiveness and makes them more well known. right, cos that makes perfect sense.

Quote:

Distributor A negotiates a price with Grado. The deal is done. Distributor A then negotiates a price with Dealers X Y and Z with a set minimum advertised retail price in a given territorty. Done.

If distributor A tries to gain access to Distributor B's territory, sparks fly, so each territory has their own Distributor and dealer network and Grado negotiates entry into that network without stepping on the toes of another territory.

Exactly, the whole idea of territories is against fundamental economics. many, many companies, both big and small have realised that the whole world is one area. protectionism will only lead to bad things.

Quote:

The logic is clear, if items are not stocked, they are not seen, if they are not seen they are not heard. If they are not heard they are not sold and there goes international sales for Grados.

I am sorry, but i highly doubt that in this modern day and age, anyone who has heard of grado has not heard of the internet. your logic presumes that B&M stores are the only way to get grados, or to even have heard of them. any, and all new customers (cos they are the only ones to be considered) will most definately have either heard of them either via the internet, or through a publication., if by a remote chance they did see them in a store, they cant try it out, so they would try and go look it up, thus leading to other retailers. so no, you dont have to charge high prices to get them known.

Quote:

Yes the web changed things. However, we don't know the length of time each contract was for and we also don't know how many headphones are sold online vs. in stores. There is a good chance that store sales far outpace online sales worldwide for Grados. Head-fi is popular for sure, but it is a drop in the buckeet in the high-end market place. We aren't even a blip on most companies' radar.

no we dont know that, but we can make educated guesses, using logic. the only reason that stores may outsell online outside the USA is because there is little sales, and only large B&M can afford to stock low sale items.

Quote:

Oh, but I forgot, there is no "real-life" logic there. Just real logic. My mistake.

the only mistake was writing real instead of no.
tongue.gif

Quote:

For all you folks complaining about Grado, how about EAR-Yoshino gear? My HP4 in Canada? Are you ready? $6500 CAD MSRP. Because it is a special order item, it is hardly ever marked down. One would need to be close with the dealer to get a good price. Cost in UK? 2200. Right...Grado is evil and is doing something no other company does.

you seem to think that just because someone does something wrong, others are allowed to as well. the reason grado is mentioned time and time again is because more people want to buy them, than say something worth 2 grand. and even with the exchange rates, and not including VAT, shipping etc, that is a 50% mark up on the HP4 mentioned, rather than the often 150% mark up on grados. grados are rare only and only because they are made to be.

Quote:

Oh btw, EAR is one of the biggest private audio companies in the world and is also one of the most esteemed. They also sell the vast majority of their stuff in person. Not online. That's first hand info from Tim after I spoke with him on the phone.

Because they sell high end gear. somehow, even the GS1000 doesnt compare to something worth 5 times the price. People who spend taht kind of money expect person to person contact. i dont expect when i want to spend 30 or 40 quid on a pair of SR60s.

Quote:

International items cost more and that sucks. All other headphone companies are INTERNATIONAL corporations with offices in many countries. Grado is singled out here (perhaps only joined by Westone and Etymotic, IEM manufacturers) because they are not an international company and therefore must have a different strategy to stay in the market. I would rather them stay alive than lose their distribution overseas and have them pack up and go under. They almost did, John saved the company and made it stronger than ever.

exactly how are companies international, oh because they CHOSE to be, just like grado chose not to be. I would also rather have them stay alive, but that doesn't mean that extorting international consumers is the way to do it. They can always expand. I understand that they dont want to, and that they can charge high prices because they have the sales they want and expect, but that doesn't mean that it is right for the consumer. And don't say you can go spend money elsewhere, because that is exactly what most of us already do.

BTW, sorry if i appear to be rude, I am not trying to be.
redface.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #64 of 84
I can confirm I got two pairs (SR60, SR80) shipped from an aforementioned store free shipping, taxless, to NZ (we have no import taxes under NZ$400 total order, which is su-freaking-purb... but you can't get anything over about $250USD for that now
frown.gif
).

I'm damn glad that some stores are willing to, at least for a while, bend the rules. The distributors in NZ don't give them to stores - all the local Hifi stores down here who used to stock grado no longer do because people just don't want to buy them at over twice their US price when AKGs and Senns are much, much cheaper. $200US for a pair of Sr-60s in a store? Yeah right.

Still, Sennheiser are guilty of it with the 280 Pro. $~225US retail here - no stores will sell them for less. I got 4 pairs from amazon for only a little more than that and sold them as second hand goods!

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #65 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so that means that they can charge what ever the hell they wont, as that increases their competitiveness and makes them more well known. right, cos that makes perfect sense.

No. That is not what I wrote, you are creating a straw man. I mentioned contracts. Before the internet, Grado had contracts with distributors. We don't know how long those contracts are for. If they are 20 year contracts for instance, then Grado can't legally back out of them. You and I have no idea what the situation is save for the fact that existing contracts are in effect, Grado actually makes LESS selling outside of the US and that historically, distributor/dealerships were the best way to make money. If metrics do not exist to indicate without a doubt that a company will make more going all out online, torching old ways, then we can't fault any company for not heading in new directions. I don't have the data, nor do you. That is my point. Grado is not unique in using this method of selling gear.

Quote:

Exactly, the whole idea of territories is against fundamental economics. many, many companies, both big and small have realised that the whole world is one area. protectionism will only lead to bad things.

It isn't against fundamental economics. It is against A fundamental IN economics with a PARTICULAR goal in mind. That goal usually is to proliferate like a virus increasing revenue and lowering costs any way possible in order to ensure the highest margins for investors. This is distinct from a family run business with a certain goal in mind. World domination is not one of those goals. Protecionism ISN'T leading to bad things obviously, save for a few vocal complainers on Head-fi. Like others have said, buy used, travel to a cheaper country and buy there or buy something else. The world CAN be one area, but it isn't and it shouldn't always be considered that way. Homogenizing all economies, all countries and all cultures is plain wrong in my books and from a philosopher's point of view, I'm not alone. Again, a paradigm shift in doing business would have to happen for Grado. Rabid marketing, perpetual changes in product lines, expansion in R&D etc etc. You know what? It's actually okay that John Grado wants to enjoy his success the way it is now and pass on a succeeding company to his sons while enjoying that transition with as little stress as possible. He is in his 50's, if he can think about retiring that might be what he is interested in vs. thinking about essentially building his company up in a way that is not interesting to him. Money isn't everything and he has his principles accurately aligned in my mind.

Quote:

I am sorry, but i highly doubt that in this modern day and age, anyone who has heard of grado has not heard of the internet. your logic presumes that B&M stores are the only way to get grados, or to even have heard of them.

No not at all. Again, it is the same straw man. I'm not presuming anything at all actually. What I'm clearly stating is that we have no idea how long such contracts have existed and how long they extend. Moreover, he doesn't advertise, hitting up some "boards" isn't exactly a great way to have a flourishing business. Sure, word of mouth is great, but MOST people don't want to buy without hearing. Before the net, that meant folks had to walk into a store and see and hear the product. That meant the "old ways" of distributor/dealer.

Quote:

any, and all new customers (cos they are the only ones to be considered) will most definately have either heard of them either via the internet, or through a publication., if by a remote chance they did see them in a store, they cant try it out, so they would try and go look it up, thus leading to other retailers. so no, you dont have to charge high prices to get them known.

We should never exclude older customers who might have heard a retro Grado a decade ago, or a current user who wants to change up to something else. In an ideal world, a person buying gear would get to audition it first. You are right, most people interested in high end phones like a Grado product will have read about it online or in a magazine. However, there are A LOT of people who don't buy this way. They shop in real stores and sit and listen. Without distributor assurances that dealer A won't be undercutting B by an extreme margin, dealers will simply not stock them and there you have lost sales. Now I never once said anything about high prices. What I said was selling online and breaking down the networks isn't a sure thing nor might it be a wise thing to even test. That said, it might not even be legally possible to do so yet in many areas. Finally, as for various dealers charging a lot, if contracts existed during the days when the US dollar was insanely high so a MSRP was instituted in the contract, then that is the advertised price. It is up to the individual DEALERS to understand currency fluctuations and offer customers better deals or discounts. Grado enforces the advertising of a MSRP but never not once has come down on someone offering discounts to customers. One is legal the other is not.

no we dont know that, but we can make educated guesses, using logic. the only reason that stores may outsell online outside the USA is because there is little sales, and only large B&M can afford to stock low sale items.[/qupte]

An educated guess is wonderful for academics but HORRIBLE for businessmen. You try pulling up a company out of the deep red and then ask yourself, would you after years of struggle, attempt to jeopardize the company? If the answer for John is no, then that is a very understandable no! I live in Canada. Our dollar is nearly at par with the US, for while we were even worth a bit more. Did the Grados in Canada drop significantly? At some stores yes! At others, no. The smaller stores, hoping to make a sale any way possible, did adjust for the exchange rate, but even now, the cost is still about $100 more just because we are in Canada.

As for your argument that only big stores are making the sales, perhaps that is true. But perhaps not. YOU HAVE NO DATA! This is what is irking me the most in these types of threads. A lot of hot air is blown without any real data, just theories on how the world works, on how it should work and how Grado should fall in line with whatever theory is put forward by the poster. This is great from a first year student with a single macroeconomics course under the belt but it is absolutely amateur and illogical thinking from the point of a sucessful business man, parent, husband, employer etc.

Quote:

the only mistake was writing real instead of no.
tongue.gif

Well, so long as we are dealing with realism instead of idealism, my "real logic" is the way the world actually works, and the hypotheticals put forward are merely hot desires by folks without all the data. Anyone making a strong argument which necessitates data which is absent uses no logic. I'm waiting for your metrics.

Quote:

you seem to think that just because someone does something wrong, others are allowed to as well. the reason grado is mentioned time and time again is because more people want to buy them, than say something worth 2 grand. and even with the exchange rates, and not including VAT, shipping etc, that is a 50% mark up on the HP4 mentioned, rather than the often 150% mark up on grados. grados are rare only and only because they are made to be.

Um...no offense but your math is horrible. UK = 2200, Canada = 6500. If you don't include VAT and shipping...we are still talking 3x the cost! That IS TWICE THE 150% markup. Dude, if you want to continue arguing your point, at least get the math straight. The HP4, if bought in Canada has the SAME markup you folks are complaining about in some European countries on Grado products. There are a lot of people who would buy the EAR if it was readily available in North America for $2200. The cheapest I've seen it? Headroom, at $4k, and it used to be $5k.

And as for doing something wrong...I'm not defending a "wrong" practice, I'm stating that there is a practice, that some are very offended by, and I'm trying to relay the fact that 1) we don't know what the original contract details, 2) Grado makes less on sales outside of the US so this is no massive profiteering for him 3) we can't be certain that arranging business strategies any other way would benefit him.

1) Would be near impossible to get details on
2) Is a fact revealed to us.
3) We know from experience (Headroom) that selling online is VERY VERY hard. Headroom nearly went under at one point and struggled for a long time. Headroom is THE name in headphone amps. They are Web only point of sales and they sell pretty well every type of headphone. The internet is not a sure fire way of getting rich. Moreover, it might tank a business.

Quote:

Because they sell high end gear. somehow, even the GS1000 doesnt compare to something worth 5 times the price. People who spend taht kind of money expect person to person contact. i dont expect when i want to spend 30 or 40 quid on a pair of SR60s.

Okay, fair enough, though I wouldn't argue this for everyone. Your unique impression of necessary person to person contact with a listening period is distinct from someone else. There are those that would want to hear it no matter what the cost. But that isn't the point. You can order online within your country, you can buy without talking to anyone. What you can't do is order from the US. There is a distinction here that needs to be made. My point is merely that the B&M network the predates the web was the established method of selling items. This is the same means Grado uses predominantly and we don't know how long they have their contracts for with the individual distributors or whether it would be good to sever or alter them significantly to permit online inter-territorial selling.

I paid $147 for my SR60's in 1997. Double what they cost in the US. I bought the RA-1 for $600 in 2001, double what it costs in the US. I'm not some guy who hasn't been stung by the high prices. When I bought the RS-1's in 2001, I couldn't afford the $1k asking price at the time (I was lucky to get them at 1k with taxes in, vs the 1200 + taxes they were MSRP'd at). I could however afford the $400 USD (600 converted to CAD) at the time so I bought used. I wanted them badly enough to go the used route.

Quote:

exactly how are companies international, oh because they CHOSE to be, just like grado chose not to be. I would also rather have them stay alive, but that doesn't mean that extorting international consumers is the way to do it. They can always expand. I understand that they dont want to, and that they can charge high prices because they have the sales they want and expect, but that doesn't mean that it is right for the consumer. And don't say you can go spend money elsewhere, because that is exactly what most of us already do.

Grado does not charge the high prices. They charge less to the international distributors who set have an established MSRP which the dealers must advertise. The dealers can sell at cost but they choose not to. This has nothing to do with Grado directly in terms of profits on the margins.

Quote:

BTW, sorry if i appear to be rude, I am not trying to be.
redface.gif

That's fine, I understand how people can get heated and words don't relay tone or body language which is 80% of communication
smily_headphones1.gif

I understand the frustration, what bothers me is that folks seem to think that Grado is doing this on purpose. They aren't purposely organizing high prices internationally when they make less on them. They may be locked into long term contracts. They might really need distributor/dealer networks that currently exist and cant' take the risk or choose not to take the risk of permitting other vendors to invade the territories or rather siphon sales.

We have some data, we have very little overall. All I want is balanced statements. When I read a lot of theoretical nonsense, mumbojumbo or idealism in economics...then it does bother me because it paints Grado as a tyrant personally, which I think is heinous to do to someone, anyone, when it is undeserving.

Aug 22, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #66 of 84
Quote:

I understand the frustration, what bothers me is that folks seem to think that Grado is doing this on purpose. They aren't purposely organizing high prices internationally when they make less on them. They may be locked into long term contracts. They might really need distributor/dealer networks that currently exist and cant' take the risk or choose not to take the risk of permitting other vendors to invade the territories or rather siphon sales.

But Grado is doing this on purpose. Grado is the one with the "power." It setup its international distribution system, signed contracts with distributors, created the policy of no US-to-Europe sales, and punished US retailers who sold outside the US.

It could be true that Grado makes less per headphone sold in Europe than in the US. It could be true that Grado has multi-year distributor contracts. It could be true that European distributors are the ones marking up the prices of Grado headphones.

But all this was setup and created by Grado in the first place. Ultimately, Grado is responsible. If a distributor acts against the interests of Grado, Grado can take action against that distributor or change its policies.

I can only conclude that the situation is the way it is because Grado set it up that way. If Grado was dissatisfied with its international distribution policies, it could change them. Being "locked into" distributor contracts is not an excuse.

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #67 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But Grado is doing this on purpose. Grado is the one with the "power." It setup its international distribution system, signed contracts with distributors, created the policy of no US-to-Europe sales, and punished US retailers who sold outside the US.

"Punishing" amounts to a reprimand with a threat of discontinuing the ability to sell items if they continued to infringe on another territory. Such "punishments" are a part of contracts. You indicate they have the power, again you have no idea what you are talking about and this is what bothers me. You don't have the contracts in front of you. You don't know what the distributors demanded for their support in foreign countries. You speculate and write as if you do know 100%. You don't and this is irritating for those that do want balance.

Quote:

It could be true that Grado makes less per headphone sold in Europe than in the US.

Not could, but do. We know this bit of info 100%.

Quote:

It could be true that Grado has multi-year distributor contracts.

Right.

Quote:

It could be true that European distributors are the ones marking up the prices of Grado headphones.

They are and we know this.

Quote:

But all this was setup and created by Grado in the first place. Ultimately, Grado is responsible. If a distributor acts against the interests of Grado, Grado can take action against that distributor or change its policies.

This is the fundamental flaw in your argument and the one that many people seem to miss. Who is indicating that anyone is acting against the interests of Grado? Again, before the web, the ONLY means of selling successfully was through dealers and heavy advertising in magazines etc. Grado doesn't advertise so their reliance on dealers was crucial. Distributors have a lot of power in many industries and I would assume this is the case in audio. Do you want your product easily available in another country? You need a distributor.

Because neither of us know exactly what the contracts outline you indicate one possible situation: Grado set this all up and can undo it at will. It is fundamentally their own fault for the high prices.

Another possible situation is as follows:

In the early decades of Grado, they were very successful. Dealers wanted Grado products on their shelves and a distributor didn't have to work very hard to get the products in stores because of the demand.

Enter the 1980's...vinyl is on its way out, cartridges and tonearms aren't selling at all and the entry into the headphone market on a whim of the owner isn't going well at all. The headphones are expensive to make and putting the company further in the red. They simply aren't selling enough to keep the company going.

Stores aren't stocking Grado, Grado is a "dying" company and the distributors have lost confidence.

John takes over and designs some new products. Obviously he wants them in the stores so he goes to their old distributors and negotiates with them. Distributors are willing but want so extended security for their dealers (the dealers are the ones that push for "protection"). So John signs a contract with a set MSRP (at the time the US dollar is crazy strong) and off we go. Contract is for 10 years renewable.

After 10 years the net is becoming widely accepted but still not the hot spot it is today. In the previous 10 years John has turned his company around, making profits and doing well, has a full line of carts and headphones that many really enjoy. With the resurgance of vinyl and the anticipation of reliable and small DAPs (iPod), headphones and carts are a healthy business. Finally, out of the red! He renews the contract for another 10 years.

We are still in that 10 year period. Breaking the contract has legal and financial ramifications. Amending the contract is not possible unilaterally and the distributors are happy with the status quo.

Head-fiers in Europe complain about the disproportionately high prices calling them obseen and illogical.

We discuss on head-fi.

The above is a hypothetical. I'm speculating like anyone else here. However, my hypothetical follows a logical sequence of events, some of which we know to be true. Who in their right mind would ask a company to break contracts illegally, possibly destroy business relationships that go back decades all because of some disgruntled folks in a few regions? Apparently quite a few head-fiers.

Quote:

Look

I can only conclude that the situation is the way it is because Grado set it up that way. If Grado was dissatisfied with its international distribution policies, it could change them. Being "locked into" distributor contracts is not an excuse.

Look, you can conclude whatever you like but you have no data so your conclusions are based on biased assumptions without any conception or at least reasonable consideration for legally binding long-term and long standing contracts. If Grado was dissatisfied with its internation distribution policies it could change after a time, we don't know if they could at any single point in time. You don't know this but again you claim this as a solid fact. Being locked into a distributor contract IS an excuse and your dismissal of such is a clear indication you have absolutely no knowledge or experience in contract law.

Seriously folks, hypothesize, go ahead do so, but when you do, make sure to use words and phrases like:

"I think"
"I hope"
"I don't believe"
"I do believe"

etc. Because it is very very obvious to anyone with even a hint of experience in commerce that a good many folks commenting are just plain wrong. The problem with this? They are the most vocal collectively no doubt, they are mostly negatively slanted and they misrepresent themselves and Grado via the ignorance of members without knowledge of the history or the facts.

I am not John's best friend. We've chatted on numerous occasions and I respect the man but I don't know intimate details about his business. I know as much as I outlined in the interview. I do know that John is a very generous person, not just on Head-fi (HF-1's, HP-1000 auction etc) but also personally donating money to a worthy foundation. He is a family man, directing his energy towards maintaining a business that will comfortably support himself and his family into the future. He wants to leave the company, a successful healthy one, to his sons.

Such a man, as I see it, wouldn't intensionally try to upset or maintain an upsetting situation. If people are upset because of pricing and/or the fact that companies can't ship outside their own territory it seems to me this would be something John would address. How many stories are there of people sending headphones back and never having to pay anything for repairs, even on items out of warranty? This doesn't sound like a company set on making extra money any way possible. Moreover, he sells to distributors at a lower cost than he sells to dealers in the US. He makes less internationally AND if people are correct in their hypotheses that having enforcing lower MSRPs and/or permitting inter-territorial selling would increase profits overall, it seems logical he would do so.

When I read scathing remarks I want to find out the background of the situation as much as possible, the foundation for those remarks and determine for myself if they are true. If I don't have enough data, I don't agree with the negative opinion nor do I agree with the positive. I'll stay neutral but history and getting a handle on the people involved in any situation is an excellent measure for getting a baseline on overall ethics and integrity. This is why I defend Grado when these threads come up.

When people use words like "power" or "on purpose" they better know their facts. Elphas, you have no data, none at all to back up any of your arguments so you come off as one with an agenda. I've stated my agenda explicitly. I will defend anyone who is slammed when the data is missing or erroneously interpreted. In this case, we have no or little data. So I defend. I do this for a living so it is not a bias for Grado directly.

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #68 of 84
Quote:

And I can send them to any fellas in Europe
wink.gif
(And it's not illegal in my perception)

Metalears, unofficial EU Grado-distributor of headfi?
tongue.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #69 of 84
seems like i've started a heated discussion
smily_headphones1.gif
it was not my intention to target the grado company, just the situation.

it does make sense with the contract stuff, especially since the dollar was much stronger a few years ago, so at that time the prices would've been about equal. this doesn't change the fact that with the lower dollar, european prices have no reason not to have lowered since it is also cheaper for the distributor to get them now.
same thing with pc/tv/apple-stuff, for a long time they were the same price with a different sign in front of it, now the € numbers are a bit lower than the $ prices.

of course, the dealers themselves have no real reason to lower the prices, they know there are no fast changing new models coming out, and there is no real competition since everyone has the same prices, they are only found in the hifi-shops (not the BestBuy/MediaMarkt shops) and they have their own sound-signatures.

for us europeans, the sr125 i had is only €50 short of a sennheiser hd650 (€250 internet), and so they do fall in something like the same price-class, if i could only could buy one it would be a tough choice, also quality wise they are 'comparable'.
Doesn't change the fact that if i can get a 325i for the same price as a 125 here, from a US store that does the shipping (even free in this case) i'm not going to complain.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #71 of 84
Quote:

This is the fundamental flaw in your argument and the one that many people seem to miss. Who is indicating that anyone is acting against the interests of Grado?

That was exactly my point, that the European distributors are acting in Grado's interests. If they were not, Grado would do something about it, such as change distributors or change its policies. If Grado is unable to do so for any reason, such as a contract, that was Grado's own doing.

Quote:

If Grado was dissatisfied with its internation distribution policies it could change after a time, we don't know if they could at any single point in time. You don't know this but again you claim this as a solid fact. Being locked into a distributor contract IS an excuse and your dismissal of such is a clear indication you have absolutely no knowledge or experience in contract law.

If Grado is locked into distributor contracts, it was its own doing. It signed the contract in the first place, presumably of its own free will and believing that the contract is to its best interests.

Quote:

This is why I defend Grado when these threads come up.

A lot of what you're saying isn't directly relevant to the question, "why are Grados so expensive in Europe?" How nice a guy John Grado is, while interesting, has nothing to do with this question.

Quote:

When people use words like "power" or "on purpose" they better know their facts. Elphas, you have no data, none at all to back up any of your arguments so you come off as one with an agenda. I've stated my agenda explicitly. I will defend anyone who is slammed when the data is missing or erroneously interpreted. In this case, we have no or little data. So I defend. I do this for a living so it is not a bias for Grado directly.

Your response attacking me and accusing me of an agenda indicates your bias.

My point was simple: Ultimately, Grado is responsible for its European distributors. It appointed the distributors. It entered into distribution contracts with them. It set policies. Grado is the one company that is ultimately responsible for the distribution and sales of its products. Blaming the European distributors for the high prices is equivalent to blaming Grado.

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #72 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Metalears, unofficial EU Grado-distributor of headfi?
tongue.gif

Why not?
tongue.gif

I, from now on, declare myself as the unofficial EU Grado-distributor of Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Anything to increase the sales of Grado internationally...

Aug 23, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #73 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your response attacking me and accusing me of an agenda indicates your bias.

Of course it indicates my bias I outright proclaimed my bias and went to great lengths to explain why I have a bias. That is why I bring in the Grado is a nice guy line. The way people act he is a tyrant purposely screwing Europeans.

Quote:

My point was simple: Ultimately, Grado is responsible for its European distributors. It appointed the distributors. It entered into distribution contracts with them. It set policies. Grado is the one company that is ultimately responsible for the distribution and sales of its products. Blaming the European distributors for the high prices is equivalent to blaming Grado.

Actually, it isn't equivalent to blaming Grado. If a contract was set in place when currency differences were such that the current MSRPs made sense and such contracts for better or for worse didn't outline adjustments for currency changes, then the MSRPs would be the same for the 10 year period for instance. Therefore, the distributors would be under no obligation to change the MSRP from that outlined in the contract until the contract was up for renewal.

At the end of the day it is the dealer who sells the product and it is the dealer who is responsible for the high cost of the products. Again, the dealers could sell $1 above their cost. They are choosing not to and for good reason apparently. The items are still selling and at the high prices.

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #74 of 84
Quote:

If a contract was set in place when currency differences were such that the current MSRPs made sense and such contracts for better or for worse didn't outline adjustments for currency changes, then the MSRPs would be the same for the 10 year period for instance. Therefore, the distributors would be under no obligation to change the MSRP from that outlined in the contract until the contract was up for renewal.

Sounds about right. When the SR 60 was introduced in Canada in early 1994, the list was $120, compared to $69 in the US. So factoring in the currency difference and allowing for the distributor (and the dealer) to make a profit, the price seems reasonable. Nothing strange about a product being cheaper in it's country of origin.

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #75 of 84
This topic has been discussed here 100 times, that is John Grado prerrogative, and a perosnal way of doing business, it worked for him, and if any doubt of that, just ask him and period, please move on...I will never get a Grado, as I do not like the house sound, look, and prices, but if I would lived in Europe, there are always ways of going around that policy if you are really interested, for example you can use any friend here in headfi that live in US, to get them and ship them to you...period...

deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back